R61 :: Paceman Talk R61 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R61 So when did the tow hook thread size change?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 02:45 PM
Doug W
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So when did the tow hook thread size change?

Guess I've been out of touch for too long.

I have an old tow hook license plate bracket that I bought years ago.
I'm thinking I bought it for my '99 M Roadster; but if memory serves, it also fit my R53 and R56 MINIS.

Be that as it may, I received a written warning today for no front plate (after getting away with it for seven years).
I just went to install my bracket. Lo and behold, the thread size is too small for the receptacle in my Paceman.

Can someone tell me what the current tow hook thread size is, please?

Thanks!

*EDIT* Never mind; I decided to take the time to do a quick search, and I was reminded of the tow hook under the driver's seat. D'oh!
I'll measure the thread and turn something up..

Last edited by Doug W; 12-22-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:11 PM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Why not use the one that came with your car? Check under the front seat or in the trunk storage area. Here's a thread that will show you the difference between the two styles.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:40 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
The tow hook on the Countryman/Paceman is different due to the big difference in weight.

At least that was the official MINI answer...

Old 12-22-2014, 07:21 PM
Doug W
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by siriuszero
The tow hook on the Countryman/Paceman is different due to the big difference in weight.

At least that was the official MINI answer...
Makes sense!

Old 12-23-2014, 01:09 PM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug W
Makes sense!
That doesn't make sense at all. The F56 usesthe same size tow hook as the Countryman/Paceman. Likely just a change in standard (like Apple's switch from 30 pin to Lightning) to bring it more in line with BMW models. They probably all share the same tow hook.

Old 12-23-2014, 01:23 PM
Doug W
Former Vendor
Well, for me it doesn't matter. I am now using my stock Paceman tow hook as the base of my front license plate bracket.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:36 AM
zsqure
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what is the thread? I have a NHLPB setting on the shelf from an earlier vehicle.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:15 AM
watkinra
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the many unusual changes thou tour community needs. Very little of the R53/R56 ergonomics and equipment moved to the paceman. Windows do not lower when opening door. Switches and controls not standardized with r53/r56,doors are way too big, back seat headrests are not removable to allow folding the seat backs without moving front seats way forward, hatch door too heavy and high for wife, driving lights operate opposite from r56, no dual pane moonroof, alarm sounds when windows or sunroof open/cracked during summer months, door and rear window ledges too high (wife cannot see close objects on opposite side of car, very difficult to get in and out of due to seat bolsters.
Overall, the car is nowowhere near as enjoyable to ride in.
I'm sure I will think of more later, but this is NOT the Mini I am familiar with.
BTW, it is for sale for reasonable price. 2014 paceman, 2014 , chili, white top, black leatherette, jaw interior, etc. (NC)

Old 06-19-2015, 10:26 AM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by watkinra
One of the many unusual changes thou tour community needs. Very little of the R53/R56 ergonomics and equipment moved to the paceman. Windows do not lower when opening door. Switches and controls not standardized with r53/r56,doors are way too big, back seat headrests are not removable to allow folding the seat backs without moving front seats way forward, hatch door too heavy and high for wife, driving lights operate opposite from r56, no dual pane moonroof, alarm sounds when windows or sunroof open/cracked during summer months, door and rear window ledges too high (wife cannot see close objects on opposite side of car, very difficult to get in and out of due to seat bolsters.
I'm sure I will think of more later, but this is NOT the Mini I am familiar with.
BTW, it is for sale for reasonable price. 2014 paceman, 2014 , chili, white top, black leatherette, jaw interior, etc. (NC)
What does your whining have to do with the OP's question?

Old 06-19-2015, 03:15 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by watkinra
Huh???
Trying to build a post count??

Old 06-19-2015, 11:40 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
LOL, he knocks it and then tries to sell it:

"BTW, it is for sale for reasonable price. 2014 paceman, 2014 , chili, white top, black leatherette, jaw interior, etc. (NC)"