South East Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi

Movin' to Savannah...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 07:15 PM
Born2Slow
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Movin' to Savannah...

Well, my g/f, whom you may know as OmToast here in the forums is going to be going to SCAD. (Savannah College of Art and Design).

So being the nice b/f that I am and the fact that I am getting tired of my current job and living in CT and..etc etc etc... I will more than likely be coming down with her.

Now, my question is (and hopefully this is the right part of the forum to post this question in)...where does an engineer get a job in the Savannah area?? I have checked various sites for job openings (including monster and career builder, both of which are not entirely helpful) and I am having a hard time finding anything to do within 30 - 45 minutes from Savannah.

I currently work for General Dynamics, which owns Gulfstream in Savannah...however, I am not an aerospace engineer, I am a marine/mechanical engineer...doesn't quite fit. So if anyone has any ideas of companies that I may try taking a look at in the Savannah vicinity, I would be greatly appreciative!!!

If anyone would like any further information on my background, just PM me.

thanks!

Old 02-08-2006, 06:00 AM
kseckel99
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Born2Slow
Well, my g/f, whom you may know as OmToast here in the forums is going to be going to SCAD. (Savannah College of Art and Design).

So being the nice b/f that I am and the fact that I am getting tired of my current job and living in CT and..etc etc etc... I will more than likely be coming down with her.

Now, my question is (and hopefully this is the right part of the forum to post this question in)...where does an engineer get a job in the Savannah area?? I have checked various sites for job openings (including monster and career builder, both of which are not entirely helpful) and I am having a hard time finding anything to do within 30 - 45 minutes from Savannah.

I currently work for General Dynamics, which owns Gulfstream in Savannah...however, I am not an aerospace engineer, I am a marine/mechanical engineer...doesn't quite fit. So if anyone has any ideas of companies that I may try taking a look at in the Savannah vicinity, I would be greatly appreciative!!!

If anyone would like any further information on my background, just PM me.

thanks!
Good luck in your job search.
Daughter and son-in-law lives there. He's stationed at Hunter Army Air Field and we love going up to visit. Savannah is such a nice place. Love to eat breakfast at Clarey's (sp).
If you see a Chili Red/White Mini with an MU Skins FL plate, say hi.

Old 03-06-2006, 07:44 AM
MiniRed
1st Gear
Well, as soon as you mentioned engineering, I immediately thought of Gulfstream, as they are a huge employer in the area. Perhaps you could fit in somewhere at Gulfstream. But besides that, we have a huge port here with a lot of "marine" companies. Thunderbolt Marine, Savannah Marine Services, Global Ship Systems, etc. Unfortunately, sites like Monster and Career Builder won't do much good for you down here.

Hurray! What will OmToast be studying here at SCAD?! It's a great school, but then I am totally biased. I work here and love it.

Old 03-06-2006, 09:18 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been tossin' around this very same idea to the very same place. My girlfriend's aunt lives in Savannah. I've lived in CT since I was three, so I not only would like a change of scenery, but to live somewhere where it's warm/kinda warm all the time. No hijack intended, Born2Slow. Just thought it was kinda funny your thread title is what I was thinking.

Old 03-07-2006, 03:42 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Red -- I'll be studying for an MFA in architectural history

And Partsman... do it! do it! Must I link you to Savannah weather?

Old 03-07-2006, 03:46 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OmToast
Red -- I'll be studying for an MFA in architectural history

And Partsman... do it! do it! Must I link you to Savannah weather?
You going to become a nyce, suthun gal..... Sure is pretty down there..a bit humid but then again, living in VA was humid too....and Wowza are there some COOL old Victorian places to live if you are in to that style....

Donna

Old 03-07-2006, 03:56 PM
Born2Slow
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniRed
Well, as soon as you mentioned engineering, I immediately thought of Gulfstream, as they are a huge employer in the area. Perhaps you could fit in somewhere at Gulfstream. But besides that, we have a huge port here with a lot of "marine" companies. Thunderbolt Marine, Savannah Marine Services, Global Ship Systems, etc. Unfortunately, sites like Monster and Career Builder won't do much good for you down here.

