Sota MINIs The Sota MINIs (Minnesota) club forum.

MINIsota Motoring Society to PKI

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 07:52 AM
adame
Coordinator :: MINIsota Motoring Society (MMS)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MINIsota Motoring Society to PKI - updated!

According to an article over at Motoringfile, it seems that the new Paramount King's Island MINI Stunt ride (PKIMSR) is going to be open in April or May! However, this is uncomfirmed as of now.

Here's the thread that started it all.
****UPDATE 03/03/05****

DISCLAIMER - This is totally seperate from the thread I linked to above. I am on that thread hoping for something to happen, but it seems to have stalled. This thread is for a similar event, but this will be something that MMS (and other groups) have control over. I don't mean to take away from the earlier mentioned thread or take over. This is our own event, with our own contact person. ~Adam

Now - on to the good stuff!
Someone in our local group got in touch with a representative at PKI and we have found out that this person is in charge of organizing an event for the PKIMSR. They are looking for ideas and thoughts as to make it a cool event and pull a decent showing.

Currently I don't know too much, as I just found this out, but I'll be updating you guys as I find out and should be exchanging emails with them very soon.

Here's what is being kicked around so far:

• MINI USA will not be involved, so PKI is promoting this themselves
  • They're looking for MINI owners from all over
  • There's talk of catered food all day - DUDE!!
  • Dedicated parking
  • A Rally from Oxford, OH to PKI
  • And early rides for us
  • For all you running the Dragon - tentative date of June 18
I'll be contacting area clubs after I hear back from PKI about what they want to pull off. This has the potential to be rather large. PKI will be looking for ideas as well, so start brainstorming! Feel free to follow along here and throw out some ideas.

Last edited by adame; 03-03-2005 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Found a contact at PKI
Old 01-04-2005, 10:28 AM
cooperdude
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds good to me

Old 03-03-2005, 12:09 PM
adame
Awesome news!!

I updated the first post in this thread to reflect some changes that we've encountered, which is very exciting. Once I hear more from PKI I'll post it here. In the meantime, I'd love to hear from you guys what types of things we could get done at this party. Here are a couple of quick thoughts from me that I posted in another thread - feel free to add yours:
  • How about a tour of the ride from the crew leader who put it together? See some of the behind-the-scenes stuff!
  • Club-specific parking spots
  • MINI car show for regular park patrons - maybe have a lane of MINIs for patrons to walk through as they enter the park.
  • Have us fellow MINI owners pass out TIJ literature in the parking lot to incoming patrons
  • Park MINIs nose-to-tail from the park entrance to the ride entrance
  • Early rides for us - before the park opens! [img]images/smilies/thumb-up.gif[/img]

Old 03-03-2005, 12:30 PM
southriver
1st Gear
Awesome news!!

Sounds like you have a great list there Adam. I especially like the nose to tail line of MINIs! :smile: If it is tenatively June 18th it sounds like I am going to have to kick the inlaws out early

Old 03-03-2005, 12:33 PM
adame
Originally Posted by mahaneyrobkathie
If it is tenatively June 18th it sounds like I am going to have to kick the inlaws out early
And that's not always so bad is it.....

Old 03-03-2005, 02:15 PM
MINItencan
Coordinator :: MINI Car Club of Indiana (MINICCI)
I would assume (I use that word with caution) the ride will already be open to the general public by June 18 or would that the opening date? If the info I have gotten is correct they should be ready to start testing some of the equipment sometime in April so I would think by the June date it would already be up and running.

Old 03-04-2005, 05:42 AM
adame
That's my impression as well. That the ride will already have been opened for awhile before our little shindig is to happen. Hopefully all the "bugs" will have been worked out and we won't have to worry about gettin stuck on it somewhere!

Old 03-10-2005, 08:47 AM
alpinamike
5th Gear
so the dragon is the 18th of june?

I thought it was the may 5-8, and the park opening was around that also!
-alpinamike

Old 03-10-2005, 08:52 AM
adame
Originally Posted by alpinamike
I thought it was the may 5-8, and the park opening was around that also!
-alpinamike
The date for the Dragon hasn't changed - that I know of. THIS is something totally different and seperate from the Dragon and the opening of PKI.

Hope that helps,

Old 03-10-2005, 08:56 AM
alpinamike
5th Gear
oh ok.

So their is another meet down their on the 18th of june?
And the park opening , hopefully runs around the begining of may(5-8) like the dragon. Does the ride open at this time?

Old 03-10-2005, 10:01 AM
adame
Yes - currently there are two events in the works at PKI that have to do with the Italian Job ride. Both are seperate from each and on different dates. I don't know many details about the other event, as that thread seems to have stalled as the original poster hasn't updated in quite some time.

The event that we're working on, also involves PKI and the Italian Job ride. We have a contact at the park who is in charge of an event for the ride. Tentatively the date is June 17th and 18th and has nothing to do with the Dragon or the previously mentioned event. The ride will most likely already be up and running by the time our event happens.

Adam

Old 03-14-2005, 07:17 AM
benzamg
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by adame
Yes - currently there are two events in the works at PKI that have to do with the Italian Job ride. Both are seperate from each and on different dates. I don't know many details about the other event, as that thread seems to have stalled as the original poster hasn't updated in quite some time.

