H Stock 2013 Season Log - 41 and 141 HStock

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 03:58 PM
archdukeferdinand
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 Season Log - 41 and 141 HStock

This was actually the 4th race weekend of the year for the green mini, but I've been remiss about starting a thread.

Philly's Test and Tune on the 16th and first event on the 23rd were both too cold to be useful (but I lucked out on Evo School weather the first weekend in March). After a rally-x experience at the former, my co-driver and I decided to just run RTF at the latter. Thankfully street DWs like the cold, but it was a big adjustment off the Hoosiers.

Finally, the weather broke and we headed to the Meadowlands for the dual purpose of practicing for the Pro and playing with our new D/A Konis on the back. They've been on since the test and tune, but this is the first time they'll be working with actual functionally warm Hoosiers.

We ended up running pretty decent tires (last year's nationals leftovers) since this site is insanely kind to Hoosiers. We'll use the rears again for the Pro along with a sticker set up front.

It was a decent Mini course, only 2 spots to really make use of big power. It was a bit spartan with the cones, so lots of places where it was easy to get trapped adding distance. You also had to remember to look way ahead or you'd get hung out in several spots, especially exiting the last slalom. Lots of fast transitions should be a good test of the shocks, and man did they shine.

I don't know for sure how much of our pace was non-junk tires and how much was the new shocks, but we were flying right out of the gate. I was lucky enough to get a re-run on my opening run and put down a 56.8 to start. Ryan and I traded 57.0s, then he put down a flying 56.4 that I had 1 run to match. I did... but it wasn't quite enough even without the cone. Still, its as close as I've been to him since I got the car, between that and our excellent pax position in a talented field, I'm more confident than I think I've ever been heading into a national event.

The green mini has always run well in North Jersey, but the shocks really seem to compose the rear end. Its got just enough movement that you can gently throw it and it snaps into position with complete confidence. I'm hoping this tones down the single's desire to randomly try to kill the driver. I wish we'd gotten a chance to play with the settings (the only change was on Ryan's last run), but there will be other locals for that.

Ryan's fastest run 10th in pax, 56.442:

My fastest raw time, 56.483+1, ended up sitting on a 56.6 (15th in pax):

Side by side:

Will post final results when they're up.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:19 AM
honda93
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Class Results...

http://autox4u.com/results/2013/nnjr_20130330_fin.htm

PAX Results...

http://autox4u.com/results/2013/nnjr_20130330_pax.htm

Overall not a bad day despite the timing system snafu's... Grrrr. That 30 minute pause killed any miniscule amount of heat my tires had developed in the first heat. I coned away a 58.4, but being that was only my 3rd run of the season to that point, I know a mid to high 57 was in the cards on the last run, but I had to sit on a 58.8 on cold tires. :(

Nevertheless, I envy the fact you two were able to run in the second heat when the sun started working and the clouds disappeared... Hence, the only drawback of a 3 heat format at our NNJR events.

Let's not take anything away from the fact that you guys looked great out there! See you at the ProSolo!!!

Old 04-08-2013, 08:02 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 293 Likes on 222 Posts
It's a pleasure to read tales of the course gentlemen. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 04-09-2013, 01:33 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
nice driving - definitely a little sparse on the cones, you'd really need to know where you're going ahead of time

Old 04-09-2013, 07:11 PM
honda93
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
nice driving - definitely a little sparse on the cones, you'd really need to know where you're going ahead of time
A good autocross course shouldn't have a lot of cones.

I conduct a simple, but thorough, novice coursewalk, and of course, looking ahead is key.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:56 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by honda93
A good autocross course shouldn't have a lot of cones.

I conduct a simple, but thorough, novice coursewalk, and of course, looking ahead is key.
true true

Old 04-10-2013, 05:02 PM
archdukeferdinand
2nd Gear
I was definitely glad to see we were running second. First group + Hoosiers =

Having the course workers push you out of the grass because your open diff is doing its thing is pretty embarrassing.

Can't wait for the Pro!!!

Attached Thumbnails 2013 Season Log - 41 and 141 HStock-photo-28.jpg  
Old 04-21-2013, 07:15 PM
archdukeferdinand
2nd Gear
An excellent if up and down ProSolo weekend in New Jersey...

For anyone who has never been to one, a ProSolo is part autocross and part bracket race. Unlike a normal event, you start off of a tree and the timer starts as soon as the tree goes, not when you cross the line. After the drag start, it is like a normal autocross except that the guy (or girl) in the other lane is running a mirror image (or as close as possible to mirror image) course too.

Once the class competition is done, which takes you best run from both courses, its onto the challenge. All of the class winners are entered into an elimination style bracket, along with the next closest finishers to fill it out to 32 entrants. Each entrant gets a dial in and the tree is staggered so that both cars finish as the same time. Single elimination. One shot at each side. You lose, you are out. If you survive to the end, you win a stack of tires and the esteem and approval of all in attendance.

Saturday morning was chilly and overcast, but that didn't keep us from starting strong. Despite a red light on my second run on the right (leaving me stuck on my first mega cold tire run), we were sitting 1-2 in the standings by a solid margin. I was also pretty pleased with myself for having the fastest time on the left course. We did have a problem with losing our datalogger which seemed to have lost its flow of electrons.

Turns out we somehow shorted out the cigarette lighter adapter and were left with a pile of molten plastic yet no burnt fuses. This required a field trip to east Rutherford to get a new adapter and some quick splices from Pep Boys. It turned out to be an easy fix, but it meant we didn't have any data from the first heat.

