R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

2012 Countryman S Will Not Start

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 11:17 AM
Paul Preyer
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
Time for another ECU...
I figured, but I had hope. Good thing I put the order in yesterday. Thanks man. I'll let everyone know what happens.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:22 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
Good luck...

At lease now you know your car can go back on the street, pretty soon.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:27 AM
Paul Preyer
1st Gear
Yeah. My wife got to drive it this morning. I wanted to show her the reason I ordered another computer & why its such a big deal. She misses her car, but understands after I showed her the cost for Mini to do all this work (clutch, flywheel, thermostat housing, DME).

I wish I knew exactly where the issue was with the old DME, I know one of the chips is the 5V reference. It might have been easier just to replace the chip myself.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:44 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
even if you find the chip, it would be another task to source the chip. THEN, you need to get soldering station. After that, it may not work!

With my N18 swap, I had this 5v reference fault. after replacing so many sensors, i was still getting the same codes. Finally, I replaced the wiring harness and the problem was solved.

here is a small portion of the aggravation lol

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ne-swap-2.html

Old 09-12-2019, 01:41 PM
2014 MC
3rd Gear
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
Just wanted to say that I'm impressed with your tenaciousness and patience it takes dealing with these major headaches. Love my Mini when it works, scared of it and hate for reasons like this here.

Old 09-12-2019, 01:47 PM
Paul Preyer
1st Gear
Originally Posted by 2014 MC
Just wanted to say that I'm impressed with your tenaciousness and patience it takes dealing with these major headaches. Love my Mini when it works, scared of it and hate for reasons like this here.
Im more impressed with Mini2Be’s patience with helping me out. I’ve built a few Nissans and these things take some time and work to understand. This is a lot more complicated than the RBs and KA-Ts I’ve worked on due to the complexity the computers add, but it’s fun and I love learning.

The following users liked this post:
MiniToBe (09-12-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 01:50 PM
2014 MC
3rd Gear
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Preyer
Im more impressed with Mini2Be’s patience with helping me out. I’ve built a few Nissans and these things take some time and work to understand. This is a lot more complicated than the RBs and KA-Ts I’ve worked on due to the complexity the computers add, but it’s fun and I love learning.
Yes, my "your" was meant in the plural sense and addressed to Mini2Be as well. Very helpful and valuable resource!

MiniToBe (09-12-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 08:04 PM
Paul Preyer
1st Gear
Can I get a break!

DME came in. Flashed. Fuel issue gone BUT now getting Start assist error, DTC error, no AC, no power steering, no tachometer, and the damn OBDII port won’t communicate! Put the original DME back in and just got the original Fuel error like before with OBDII. The donor wasn’t in a collision. I’ll try flashing again, but I think I’m going back to order another one.

UPDATE: Bent Pins. Fixed and P0193 remains. Wires tested & readings are good. Ordered new FPS and will update when I get the results.

Last edited by Paul Preyer; 01-16-2020 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:56 PM
brmini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paul,
Any update on your situation?
I have an issue strangely similar. My 2012 MCS, R56 is in limp mode with the same fuel pressure sensor code and only runs when the sensor is disconnected. I have replaced it but was never sure the replacement sensor was good. Both supply and reference lines showed 5v and I believed it be a short in the wiring somewhere so I had a BMW shop troubleshoot it and in the process of checking everything, they said it would no longer start and the ECU was bad. Instead of paying through the nose for a new ECU, I had mine cloned. Now it starts again but just like the previous issue before taking it to the shop. I'm working on getting a used wiring harness to see if that might be my real issue.

brmini

Old 01-15-2020, 07:32 PM
Paul Preyer
1st Gear
Originally Posted by brmini
Paul,
Any update on your situation?
I have an issue strangely similar. My 2012 MCS, R56 is in limp mode with the same fuel pressure sensor code and only runs when the sensor is disconnected. I have replaced it but was never sure the replacement sensor was good. Both supply and reference lines showed 5v and I believed it be a short in the wiring somewhere so I had a BMW shop troubleshoot it and in the process of checking everything, they said it would no longer start and the ECU was bad. Instead of paying through the nose for a new ECU, I had mine cloned. Now it starts again but just like the previous issue before taking it to the shop. I'm working on getting a used wiring harness to see if that might be my real issue.

