Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

MINI S questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 05:21 PM
ryansoxfan
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINI S questions

hey everyone, i just my first mini two days ago. it is an 03 s with 85k. i have a few problems with it and i figured this is the best place to ask for help. first off, the car is from a state that didn't have front license plates but my state (nebraska) requires them. there is no bracket on the car. the local mini dealer wants $68 for a bracket. there is one for an 06 on ebay for about $30. will the 06 bracket fit my 03 car?? next, my glovebox keeps popping open. i have looked at it and i don't see anything wrong with the latch mechanism. has anyone else had this problem? any advice on how to fix it? and the biggest problem with my mini is that it makes a "clunking" noise from the left front wheelwell area when i make left turns. i am guessing this is a cv shaft but i'm not sure yet. i haven't had a chance to dig into it. does anyone else have a guess to what this noise could be? thanks a lot for all of your advice. i look forward to driving my mini for many years to come!!

Old 09-05-2007, 06:05 PM
marknrob
1st Gear
An o3' and 06' basic bumper should be identical.

I inspected my glove box too and I don’t see any adjustments that can be made. I'm guessing (maybe someone else will chime in here) that the spring in the handle portion is worn out. I would bet that the glove box door would come apart so you can access the handle from the inside to replace the spring or assembly.

That "clunking" I am betting is the upper strut support! This is easy to check too.. At the top of the front struts, there is a black-mushroomed disc, look for any cracks going around the disc. I have an 03' w/53k and have had to replace it twice now. I always contributed it to the rough roads I travel but it seems to be a fairly common problem. It's not too difficult to change yourself if you a bit mechanically incline.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:22 PM
ryansoxfan
2nd Gear
thanks

thanks for the tips. i checked the strut towers and both of them have what looks like a rubber bushing that has ripped/broken around the top of the strut. i'm pretty sure this is what the problem is. i took pics of this with my phone. sorry for the quality. is this the part you are talking about or is this something different. thanks for the help.

Attached Thumbnails MINI S questions-09-05-07_2015.jpg   MINI S questions-09-05-07_2016.jpg  
Old 09-05-2007, 06:39 PM
marknrob
1st Gear
Yep! Unfortunatly they will both need to be replaced Check this thread out though. Might be able to get more info. If I recall, the actual part cost about 35$ each side and took me maybe 2 hours each to replace (taking my sweet ole time about it), but I had never done any repair like it before. I would prefer to work on older american cars but I wasnt going to pay the dealer to do it.. lol :impatient

Old 09-05-2007, 06:41 PM
marknrob
1st Gear
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...=strut+support

opps, forgot the thread to direct you too. lol

Old 09-05-2007, 06:54 PM
ryansoxfan
2nd Gear
thanks for the good tips. looks like i have a weekend project. did you get the replacement parts from mini? or is there a better aftermarket option? also, did you put on the metal plates on top of the towers?

Old 09-05-2007, 07:01 PM
marknrob
1st Gear
Yes, got the parts from the dealer. The metal plates are attached to the hard plastic...
I'll look around for the instructions I found and used to change the support and post it if I do find it again.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:30 PM
Brihyanna
6th Gear
You can always get the no-holes bracket instead of the bumper thing. ... www.gominigo.com

Old 09-05-2007, 09:24 PM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The first thing you should spend money on is a repair manual http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Cooper-Se.../dp/0837615119 .

The glove box latch can be adjusted, remove the glove box to get to the striker and move it forward for positive engagement.

For more negative camber up front the stock guide supports can be replaced with fixed or adjustable camber plates. The fixed plates from Ireland Engineering have a similar rubber bushing around the upper bearing like the stock piece so they are not quite as harsh as solid mount spherical bearings found on most adjustable plates. http://www.lonestarminiclub.com/foru...read.php?t=361 For the installation it will be the same as replacing the front springs https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=92737

Some deformation of the strut tower usually accompanies a torn guide support bushing so be sure to inspect the tower above the strut. Lots of info can be found in many threads here on NAM about this issue. Here is one on another forum that covers the basics http://www.mini2.com/forum/wheels-ty...shrooming.html .

Placing one of those “plates” you mentioned above the strut tower will do nothing for preventing this deformation from occurring so spend your money elsewhere.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:46 PM
pmfranke
2nd Gear
GLOVE BOX problem ; If changing the $10.00 plastic striker doesnt work. Check to see if the chrome handle latch is wobbly. if it kind of twists then its broken.The glove box handle is a problem because you have to break the door apart to get to the latch .The chrome handle latch is probably broken because it was designed poorly and changed in 04. There are 5 screws that hold the glove box cassette in .Then pop the hinge bar clip , pull the bar out . Now from the hinge side pry the two pieces apart.There are 40 tabs that are glued together that hold the glove box door together.you have to use some force to break it apart. Make sure you look at how the two spring clips fit into the back of the handle.The handle will be broken so get some 5 min. two part epoxy and glue the handle back together . fit the springs. put the handle back through the outside skin ,bend the tabs out to fit the hindge in. Test for clearance . Then put it back together glueing all the tabs! you will be amazed how well it works. Just like new! or buy a whole new glove box at the dealer for $260.00. good luck. Peter.

Last edited by pmfranke; 09-11-2007 at 01:17 PM. Reason: correction s
Old 09-11-2007, 02:17 PM
ryansoxfan
2nd Gear
thanks for the tips! i am going to try to fix the glove box this weekend. is the 04 style better? would the 04 style fit an 03?

Old 09-17-2007, 07:56 PM
ryansoxfan
2nd Gear
i found a complete 06 glove box assembly for sale. will that fit my 03 or are they different? thanks.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:05 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Should be no problem with fitting it.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:46 AM
chadtoolio
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
The 06 glove box has a lock on it. You can get a matched lock cylinder for your car to match your keys from your lock dealer....

Old 09-19-2007, 06:48 PM
MidnightDave
5th Gear
Ryan, if you don't have the front plate bracket yet, PM me your address and I'll send you mine free. Don't need it and won't move to a state that requires 'em, I'm quirky that way. ;-)

Plus I yelled at a guy at work today and need to contribute to the Karma bank to make up for it!

Old 09-19-2007, 07:01 PM
ryansoxfan
2nd Gear
thanks but i actually made my own bracket. similar to the ones at gominigo but built it for free!

Old 09-19-2007, 08:20 PM
EDM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good luck with your new cooper