Solo CVT at Solo 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 11:51 PM
erik808
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi to all fellow CVT motorers who compete at Solo 2 (this is most likely one tiny group --> maybe a half a dozen tops??). This is warmly extended to all those who have autocrossed a CVT/automatic as well .

A few questions here please:

What gear do you run in at Solo 2? D? SD? CVT? I've found SD to be best but any additional feedback would be much appreciated by me :smile: . Also, feel free to provide any other tips/concerns/revelations about autocrossing a CVT/automatic. Thanks a lot erik

Old 01-22-2004, 08:20 AM
BGarfield
4th Gear
Unfortunately, I still have not run a CVT. But, one of my instructors at the autocross schools I run had a student with one and described to me what it was like.
Apparently, there's a big delay from the time you hammer the gas and the engine gets moving. If that's the case, and any of the other gears can "lessen" that affect, that's certainly what I would use.

Theoretically, once you learn how early to hit the gas, the car can be very quick since it's supposed to stay in the power band.
I can't recall if he tried to left foot brake or not, but maybe that's an option. I just know that some of the newer drive-by-wire systems won't let you brake and gas simultaneously (Audi).

Hope this helps some.

Brian

Old 01-23-2004, 08:33 AM
erik808
6th Gear
Thanks a lot for your input, Brian! Too bad that you yourself couldn't run my CVT in a fun run or two. That would have then set the highest mark for me to aspire to. Despite the CVT being the low model on the MINI totem pole, I've not at all maximized its potential (4 events thus far). I'm not gunning it full-on like one such as yourself would. Regarding left foot braking, I discussed this a bit with baronious (local overall top ten autocrosser) before last month's event & was set to use it. However, when those flags dropped, my mind couldn't focus on anything other than getting through what was right in front of me (& I mean right in front). Will need to expand my vision of the course --> to look somewhat ahead ...for starters. Anyway, I'd say that my left foot just dangles aimlessly throughout (though my harness keeps me in place). Maybe this Sunday will bring an improvement or two. We shall see. I'll post pics & results of all/most local motorers come Sunday night. Can't wait to get those butterflies. I love it when my heart's pounding through my shirt. Got a big (& anxious) smile on then.

Old 04-27-2004, 11:44 AM
CoulthardFan
Neutral
This is an old thread but now that I have a few events in with the car I can add something:

I'm using a Cooper CVT (in H Stock obviously) this year in Brian's SCCA region. Surprisingly to me, I'm doing better than the rest of the local class including some other Coopers with the 5 speed. However, I think that's probably because: 1) I have a year and a half of regular autocrossing under my belt and I believe my competitors are not as experienced, and 2) I'm running Hoosiers and they are not. I have no idea if I would be faster in a 5 speed, although I'm coming from a 5 speed twin turbo RX-7.

Anyway, I like the CVT for autocrossing (and on the street), but the real weakness is getting off the line. For this part, I do the 1-D-SD "flick" that has been discussed elsewhere on the forums. For the rest of the course, I think the CVT does a great job of keeping the revs up in SD. I haven't tried left foot braking in competition yet, as my brain just freaks out when I have tried it in practice. In any event, I'm not sure if the computer lets you get the most out of this technique.

Old 04-30-2004, 01:06 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Apparently once you get the hang of it, left foot braking while holding on the gas can do wonders on an autocross track. SD would probably be your best bet, although the 1-D-SD definitely helps you get started right...I think that once you learn to use the CVT it will definitely be your friend on an autcross course.