Site Feedback Open forum for discussion of this site. Post your kudos or criticism so that we can continually improve service to the new MINI community.

Lovers and Haters - Social Engineering?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 05:37 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
To get back on the Lovers and Haters topic...

A textbook case is happening in THIS THREAD.

My interpretation is that a nice, civil and enthusiastic discussion of a forthcoming product was happening, until two bonafide haters showed up and began a session of hater banter within the thread - based on absolutely ZERO experience with the product being discussed (because it isn't yet available), and not just suggesting "caveat emptor" in a nice, constructive manner, but starting with throwing inflamatory barbs seemingly intended to draw the lovers or non-haters into a verbal fistfight. I don't even have to point to the specific posts or ID the haters - because it will be OBVIOUS when any rational person reads the thread. Without even having past experience with the same haters in other threads...

I'm ready to take that poll for voting folks off the island as Mark suggested. Any time.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:18 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
To get back on the Lovers and Haters topic...

A textbook case is happening in THIS THREAD.

My interpretation is that a nice, civil and enthusiastic discussion of a forthcoming product was happening, until two bonafide haters showed up and began a session of hater banter within the thread - based on absolutely ZERO experience with the product being discussed (because it isn't yet available), and not just suggesting "caveat emptor" in a nice, constructive manner, but starting with throwing inflamatory barbs seemingly intended to draw the lovers or non-haters into a verbal fistfight. I don't even have to point to the specific posts or ID the haters - because it will be OBVIOUS when any rational person reads the thread. Without even having past experience with the same haters in other threads...

I'm ready to take that poll for voting folks off the island as Mark suggested. Any time.
Bwahahaha, I am sure you are ready to take the poll. Spoken like a true lover...

EDIT: Got any actual suggestions?

Old 09-03-2007, 06:34 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Originally Posted by goaljnky
Bwahahaha, I am sure you are ready to take the poll. Spoken like a true lover...

Voting off the island was an actual suggestion. Actually Mark suggested it. I just agreed that in some cases it would be warranted.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:43 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Voting off the island was an actual suggestion. Actually Mark suggested it. I just agreed that in some cases it would be warranted.
Selective reading FTW!! Here is a little something for your additional consideration.

Originally Posted by Mark
My comment about voting people off the island was really just a joke. Another prime example of this type of medium not accurately conveying the intention behind the message. To be specific I was making a joke and I do not wish to implement something like this.

Mark
And now you know. And knowing is half the battle.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:46 PM
gnatster
6th Gear

Yeah..I have a suggestion

Goaljinky, stop taking every opportunity possible to snipe at M7. Ok they did you wrong in your eyes. I don't know the details nor do I care. You are doing yourself no good by constantly beating on everything they say. Not every product that they have may have issues with figment or functionally. Your constant, yet mildly entertaining, drivel has reached a point on NAM that you are looking like a fool.

I know I'm going to take heat from people on this but it's enough. You are ruining my entertainment. I don't want to vote people off, I don't want you to be censored, I only want you to use your innate talent to do something better then snipe at an easy target.

I guess this now will make me an M7 phanbouy (sp) in your jaded eyes.

In the sprint of practicing what I preach I'll stop taking potshots at even easier target. Palo Uber.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:48 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Joke or not, it's the best idea so far in this thread.

Short of that, then let's have some mods with the testicular fortitude to issue the infractions necessary to achieve the same result, when posters have shown an ongoing pattern of non-constructive behavior.

By the way, telling someone that they're making an azz of themself, when they are, and encouraging them to get their act together is constructive behavior.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:51 PM
PGT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Edge
Being a mod is not a popularity contest - it's a very tough job to be fair and impartial!
agreed about being an impossible job, but a mod doesn't need to be fair and impartial all the time. they are entitled to their opinion. a mod should always keep the best interest of the membership in mind as that's the success/failure of the forum.

Originally Posted by gnatster
We found that polling the current mods for suggestions and then looking back over their dealing on the site proved to better way to identify potential mods. At that point we'd discuss and pick new mods.
agreed 100%
It's been my experience that those that raise their hands and say Pick me to be a mod make the worst ones.
again, agreed

Old 09-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Fracky
Transwarp - Warp 10.0

Goaljinky, stop taking every opportunity possible to snipe at M7. Ok they did you wrong in your eyes. I don't know the details nor do I care. You are doing yourself no good by constantly beating on everything they say. Not every product that they have may have issues with figment or functionally. Your constant, yet mildly entertaining, drivel has reached a point on NAM that you are looking like a fool.

I know I'm going to take heat from people on this but it's enough. You are ruining my entertainment. I don't want to vote people off, I don't want you to be censored, I only want you to use your innate talent to do something better then snipe at an easy target.

In the sprint of practicing what I preach I'll stop taking potshots at even easier target. Palo Uber.
Here, here. Well spoken Gnatster. This forum is awesome on a number of levels: getting the pro's & con's of parts, meeting new Mini friends, getting questions answered, etc. etc. All great stuff.
Openly blasting company's & part's certainly has its place & I do appreciate being forewarned of someone's bad experiences. However, constantly beating M7 (or whomever) into the ground gets old. I get it- you had a bad experience & won't buy anything from M7 again.
What about the positive things you have to say mixed in somewhere? That'd be pretty cool if you shared those stories.

