R61 :: Paceman Talk R61 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R61 Q.? After Market Lights and Error Icons/Codes

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 06:17 AM
Iris's mini
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Q.? After Market Lights and Error Icons/Codes

Hi NAM Family! Happy New Year!
I just picked up a 2013 JCW R61 and now the mod bug has hit me ... I really love the interior and its lights changing colors and mood. BUT.......!
I would love to change the color from warm yellow (interior lights under foot well, and dome lights) to a nice blue color.

My Question comes down to..., Will the car send an error notification codes on start up like the headlights/ fog lights do when changed for the interior foot-well/ dome lights? I also would like to know if an error notification will take place if I replace the under door jam lights?
I would really like to replace the interior lights with new blue lights and the door jam lights with a nice Mini Logo. I'm just a little concerned to know if an error notification would pop up on the dash.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

-Iris

Old 12-29-2018, 09:26 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I don't believe that the interior lights get a bulb check,so you should be able to do it. I have replaced all the interior bulbs in a Countryman with LED lights and no issues.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:59 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Received 546 Likes on 373 Posts
Minnie - what year is your Countryman?

Old 12-29-2018, 08:07 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE

Don't understand why my signature disappeared which has that info. Seems other signatures work.

EDIT and now it works! odd

Old 12-29-2018, 08:12 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Received 546 Likes on 373 Posts
Thanks. I looked for your signature -- thought I remembered one in the past -- but didn't see it. It's there now, though.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:09 AM
Iris's mini
2nd Gear
Question Questions on the Fog lights.

Thanks for the replies!
So I swapped out the interior dome and foot well lights with blue LED's and have no issues at all.
I really like it! It has a really nice ambiance with the new Blue LED lights. And the best thing is there NO error notification. Thanks for the help : Minnie.

Now comes the next big question...!

I would like to change the front lower fog lights on my Paceman to yellow. Can anyone recommend a particular set that would not trigger an error notification? My particular fog lights seem to have 2-bulbs in the fog light itself. One on top which seems to be LED and the lower which seems to be a halogen bulb. Can anyone confirm the bulb types that are used for the fog lights system? And what would be the name of the type of bulb I would need to change to that doesn't cause and error notification?

Sorry for my ignorance but this new 2013 JCW Paceman has way to many new cool electronics features vs my old 04 R53....

I believe the bottom fog (of the 2) is bulb type H8. Not sure whats the top one.
I would like to find which bulbs would be best and that last longer than OEM. Everything seems to be moving to LED bulbs and seem a-little confusing to me so I don't want to mess things up in my new Paceman.
Basically, I'm just looking for something that matches OEM specification but has a different color. (yellow is what I'd like).

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
-Iris

Old 12-30-2018, 02:11 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Check here for bulbs - https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2013-.../Lighting/LED/

If you want to go cheap you could try some yellow tint film.

Old 12-30-2018, 03:41 PM
Iris's mini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Check here for bulbs - https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2013-.../Lighting/LED/

If you want to go cheap you could try some yellow tint film.
Thanks for the reply and the link to the site. Seems they don't have yellow fogs with a resistor...

I likely gotta shop around on Ebay or Amazon.
Anyone knows what size/ type for the bulbs in the fog lamps? Seems like theres 2 bulbs for each lamp so i'm wondering if they're the same bulb type?

Old 12-31-2018, 06:21 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
We have some interior bulbs here under Ziza, no bulb out errors or anything. : https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2013-.../LED/Interior/

For fog lights I prefer the halogen bulbs H8 Ziza in yellow as they dont have that much glare, some people like the LED ones which are listed H8 LED kits (PIAA and such), they tend to have a little bit of glare due to being bright, but some people don't see that.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2013-...ng/Fog_Lights/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
The following users liked this post:
Iris's mini (01-01-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 12:47 PM
Iris's mini
2nd Gear
Question

Originally Posted by ECSTuning
We have some interior bulbs here under Ziza, no bulb out errors or anything. : https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2013-.../LED/Interior/

For fog lights I prefer the halogen bulbs H8 Ziza in yellow as they dont have that much glare, some people like the LED ones which are listed H8 LED kits (PIAA and such), they tend to have a little bit of glare due to being bright, but some people don't see that.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2013-...ng/Fog_Lights/
Thanks for the reply. Will the fog lights you recommended trigger an error code on start up? Or do they need a resistor of some sort? I would also like to know if you offer the bottom door jam light that projects a Mini emblem logo.... if I change it will it trigger an error code?

Old 01-02-2019, 06:31 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Hello,

For the fog light led it will need ed coded out with an NCS expert type coding software otherwise you will get a bulb out code on the piaa led fogs.

The halogen ones in ziza are fine, no bulb out error.

Just the factory ones as the MINI logo ones ( 63312414106 ) with free shipping, (No bulb out error on those) some sold by others are NON Genuine MINI trademark infringements if not licensed by MINI. Go badges used to have them also but they are now nla as MINI has come down on a lot of companies.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/63312414106/

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-02-2019, 03:38 PM
Iris's mini
2nd Gear
Red face

Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Hello,

For the fog light led it will need ed coded out with an NCS expert type coding software otherwise you will get a bulb out code on the piaa led fogs.

The halogen ones in ziza are fine, no bulb out error.

Just the factory ones as the MINI logo ones ( 63312414106 ) with free shipping, (No bulb out error on those) some sold by others are NON Genuine MINI trademark infringements if not licensed by MINI. Go badges used to have them also but they are now nla as MINI has come down on a lot of companies.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/63312414106/

Let see if totally understand this... (sorry) :-)
-Stick with Halogens and I'll be okay? And if so then get the Ziza yellow bulbs and I should be fine?
-Don't get LED's as the LED will trigger an error notification. If I do go with LED yellow fogs then I will need a resistor of some sort. Correct me if I'm wrong.
-As for the Mini Logo lower door lights... stick with the OEM ones as the aftermarket will cause and error notification?

Thanks again for your help... I look forward to your reply.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:09 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
1. Yep.
2. Unless you code them out. Yes.
3. OEM ones look the best/ will be available(MINI Logos) down the road when most of the others are taken off the market and you dont have to worry about bulb errors on those as the system does not read the puddles.
Welcome.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:02 PM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
The far less expensive Chinese puddle lights will work without problems but, from personal experience, they generally will last no more than 2 yrs before the image deteriorates significantly. I've no idea how that compares to the MINI brand puddle lights though.

Last edited by mikey_t; 01-06-2019 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:41 PM
Iris's mini
2nd Gear
Smile Fingers crossed it will work.

Thanks for the replies....
I'll be picking up a set of the puddle and fogs for sure... Fingers crossed it will all work....