The event that we're working on, also involves PKI and the Italian Job ride. We have a contact at the park who is in charge of an event for the ride. Tentatively the date is June 17th and 18th and has nothing to do with the Dragon or the previously mentioned event. The ride will most likely already be up and running by the time our event happens.

Adam
Too bad this is scheduled during MINIs on Top. I'm sure there are many from the Northeast who might otherwise make the trip out west... Sounds awesome.

Old 03-14-2005, 08:20 AM
adame
Update from PKI

Here's a little teaser I got on Friday, from the park...

We are putting the finishing touches on our special MINI owners
package to present to you for your consideration.... Before we make
the offer public.

We hope to be in touch soon.... Have a great weekend,
I can't wait to see what is all involved. I'll post more as I get it.

Old 03-14-2005, 09:03 AM
alpinamike
5th Gear
I hope not June 18th

I am going to vegas on the 12th -24th and will not be able to go. I was guessing the beginning of june. But then i will be in the carribean(Aruba), so maybe this will change, any chance? So between JUNE 5th- 12th I will have time. Email me ASAP when you find any more from PKI. This is one event of the year that do not want to miss! Because I don't know If I am going to make it to the Dragon .
-alpinamike

Old 03-14-2005, 09:09 AM
adame
Currently I have to go with the 17th and 18th as dates. Sorry! HOWEVER, once we receive the "proposed" plans, the date may have changed. We'll just have to wait and see.

I must say that Vegas vs. Ohio is a tough call!

Old 03-14-2005, 12:06 PM
Jenn B
6th Gear
That date sounds fabulous to me! I'm defiantely in if it's after May

Old 03-14-2005, 12:29 PM
red rage
4th Gear
Why is there a Rally from Oxford, Ohio -Home of Miami University, and not much else ?

I am an Alumni of MIAMI, so no problem visitng there, just not sure what the purpose would be, maybe we will race thru the halls of the University, down the slant walk and race to the amusement park?

Old 03-14-2005, 12:47 PM
alpinamike
5th Gear
Well I already have it booked for both trips!

VEGAS AND 7 day cruise(payed for already) Vs. MINI MEETS
That is the trouble with the meets they are nor set in stone, except dragon and they are in the summer, and thats it!
Thats the only time i have off, and they should be just on the weekends, most people work and cannot get off.
Thats my rant .
Well if i win alot of money in Vegas or on the ship. It would make up for the missed MINI Meet.
AND too bad the vegas Chapter starts things early or I could meet up with them.
-alpinamike

Old 03-15-2005, 05:47 AM
adame
Originally Posted by red rage
Why is there a Rally from Oxford, Ohio -Home of Miami University, and not much else ?

I am an Alumni of MIAMI, so no problem visitng there, just not sure what the purpose would be, maybe we will race thru the halls of the University, down the slant walk and race to the amusement park?
All of the events listed so far are tentative. Our contact is going to be sending us some sort of proposal of events for us to check out - hopefully this week sometime. Once I read that, I'll have insight as to what length they plan on going to to make this event awesome. It sounds like I'll be able to send feedback as to what else could be included.

As far as the rally from Oxford, it's a bow to the hometown of where the Mini was put together.

Old 03-15-2005, 05:50 AM
adame
If you are reading this and you're a member of a local club or chapter or whatever, please talk to your group and see if you can give me some sort of rough guestimate as to how many MINIs you think would be able to attend on June 17th and 18th. That way I'll be able to reply with a rough number so our contact can plan the events with a number in mind. You can post here or email me.

Thanks!

Adam

Old 03-20-2005, 09:08 PM
MINItencan
Coordinator :: MINI Car Club of Indiana (MINICCI)
Originally Posted by adame
If you are reading this and you're a member of a local club or chapter or whatever, please talk to your group and see if you can give me some sort of rough guestimate as to how many MINIs you think would be able to attend on June 17th and 18th. That way I'll be able to reply with a rough number so our contact can plan the events with a number in mind. You can post here or email me.

Thanks!

Adam
It was mentioned today at our Sunday drive that the dates you are looking at (June 17-18) are Formula 1 weekend. That will be a huge conflict! From the first year to the second the number of MINIs there almost doubled and more expected this year, and most have already purchased tickets for the race.

Maybe the dates could be other than that weekend? I know most of our club will be tied up with F1 activities.

Old 03-21-2005, 09:02 AM
adame
Thanks....I'll make note of the conflict - along with MINIs on Top - and see what I can do about the date.

Old 03-28-2005, 08:43 AM
adame
Everyone,

I received confirmation on the date. It's June 18th for sure.

"The 18th is 100% Confirmed..."

I got that from PKI today. I should see details of the events planned by the end of the week. So we are on for 6/18 at PKI in OH.
My apologies to those of you who have prior commitments.

Old 03-30-2005, 11:39 AM
CyebrOgre
3rd Gear
Mini drivers in Omaha and Kansas City are interested in this event! Keep that info coming!

Old 03-30-2005, 11:42 AM
adame
Awesome! Glad to hear of surrounding groups willing to make the trip. Everyday I'm hoping for the email, so everyone cross everything that it comes this week.

Quick Reply: MINIsota Motoring Society to PKI