brmini
As of right now, no. Sounds like you had a bad ground when working with the FPS. Just a guess from the ECU going bad. The issues are similar, except my car will run with the FPS connected or disconnected. I went through all of my wiring and came up with good voltage and ground. Oh yeah, the ECU that I said was bad was actually good, just a bad pin. So after swapped between them to see if the fault followed, it did. So 2 ECUs that had no issues and both show the P0193 fault & wiring is good. It has to be the FPS in my case. I ordered a new FPS, however, it was the wrong one. I sent it back, but never ordered a new one. I got busy with work travel and holidays. Funny enough, I am replacing the turbo lines and adapter gasket to fix a leak. New FPS ordered. Will update once installed.

Last edited by Paul Preyer; 01-16-2020 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:04 PM
Paul Preyer
1st Gear
IT IS FIXED!!!!!
Thanks to all that helped. The final issue was P0193, bad fuel pressure sensor. I finally found the correct part number and replaced. Immediately fuel pressure reading was normal on my OBDII scanner. So my theory was that when the ground on top back of the valve cover broke and I tried to start the vehicle not only did the DME fry, but the sensor as well. I went through the service manual, but it does not have a schematic of flow through the DME. There is 5V that goes to a few places from the DME, including the Fuel Pressure Sensor, so I think that without ground, it fried out. Thank you to all who have helped me get this thing back up and running! Great community!

eric.stewart (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 01:58 PM
eric.stewart
3rd Gear

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts
Want to say thank you for sticking with this and posting your notes & solutions. So often people "go dark" after their initial requests for help and don't share their solution. Appreciated!

Paul Preyer (01-25-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 02:07 AM
brmini
1st Gear
I really do appreciate the follow up posts. It's been very helpful to understand the problems you've had and the repairs needed.

For me, I think its quite possible I damaged my DME after changing the valve cover gasket and accidentally leaving the ground wire off. The car wouldn't start even after connecting the ground wire. When attempting to start, I saw the indicated fuel pressure was very high and I got the P0193 code. I read somewhere that if the FPS was disconnected and the car starts then the FPS is bad. With it disconnected, the car would start but still had the CEL code and was limited in power. Since then I've replaced FPS and the DME with a clone. The clone and original DME both had 5V on the pin connection for the FPS sensed line which I thought there shouldn't be any voltage on the line until the sensor returned a voltage proportional to the sensed pressure. My posts about it are here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...placement.html and https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...or-issues.html
I've got two issues with my car:
1. The wiring harness connection going to my FPS has 5v on both the supply and sensed wires. I've not been able to determine why the sensed line has voltage with the sensor disconnected. I saw a service bulletin (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...53607-2385.pdf) for the N18 engine about Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor requiring calibration. I'm not sure if this is my issue or if this would help.
2. My wiring original wiring harness is different than what is shown in the Bentley Manual for my car (after 03/2012 with Bosch HPFP). Pin connections for the FPS and HPFP are different.

Has anyone seen this issue before? If so, how best to go about correcting it? I've already had the DME cloned once. Maybe I can get the equipment and software to do it myself.

Old 01-26-2020, 07:55 AM
Paul Preyer
1st Gear
I really do appreciate the follow up posts. It's been very helpful to understand the problems you've had and the repairs needed.

For me, I think its quite possible I damaged my DME after changing the valve cover gasket and accidentally leaving the ground wire off. The car wouldn't start even after connecting the ground wire. When attempting to start, I saw the indicated fuel pressure was very high and I got the P0193 code. I read somewhere that if the FPS was disconnected and the car starts then the FPS is bad. With it disconnected, the car would start but still had the CEL code and was limited in power. Since then I've replaced FPS and the DME with a clone. The clone and original DME both had 5V on the pin connection for the FPS sensed line which I thought there shouldn't be any voltage on the line until the sensor returned a voltage proportional to the sensed pressure. My posts about it are here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...placement.html and https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...or-issues.html
I've got two issues with my car:
1. The wiring harness connection going to my FPS has 5v on both the supply and sensed wires. I've not been able to determine why the sensed line has voltage with the sensor disconnected. I saw a service bulletin (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...53607-2385.pdf) for the N18 engine about Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor requiring calibration. I'm not sure if this is my issue or if this would help.
2. My wiring original wiring harness is different than what is shown in the Bentley Manual for my car (after 03/2012 with Bosch HPFP). Pin connections for the FPS and HPFP are different.