With that excitement over, it was time for the afternoon heat. We figured that this would be the make or break heat, since it was (slightly) warmer and the sun had come out to heat up the pavement, giving what would probably be the best conditions all weekend. Everyone started taking time off and my lead over third place was cut down to .027 while Ryan extended his to about 4 tenths.

So that evening I found myself in a new and strange place: needing to defend a trophy position. I was feeling pretty confident, it was going to be a cold morning and I'd be the only one on warm tires (we were the only 2 driver car).

It was COLD Sunday morning, but the sun was out and slowly but surely heating up the lot. Surprisingly, times started falling, I guess the rubber down on the line had started to counteract the cold temperatures. First runs were not strong for anyone, but second runs were. Tim Carritte (runner up at nationals last year) found almost a 1/2 second on the right and leapfrogged Ryan into first by a few thousandths. This set up each of their final runs. Carritte knocked a few more thousandths off of his left side, but Ryan, on the strength of a .510 light, found just enough to pull back into first place by a razor thin .029 As a wise man once said, "it doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile" you still win 2 tires to feed the purple crack addiction.

Now it was my turn on warm tires, and I promptly viciously spun the car on my first run. Grrr, not what I needed. I was about .20 slow on the left and needed to get into the 39s to have a shot. Next run on the right, I matched my previous best, but again not what I needed. Next try on the left again yielded no improvement. Last run, need about 5 tenths. Lets do it! Went the moment I saw the third yellow and thought for sure I red lit, but saw the green light come on and buckled down and went. It felt like a great run, and when I came across the line I saw that it was indeed...

OMG...
did I just win this...
a 40.2!?
Not quite...

I was still .074 behind Carritte, and a total of .103 behind Ryan, but thats as close to the lead as I've ever been at a national event. And the icing on the cake: A perfect .500 light.

The other good part about being so close was making the challenge for the first time ever. This almost made up for losing my trophy, especially when I looked at all the names that didn't make it.

I'll do a write up on the Super Challenge tomorrow. I am dead tired. Should have some videos to add as well.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:38 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
VERY nice work in NJ gentlemen! Will I see you in Dover perhaps?

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 04-24-2013, 07:10 PM
archdukeferdinand
2nd Gear
Ok, first a few videos:

My best right side and PERFECT LIGHT, even though you can't see it. Reaction after the finish tells you everything.

Ryan's best right (slower than mine )

Second best left, due to aforementioned datalogger failure

Ryan's best left

Ok, onto the challenge!

So this was a new experience for the both of us. I was first up vs STS winner Klippel. I don't think I've ever been more nervous pulling to the line. I kept repeating "Don't red light" to myself. Being in HS, of course I left first, even vs a ST Miata. I watched the yellows drop in slow motion and despite being hyper aware and amped up, I managed to not red light. Clearly the incredible speed and power of the green mini threw off my opponent, since he did red light. I ripped across the finish line after a relatively conservative (cool tires) and cone free run, looked across, and saw nobody crossing the other line. It took a moment for it to dawn on me that I'd just advanced. Not a win to write home about, but hey, I'll take it.

Next round, I was unfortunate enough to get Campbell and his DSP BMW. From a few events in Columbus, I know that this car is insanely quick and was not looking forward to it, but of course would give it the college try. I started on the left this time, and again left the line without incident. On warmer tires, I attacked harder and crossed the line .3 ahead. Not good, a tie at best since the left was slightly faster, and definitely not a safe margin. Swung over to the right and tried to calm myself down. Even what felt like a decent run was nowhere near enough and I lost by a resounding .7 seconds. At least he ended up making it the whole way to the finals... no shame there.

Ryan was unlucky enough to draw an alien in the first round: Mark Daddio. This seemed like a serious challenge, especially after a smokey Corvette burnout. Undaunted, Ryan put together 2 excellent runs and edged him by under a tenth of a second! I wish I could put together a better play by play here, but I was cheering along with the rest of Philly region and don't even remember which side he started on.

Next up, Allen Kugler in his GP CRX, who benefitted from a red light in the first round, but which robbed him of a chance to get some heat in his tires. Ryan started first, but Kugler was hot on his tail immediately. To everyone's surprise though, his cold rear tires came back to bite him and he lost it in the first slalom, leading to a DNF and another win for Ryan!

Next round, Tom O'Gorman, another excellent driver and another Corvette. Again, I don't remember all the details here but he again knocked off a Corvette to advance. edit: apparently there was a double red light in his previous round?

Up next, another alien: Nick Barbato in his BS S2000. We've both been paxed many times by him in NNJR and sadly this time was no exception. He did go on to beat Campbell for the challenge win though, so no shame in that loss either.

Overall, it was a great afternoon. Its an incredibly valuable experience that you can't practice for. It was also a nice coming out party for us and the car, which was still a bit of a unknown even after Ryan trophied in Lincoln last year. Winning 2 Hoosiers and a couple hundred from Mini was icing on the cake. Bring on DC!

Last edited by archdukeferdinand; 04-29-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:20 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
A great David & Goliath performance! (Tortoise and hare?). Congratulations to both of you.

The thought of lining up opposite Daddio on the tree is something to contemplate...

I must admit to being a fan of Nick (and Grant, and so on) but hey whattayawant from an NER guy?

See you at Devens in July I hope.

Nice driving!

Kind regards,

Charlie

Old 04-25-2013, 05:34 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,136 Likes on 891 Posts
Old 04-29-2013, 01:03 PM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Tim Carritte is FAST huh...

Either I'm a dunce or y'all didn't go to Dover...

Cheers,

Charlie