Site Feedback Open forum for discussion of this site. Post your kudos or criticism so that we can continually improve service to the new MINI community.

Marketplace redo - Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 01:08 PM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wake|MCS
I think the preview images are fine as is, after all they are just a PREview. You may not want to view the supersize pic but just the little preview. I agree that it would get a little annoying. I insist that the supersize picture needs to be bigger to allow for more detail.

Note, the supersize feature works like that on eBay as you have noticed.
The current supersize image is set to 600 pixels wide. Is something larger needed? Of course, if someone uploads something already smaller than this it will show the original (even if its smaller) as the supersize image.

Mark

Old 10-29-2007, 03:42 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
At 600 pixels a lot of detail is lost. It really needs to be as large as any other image normally is allowed on NAM. Ideally the larger image would display lower on the page, much like as is found on ebay. Popups might be an issue with the proliferation of popup blockers and an audience that might not be up to snuff on how to allow popups.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:48 PM
Mark
So what size would you like for the supersize?

Old 11-05-2007, 06:07 AM
jascooper
5th Gear
I don't know if this was mentioned (too lazy to read through thread), but the separation of Gen I and Gen II really is a great improvement. Looking forward to it going live.

Also it would be nice if sold items were kept on, just to get and idea of what things sold for or how popular an item is. Maybe it could be filtered to just show completed sales or available items. And final selling price would be nice too.

Last edited by jascooper; 11-05-2007 at 06:12 AM. Reason: addtl comment
Old 11-05-2007, 06:31 AM
PGT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think separating the model years is needed. Many things are generic - those that aren't, it's not hard to specify what kind of car it's for.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:35 AM
jascooper
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
I don't think separating the model years is needed. Many things are generic - those that aren't, it's not hard to specify what kind of car it's for.
Try looking at the marketplace and see how many people don't put that information down. I just looked at a dozen items and realized they were Gen I, not Gen II.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:43 AM
PGT
Banned
of course that's the case. the norm is for Gen I....we have what, six months of Gen II vs. 6 years of Gen II? If it's not said, 99% chance it's Gen I. There honestly is very little movement in 'other items' for sale on NAM vs. other forums I'm on....maybe 10-15 posts/day. Seems a bit much to split down listings now, but I realize it might be prudent longterm if things accelerate

Old 11-05-2007, 06:48 AM
jascooper
5th Gear
Yeah, easy to say when you got a Gen I. But consider the fact that a lot of Gen II owners are looking for stuff for their cars and Gen I owners have had 6 years to get what they wanted.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:07 AM
gnatster
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
The thought is to make the changes now looking towards the future.

The current breakdown on the test site is too complex. There really is no reason break it up so much.

I propose the following:

Cars for Sale (Includes all Mini variants)
Wheels and Tires for Sale
Classic Parts for Sale
Gen 1 Parts for Sale
Gen 2 Parts for Sale
Clubman Specific Parts for Sale
Want to Buy (All Models)

Old 11-05-2007, 07:59 AM
lotsie
Banned
Maybe one for the topless soft toppers also.

Mark

Old 11-05-2007, 08:51 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by gnatster
I propose the following:

Cars for Sale (Includes all Mini variants)
Wheels and Tires for Sale
Classic Parts for Sale
Gen 1 Parts for Sale
Gen 2 Parts for Sale
Clubman Specific Parts for Sale
Want to Buy (All Models)
Originally Posted by lotsie
Maybe one for the topless soft toppers also.

Mark
Actually, if we simplify things, I'd go the other way. No Cabrio-specific one, and no Clubman-specific one either. Both could be handled in the Gen 1 & Gen 2 sections. This would reduce it down to only 5 Marketplace forums.

Just sayin' ...

However, if the general consensus is that we want more detail than that, the first thing that I'd chop out is the broken-out parts sections. 5 parts sections for each gen does seem a bit much... but as others have said above, it really depends on the volume of traffic.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:53 AM
gnatster
6th Gear
The broken out sections make it very hard for those that post a listing of goods. I'm just trying to think of ways to make it as easy as possible for the both the seller and seeker.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:45 AM
jascooper
5th Gear
The broken out sections make it very hard for those that post a listing of goods. I'm just trying to think of ways to make it as easy as possible for the both the seller and seeker.
Should be one post per item anyway. How many people buy a whole list of things?