Has anyone seen this issue before? If so, how best to go about correcting it? I've already had the DME cloned once. Maybe I can get the equipment and software to do it myself.
Its the same thing. The question I have is did you replace your FPS before or after the DME flash? The manual item was the same for me. It’s hard to trace continuity with that, but the readings for voltage were there after I replaced the DME. If you replaced the FPS before the DME I really think you could have killed it when attempting to start.

Old 01-26-2020, 12:04 PM
brmini
1st Gear
As part of the troubleshooting I replaced the FPS following the car not starting with the ground wire disconnected after replacing the valve cover gasket. I got it running by leaving the FPS disconnected and then took it to a service shop where they did some troubleshooting and told me the car would no longer start due to a failed DME. They also said it would not take a flash update.

Once I sent in my DME and received the clone I installed it and the car would start but only with the FPS disconnected, the same situation as when I took it to the shop. I took the car home and installed a new FPS and totally removed the wiring harness and compared it to another I got from eBay. To me, wiring harness checked out (except for the differences from the Bentley manual) and I reinstalled my original harness. Now the car will start but still have the same code (P0193) and is limited in power.

Old 01-26-2020, 12:09 PM
Paul Preyer
1st Gear
As part of the troubleshooting I replaced the FPS following the car not starting with the ground wire disconnected after replacing the valve cover gasket. I got it running by leaving the FPS disconnected and then took it to a service shop where they did some troubleshooting and told me the car would no longer start due to a failed DME. They  as it would not take a flash update.

Once I sent in my DME and received the clone I installed and the
If the car has the same issue after the flashed DME (only starts with FPS disconnected) I would look at the DME or wiring. If the car starts with the FPS plugged in after the DME flash and You get P0193, check your fuel rail pressure with an OBDII tool. If it reads over 3000k with the FPS plugged in, get a new FPS. I got mine from ECS tuning.

Old 01-26-2020, 12:26 PM
brmini
1st Gear
Paul, thanks for the quick response. I had to edit my previous post. It’s 6:20 am here in Guam and I was typing this out on my phone before leaving for work and accidentally submitted it before being complete. To answer your previous question, I did replace the FPS before and after replacing the DME, each time with a new one. Here’s a photo of all three that I have.

Old 01-26-2020, 12:29 PM
Paul Preyer
1st Gear
Ok, 16-17 hours difference. I was at the AF base for a while and still have family there and on Chuuk.

Check your Fuel rail pressure on the OBD2. It’s crazy to think that you might have fried that wiring harness. Do you have a wiring schematic? If not I can send you one.

Old 01-26-2020, 01:03 PM
brmini
1st Gear
That’s awesome. Not many people know where Guam is, let alone Chuck.

The only schematics I have are in the Bentley service manual and those are suspect. If you have a good one for a R56 engine wiring harness I would gladly accept it.

As a followup, in my BluDriver scan tool I do see the Fuel Pressure at ~ 3624 psi. This is the value I've seen since first having the issue just after replacing the valve cover gasket and trying to start the car with the ground wire removed.

When I check the wiring harness I’m seeing 5v coming from the DME on both the supply (blue) and sensed (yellow) wires for the FPS regardless if the FPS is connected or not. I think this 5v on the sensed line trumps whatever the FPS actually sees and therefore I keep getting the CEL for P0193. With the harness removed from the DME, I see 5v on the pin corresponding to the FPS sensed line. I suspect the DME now but not sure what can be done about it. Maybe have the service shop do the calibration flash per the device bulletin?

Last edited by brmini; 01-26-2020 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Clarification required