Hurray! What will OmToast be studying here at SCAD?! It's a great school, but then I am totally biased. I work here and love it.
I have submitted my resume to Gulfstream, but have not heard anything from them yet. Though I have applied for an engineering job with the Army Corps of Engineers at the Savannah regional construction office. We'll see how that goes.

As for the Port of Savannah and related marine companies, I have been looking...but they don't seem to be in need of any engineers at the moment. However, I do intend on sending their respective HR's an email just to see if there is something that hasn't been posted online!

PARTSMAN109, maybe we can share job prospects!

Old 03-07-2006, 05:13 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Donna/Mike
You going to become a nyce, suthun gal..... Sure is pretty down there..a bit humid but then again, living in VA was humid too....and Wowza are there some COOL old Victorian places to live if you are in to that style....

Donna

Why, ah most certainly ay-em, Miss Donna Ah had some practice in undergra-yed -- went to school in Var-gin-ya

I'm going to spend the entire 3 years drooling over the architecture!

Old 03-07-2006, 07:15 PM
MiniRed
1st Gear
OmToast, where did you go to school in VA??? Was it by chance at Mr. Jefferson's University?

Old 06-03-2006, 09:37 AM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
^^ Looks like I'm a little late on this one but, no, I didn't go to Mr. Jefferson's University. I went to Mrs. Washington's.

Old 06-03-2006, 02:28 PM
MiniRed
1st Gear
Mrs. Washington's University... good one! I have a lot of friends living up in Fredericksburg. Some very beautiful and quaint areas.

So when are you starting your MFA here? Summer quarter? Fall quarter? You won't believe the per capita of MINI's in downtown Savannah! It seems like there's one on every corner, and we don't even have our own dealership.

Old 06-03-2006, 05:48 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
I'll be starting Fall quarter, but I hope to be moved in somewhere by mid August. I'm extremely excited -- even moreso now that I know there are MINIs all over the place. I was there once, almost 3 years ago, and there weren't many, yet. Good to know Savannahians have gotten on board!

I really liked Freddyburg -- great place to visit

Old 06-04-2006, 04:26 AM
snooter
Mr. MOTD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All I know is that I just went to Savannah for the first time this year. Any town that has Lacrosse games and Ultimate Frisbee games all weekend in the park, is a gotta be a GREAT town to live in

Old 07-14-2006, 01:40 PM
SoCar S
4th Gear
Nice another SCAD person.
Graduated from SCAD in 1994... Dang has it changed. It sure wasn't like that when I went there. I visited not to long ago and thought... I might like to finish up a couple of classes and take some new ones!

Old 07-27-2006, 06:30 AM
actualsize
2nd Gear
Savannah's a beautiful place! A bit too southern for me but still a nice place to visit from time to time.

Old 08-01-2006, 02:29 PM
Murmini
3rd Gear
Welcome to Savannah

Welcome to Savannah. Good site to keep your mouse on is http://thecreativecoast.org/

Oh... and the local mini site http://www.murmini.com/

PS: Anyone in the Savannah area thinking of going to the MTTS event? murmini is doing sections 9 - 12....

Old 08-03-2006, 02:45 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
I love the Creative Coast website and have been checking in. It's making ME want to look for a job

Thanks for the Murmini link, too

Old 08-03-2006, 04:07 PM
davn8r
3rd Gear
You'll LOVE Savannah!

I just moved away from Savannah (took a job in SoFla that I couldn't pass up) after living there for a good five years or so. It's awesome. My wife and I lived downtown, and there were at least four MINI's within a block of where I parked mine. Odd, I guess, that there aren't any nearby dealers. I would NOT recommend the Charleston dealership. Jax is about the same distance, but I don't have any experience with them to say one way or the other. As for jobs, you'll find that most of the "good" jobs in Savannah never make the paper or the job boards. It's all about who you know, so start socializing the moment you set foot beneath the Spanish moss!

It really is an awesome town. Enjoy!

Old 08-03-2006, 04:55 PM
fillelectrique
2nd Gear
SCAD grad here too! 94-98.
Everyone in my family has lived in Savannah at one point or another. My sister and her soon-to-be-hubby live there right now.