Old 11-05-2007, 10:20 AM
PGT
Banned
if I'm parting out my car, you'd better believe it will be one thread and not hundreds

Old 11-05-2007, 10:28 AM
jascooper
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
if I'm parting out my car, you'd better believe it will be one thread and not hundreds
So then you put up a post with your list of items, and a post in other sections directing people to your laundry list. Most people buying are looking for one item not a whole parted out car. And most people selling are not selling a whole bunch of stuff

Other than maybe putting all vehicles under one heading, I think the new format is laid out pretty well

Old 11-05-2007, 10:32 AM
noles825
Banned
Although there aren't many of them, maybe have a "barter" or "want to trade" section as well?

It would just be way easier to sift through the classifieds without having to look at the WTT, WTB, and FSs. Just my two cents

Old 11-05-2007, 10:43 AM
gnatster
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jascooper
Should be one post per item anyway. How many people buy a whole list of things?
See this post https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=118880

This is a small one, why should the OP have to create a new thread in the FS for each item. I like the idea of multiple items in one post. Less onerous on the OP.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:09 PM
JustJAY
6th Gear

This is a small one, why should the OP have to create a new thread in the FS for each item. I like the idea of multiple items in one post. Less onerous on the OP.
+1 I like the one thread method as well.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:25 PM
mistro
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OasisT
I kinda like the simple format that its in now. With the new format, there is no way I'll surf all the catagories. I often find myself interested in parts that I wouldn't normally be in the current format because all the parts are listed together. If you break them up into 20 catagories, it just takes too much time to scan the ads IMHO. Who knows though, I'm sure I'll learn to like it, but, thats just my first impression.

I strongly agree.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:14 PM
Mark

Currently we have a lot of categories I built out for just testing purposes. Based on Gnatster's initial feedback I'll prune this down so its a little more basic.

As for the list in multiple items in a given FS post I'm all for it. I don't want to restrict that capability. The user will have the ability to edit their ad so they can "mark" off items that have sold. Once everything is sold the ad can be marked as sold (which closes it).

As for being able to scan everything I was thinking of building a "pulse"-like tool that you could select to view you want (WTB, FS, etc.).

Mark

Old 11-06-2007, 06:15 AM
jascooper
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mark
Once everything is sold the ad can be marked as sold (which closes it).
Any chance sold items will remain available so sellers can get an idea of asking price when they have stuff for sale?

Old 11-06-2007, 07:42 AM
Mark
There is a setting to control this. I currently have it set to display sold ads for a period of 7 days. I could up it further if needed though it would likely make it more frustrating for people to find things that aren't sold.

Mark

Old 11-06-2007, 07:47 AM
jascooper
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mark
There is a setting to control this. I currently have it set to display sold ads for a period of 7 days. I could up it further if needed though it would likely make it more frustrating for people to find things that aren't sold.

Mark
I was thinking of a filter that would display ONLY sold items. Having sold stuff mixed in with for sale items for more than a few days would indeed be a real pain (or will it show 'sold' in the subject line making it unnecessary to open the thread)?

Old 11-06-2007, 07:53 AM
Mark
Originally Posted by jascooper
I was thinking of a filter that would display ONLY sold items. Having sold stuff mixed in with for sale items for more than a few days would indeed be a real pain (or will it show 'sold' in the subject line making it unnecessary to open the thread)?
There doesn't appear to be anything like that in the current version of software. I might, however, be able to write something that acts as a "market report" showing everything that has sold within the last 60 days. It would show
  • title of ad
  • sold price
  • date sold
  • Perhaps a description could be shown in some way as well
This would be one of the tools I would add to a marketplace drop-down (like the Pulse) where you could:
  • jump to the marketplace
  • view a list of all items currently for sale
  • view list of all items in a particular major category for sale
  • market report
Mark

Old 11-25-2007, 09:08 AM
burley
6th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Do we currently have a venue to place feedback for buyers / sellers? Possibly a place to post problems w/ transactions and what could or couldn't be resolved so there's more of an incentive to work things out.

Quick Reply: Marketplace redo - Feedback