R61 :: Paceman Talk R61 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R61 Wipers not working - missing Ground signal at relays

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2024, 05:42 AM
Pellechi1
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wipers not working - missing Ground signal at relays

Front wipers stopped working - ON/Low/High speeds only? Only error reported:

A6CA JBE: Relay, Wiper Stage 1, for front wiper

I identified the following:

Windshield washer spray on Front & Rear working, Rear Wiper motor is working fine.

I uses xTool D8 and verified that every position of the wiper stalk generates a unique response to the tool. (I used iPhone to record that series of tests).
I checked both relays (R5 Stage1 & R7 Stage2). They both tested fine, (but I doubted myself and purchased replacements anyway). No improvement.
Engine compartment fuse F9 (30amp) checks out fine.

I removed both relays (R5&R7) and verified that i have 12v power all the time at 3 pins across the 2 relays.

I jumped R7 relay (Stage 2) 12v (pin1) to Pin4 and the Front wiper motor works fine at Low speed.

I jumped R7 relay (Stage 2) 12v (pin1) to Pin5 and the Front wiper motor works fine at High speed.

Further testing with a test light and Voltage meter - I discovered I never get a GROUND signal at Pin 2 of either Relay R5 or R7. Those ground signal’s COMPLETE the coil circuit of either Relay which then activates the specific Relay’s circuit. If the R5 (Stage1) relay coil never energizes, the front wipers never activate on the default - low speed. Which is what reported error code A6CA is indicating.

I’ve temporarily wired 2 switches below my radio (1 for R5 and 1 for R7) … and bring a ground signal to Pin2 of each relay in the engine compartment. (I run the wires thru the cabin air filter into the engine compartment. The switches complete the ground connection at the passenger seat anchor bolt).

I can turn on the front wipers with the R5 switch, and then change speed to High by turning on the R7 switch. The wipers don’t ‘Park’ by themselves so i have to simply flip the switch ‘off’ at the right moment.

I queried my mechanic and he suggested he would just replace the motor???
I’m not ready to just start throwing more parts at the problem because at this point, each of the possible remaining parts cost well above $300+ …

My Question’s are many!
1) Can the motor be responsible for no ground signal at the relay? (I don’t see how, but I don’t know)??

2) Do I isolate the motor and test the park feature? I have a wiring diagram (paid $30 online for schematics) but can’t locate any video to test Park feature.

3) What do I test next knowing I’m not getting a ground signal at the relays when I turn on the front wiper’s by activating the wiper stalk UP 1x ?? Or activating High speed by pressing the stalk UP 2x’s ??

4) Junction Box electronics (Passenger foot well) may be responsible for not supplying ground signal to either relay when Wiper stalk is activated. I briefly attempted to remove the plastic panel covering the JBE - but it feels like it will crack or break and decided to get guidance from the forum before i create another problem.

Is there any dissassembly instructions or R61 Paceman videos for removing the JBE ???

5) If I’m able to remove the JBE, what then ???
Besides photographing and recording ID #’s, and looking for water damage???

ANY guidance or suggestions would be helpful from this point forward …

ANYONE with Front Wiper diagnostic experience - please speak up!