Last edited by Fracky; 09-03-2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:02 PM
goaljnky
Banned

Not at all. I do not see you as an M7 phanbouy. You do seem to be a Palo Uber hater, though.

P.S. I am not really concerned with other's opinion about me. Specially the popular opinion on NAM. Perhaps that's my own arrogance, but given the nature of this forum I am not too worried about being popular.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Spoken like a true lover...
Disagree....this is where the anti-hater comes in. The haters write off all of their opposition as 'fanbois' or 'lovers' in a poor attempt to weaken their arguments and statements by creating a false sense bias. In many cases, the people who criticize the haters have no relation to the vendor but simply have a problem with the flawed or illogical arguments/posts made by the haters.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:04 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Joke or not, it's the best idea so far in this thread.
How very populist of you.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:11 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by Fracky
Here, here. Well spoken Gnatster. This forum is awesome on a number of levels: getting the pro's & con's of parts, meeting new Mini friends, getting questions answered, etc. etc. All great stuff.
Openly blasting company's & part's certainly has its place & I do appreciate being forewarned of someone's bad experiences. However, constantly beating M7 (or whomever) into the ground gets old. I get it- you had a bad experience & won't buy anything from M7 again.
What about the positive things you have to say mixed in somewhere? That'd be pretty cool if you shared those stories.
I have plenty of positive experiences. Guys like Outmotoring, Detroit Tuned, MiniWorks, Mighty Stripes, MTH, TireRack, Texas Speed Works and a few other's I can't recall. On occasion I have posted on my experiences with them. But you would be hard pressed to find many negative comments about those vendors. Not the case with M7. I would venture that I am not the only dissatisfied customer they've had. I will remind you of the old saying: "There is no smoke with out fire."

But, at this point even this thread is getting off topic. I believe Mark split my posts off and started the thread to get some suggestions on how to deal with the problem on this forum.

P.S. Blimey, I don't think the vote will happen. You can stop waiting in line.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:40 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
I can think of complaints concerning DT....and lots concerning MTH and MINIWorks. Were you not around for the huge MTH scandal where everyone was up in arms?

Anyways....my point is that yah, some customers have problems with vendors. If they have some product that doestn meet your expectations. Make a post and say so....and if someone asks for opinions about a product, share your experience. That doesn't make you a hater. What makes you a hater is posting negative things in EVERY thread concerning the company.....even if it has nothing to do with the bad experience you had. I understand that you are unhappy with the USS and the way they handled it...you have every right to share that feeling, but you go out of your way to put down M7 in every thread they make.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:46 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
...but you go out of your way to put down M7 in every thread they make.
No, I go out of my way to put them down in every thread that gets started by their known fanbois, or when attacked for expressing my opinion by those same fanbois.

Once again, besides trying to shut me up, do you have an actual suggestion?

Old 09-03-2007, 07:49 PM
gnatster
6th Gear

Not at all. I do not see you as an M7 phanbouy. You do seem to be a Palo Uber hater, though.

P.S. I am not really concerned with other's opinion about me. Specially the popular opinion on NAM. Perhaps that's my own arrogance, but given the nature of this forum I am not too worried about being popular.
It's not about being popular but in getting your message across. When what seems to be the majority of the posts are all pointed in the same direction it's not hard to see which way the wind is blowing. However, eventually the tree bends to accept the same constant force until that force is no longer a factor. So instead of always blowing the same wind try coming at it from a different direction.

The same can be said to all the various lovers and haters...

Last edited by gnatster; 09-03-2007 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:50 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
No, I go out of my way to put them down in every thread that gets started by their known fanbois, or when attacked for expressing my opinion by those same fanbois.

Once again, besides trying to shut me up, do you have an actual suggestion?
What does it matter who starts the thread?

Your opinion gets attacked because it has no right in threads because its off-topic with the intent to derail the thread.

Suggestion for what? The solution to this problem?

On a side note....the hood extractor thread was started by some dude i have never heard of and has only 94 posts as of tonight. I highly doubt he's a fanboi (although it seems that term is being thrown around loosely).....not that it matters. Just pointing it out

Old 09-03-2007, 07:59 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
What does it matter who starts the thread?

Your opinion gets attacked because it has no right in threads because its off-topic with the intent to derail the thread.

Suggestion for what? The solution to this problem?

On a side note....the hood extractor thread was started by some dude i have never heard of and has only 94 posts as of tonight. I highly doubt he's a fanboi (although it seems that term is being thrown around loosely).....not that it matters. Just pointing it out
I'd like to think I offered a solution by nicely stating that all the lovers and haters stand back and take their collective heads out of their collective butts and realize that saying the same thing over and over adds nothing but contention.

Not sure if you are a lover or hater...just look back over your own posts and see not only where you stand but in the manner that the message is delivered. If at that point you are still unsure where you fit in, ask.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:02 AM
SayGoodbye
6th Gear

Last edited by SayGoodbye; 10-03-2007 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:13 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
P.S. Blimey, I don't think the vote will happen. You can stop waiting in line.
I'll get out of that line when you put down the M7 ugly stick.

Until then, I'll be there, with my sleeping bag, tent, cheetos and diet coke. For the duration.

Now, cheetos and diet coke, for THOSE I might qualify as a lover.

All this MINI aftermarket stuff - for that I'm only in the satisfied customer bucket.