Site Feedback Open forum for discussion of this site. Post your kudos or criticism so that we can continually improve service to the new MINI community.

Acronyms & slang

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 12:35 PM
investigator
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acronyms & slang

I get frustrated from time to time because of the acronyms and slang terminology in many of the posts. Is there some central place on the website that new members can find out what some of the folks are talking about. Ex: I just bought a CAI from Alta. I went to the Alta website and easily found the expansion of CAI but there are other times when it's not too easy to find these acronyms. It would be useful to those of us who need help to have the posters expand the acronym the first time they use it.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:39 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by investigator
It would be useful to those of us who need help to have the posters expand the acronym the first time they use it.
Well, the problem is, the first time most of us used the various acronyms was a few thousand posts ago, and I don't think you'll find many people who will think to spell out "Cold Air Intake" just because it's the first time "CAI" was used *in that particular thread*.

Seriously, it will get easier the more posts you read, and if there's ever an acronym or slang term you can't figure out from the context of the post, we're all happy to help.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:54 PM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IIs there some central place on the website that new members can find out what some of the folks are talking about.
Start at Minis In General, go to 1st Gear and there is a sticky showing various acronyms. Here is a link to that page directly.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=43877

Old 11-24-2007, 01:26 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Anybody else find it ironic that someone with a user name of "investigator" is asking for help deciphering NAM terminology ?

Just playing with you, as I'm apt to do, investigator.

Yep, reading the board can be challenging at first, but as Scott said, the more you read, the more contextual clues you'll pick up on and the sooner you'll be saying stuff like, "My LB MCSCa with JCW needs a new MFSW".

Old 11-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 11-24-2007, 03:37 PM
pro2slow
1st Gear
I've got to agree with investigator. Is it that hard to spell out “cold air intake”. And what the heck does “MA” mean??

Old 11-24-2007, 03:40 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you don't know, just ask.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:01 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by pro2slow
I've got to agree with investigator. Is it that hard to spell out “cold air intake”. And what the heck does “MA” mean??

Motoring Advisor.

For your normal car owners, that would be "salesman".

Old 11-24-2007, 04:01 PM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pro2slow
Motoring Advisor

Old 11-24-2007, 04:34 PM
investigator
4th Gear
And what, pray tell, is a motoring advisor? Is this the politically correct term for salesman?

Old 11-24-2007, 04:36 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
And what, pray tell, is a motoring advisor? Is this the politically correct term for salesman?
Look up. Yeah, up there... post #8.

Are you really an investigator ??

Old 11-24-2007, 08:15 PM
mauberley
6th Gear
His method of investigating is by direct interrogation. "MA" == "Motoring Advisor" is not so much PC as MINI branding at work.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:24 PM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I did not get my car new, I think I can help explaining the idea behind calling the MINI salesperson a Motoring Advisor. MINI has tried very hard to market itself as a different car company. Hence the reason why they made dealers have stand alone dealerships, their difference in marketing, terminology, etc. They are trying to emphasis customer service and sell a unique product, or at least foster that idea. I have heard that Motoring Advisors strive to be more knowledgeable than the average salesperson. Plus, it makes sense since MINIs to this point have pretty much sold themselves. Hopefully your question was serious and not flippant. If you were just making a joke of asking then skip the response above.

Old 11-25-2007, 07:38 AM
investigator
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ACEkraut11
While I did not get my car new, I think I can help explaining the idea behind calling the MINI salesperson a Motoring Advisor. MINI has tried very hard to market itself as a different car company. Hence the reason why they made dealers have stand alone dealerships, their difference in marketing, terminology, etc. They are trying to emphasis customer service and sell a unique product, or at least foster that idea. I have heard that Motoring Advisors strive to be more knowledgeable than the average salesperson. Plus, it makes sense since MINIs to this point have pretty much sold themselves. Hopefully your question was serious and not flippant. If you were just making a joke of asking then skip the response above.
Thanks for the explanation. My MA was unable to answer any technical questions. Fortunately my passion is cars and I was able to find answers to my questions about the Mini in other places. I've been fooling with cars since 1962 when I brought my first car back with me to the US from Germany where I was stationed for 18 months. It was a Volvo PV544 which probably is unknown to many of you. I lived in England in the early 70's and was involved with a racing team there and was at the local road course, Croft Autodrome, every time there was a race. I was thoroughly impressed with the "tuned" Mini Coopers racing with their 10 inch wheels and tires five inches wide and 998cc engines. So when I needed another car recently I decided I'd go for a Mini. What a blast to drive. I've owned BMWs exclusively since the early 70's and I figured the Mini built by BMW would be a great car to have for fun and work. It is. Yes, I am an investigator. I tried retirement but it didn't work, too boring.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:03 AM
lotsie
Banned
No the PC term would be salesperson.

MA or Motoring Advisor (funny the spell checker wants me to spell it Adviser) is a MINI thing. If you want technical information, ask a SA/Service Advisor, or a Tech/Mechanic

Mark

Old 12-10-2007, 05:58 AM
MiniDaMoocher
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ACEkraut11
.....I have heard that Motoring Advisors strive to be more knowledgeable than the average salesperson.....
When I bought mine a month ago, (thanks to NAM) I knew so much more than my MA, even he commented on it.

Investigator, the acronyms are frustrating especially at first. Bookmark the links supplied by others in the previous posts and refer back as needed. Most of these are not NAM or Mini specific, but come from forum speak and text messaging. Most of them are fairly common and if you can't find one ask. I've been on here 6 months and until this post, I never had anyone specifically tell me what an MA was.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:03 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
I get frustrated from time to time because of the acronyms and slang terminology in many of the posts. Is there some central place on the website that new members can find out what some of the folks are talking about. Ex: I just bought a CAI from Alta. I went to the Alta website and easily found the expansion of CAI but there are other times when it's not too easy to find these acronyms. It would be useful to those of us who need help to have the posters expand the acronym the first time they use it.

I would suggest at the top of each forum a acronyms thread to be a sticky that people coud add too, ie CAI - Clod Air Intake. This may help many new people to the MINI world so many of us know and use terms they don't.