R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Potential HPFP issues?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 09:55 PM
BMV_1
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Potential HPFP issues?

Hey all, this is my first post, and I hate that it is a problem post. I've searched the issue, but I cant seem to find what I'm looking for, so if after I've explained my problem anyone can link a post that shows it I'd really appreciate it!

So, I bought a used 2011 mini Countryman S (not all4) with 75xxx miles. The guy I bought it from had ran a fuel system cleaner and shortly after there were several codes thrown. I had them ran and they showed that there were "random multiple misfire" on there. Now, when I have those codes pop on normally it is bad fuel or a bad plug. So I cleared the codes to see if they would come back. They had not come back, however the car would not start after I drove it today.

The symptoms:
Car randomly died pulling in to a parking spot.
Let sit for about 45 minutes to see of it would start again.
Car would not start. It will crank, however it will not fire.
Tested battery, it has good charge.
I cannot hear the fuel pump engage, however I am not as proficient with these types of cars as I am with "American" cars.
I had heard a slight rattle or grinding noise when I had accelerated this morning, however it had not continued after the engine had heated up.

So, from what I have read, it looks like the High Pressure Fuel Pump could be faulty, and I plan on testing it tomorrow, but I wanted to see if there might be other options? I did check the fuel pump fuse F43 (I think) a 20 amp and it is fine. My question is, are there any other things to test? Should I pull all of the spark plugs and replace? Should I pull the seats and test the fuel pump?

The codes that have been thrown today are:
The last two were from the knuckle head adding Lucas Oil stabilizer to the oil (all that crap does is increase viscosity) and they were only "stored" after having the oil changed to full synthetic 5-30.

The reason I had the codes cleared was because he had added the fuel additive which sometimes throws a code. I always clear a code prior to diagnosing if there is a known discrepancy in the normal running of the engine. I am a bit of a novice when it comes to these fine tuned engines, having more experience with "domestic" engines, so I am entirely willing to accept that I may f***ed up by clearing the codes and running it anyway.

If anyone can bring something to the table as to what the issue might be other than the HPFP I would be extremely grateful. Otherwise I will be tearing in to the back seat of my new to me car. Also, I have read that there might be an extended warranty on the HPFP up to 10 yr, 120K miles. Does anyone know if that is transferable, or if I am stuck since I have the car third hand.

Last note is that I do not have a Mini dealer in my home town. I do have a BMW dealer, however they have a terrible reputation and are barely hanging on to business

Old 07-16-2019, 10:45 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
welcome to the forum.

As you you, there are 3 things you need to check.

1- compression
2- spark
3- fuel

you may remove the spark plugs and check their condition, the cylinders might be flooded or something. you could also spray starter fluid in the elbow before the intake manifold to check if it actually would start. you could also remove the valve cover and check the components for malfunction and such.

here are some sites for reference:

newtis.info
realoem.com

Old 07-17-2019, 03:59 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,710 Likes on 1,379 Posts
First, multiple misfires would lead me to change the coils and spark plugs, and see how it runs after that.

Next, the HPFP is on the engine, driven by the intake cam. The low pressure fuel pump is in the tank under the seat.

I would start with the coils and plugs, and go from there. Then call the local Mini dealer with he VIN and see if the fuel pump is under warranty. If it is, can save you some money for replacement.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:32 AM
BMV_1
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, thanks guys. I did call the dealership and it is under warranty. Unfortunately, the closest dealership to me is about 200 miles away and I would have to trailer it up there for the work, so I want to make sure that the HPFP is the issue before I spend 250-350 in diesel driving it up there. As a side note, I did check the in tank fuel pump and it is getting power and engaging, so I can rule that out.