R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Fuel Gauge Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 07:21 AM
Socalx
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel Gauge Troubleshooting

Hey Guys.

I picked up a 2012 Countryman as a project. I got it for a great price even though it has some issues. One of the issues that I am having is the fuel gauge. When I purchased this vehicle, the fuel gauge did not function at all. After, I have replaced the Low Pressure fuel pump that has the fuel level sensor in it. After the install, the fuel gauge did not work. I put 10 gallons of fuel in after and drove home. I started checking the wiring from the pump and was trying to trace it out. After a few hours of that, I moved the car back into the garage to call it a night and noticed the fuel gauge came to life but only showing 70%.

So my question is this. I know on older Mini's there are 2 fuel level sensors. I could not find any information if that was the case here. Also, I am currently search for wiring diagrams for the fuel sensor. If anyone has a diagram that shows the complete route, please shoot me a link. I'd like to find if there is a loose connection or corrosion somewhere.

Also, I had a P144B which indicated the fuel level sensor but that code has not come back since the install and clear. But again, I haven't drove the car much. I have a code for the leak detection pump which will be replaced on Monday when the part comes in. I'll be checking the wiring around that area as well. It would be awesome if the fuel level sensor wiring came around that section. I noticed under the car that the plastic piece that is supposed to cover the pump is broken which could indicate why it doesn't function. I am ordering a replacement piece for that as well.

At any rate, anyone who has tackled this issue or has some insight would be greatly appreciated. I love project cars and as soon as this thing gets all the quirks ironed out, I'll be looking into suspension / build options.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:42 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Sorry, I don’t have a clue. But I am intrigued and would like to know what you figure out. I have a ‘12 CMS too.

Old 07-18-2018, 05:49 AM
Socalx
1st Gear
Its all good. I am still trying to figure it out. The gauge is kind of alive right now. I'll know more once it runs down on fuel and go to refill.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:10 AM
Socalx
1st Gear
So I refilled and the fuel gauge did not come back. I wonder if anyone has a diagram? Or does anyone have an exploded view on how the gauge cluster comes off? It might be something with the power cable or ground. It is like the gauge doesn't know to reset once the fuel goes in.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:11 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Not that I have any clue what it is, but it seems like there should be some type of sending unit in the tank and that is going bad, maybe?

Old 07-24-2018, 05:30 AM
Socalx
1st Gear
Maybe. That would be why I'd need a diagram to trace where this runs. I'll keep looking. It's not been a high priority this week.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:43 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
[QUOTE=Socalx;4408470]Maybe. That would be why I'd need a diagram to trace where this runs. I'll keep looking. It's not been a high priority this week.[/QUOT
I know that I saw something like that this weekend, not sure what model it’s for but they are probably very similar..... lemme see if I can find it.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:18 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,136 Likes on 891 Posts
You should go to RealOEM.com. This has a listing of BMW and MINI parts with exploded views. It should give you a start with learning what you are dealing with. Hope this helps. Good luck with it.

The following users liked this post:
Socalx (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 07:01 AM
Socalx
1st Gear
Thanks Eddie, I'll give that a look.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:53 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,136 Likes on 891 Posts
Old 08-21-2018, 04:54 AM
Mr_Pipo
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Socalx did you ever figure this out. I recently purchase a 2011 Countryman. One of the things the previous owner disclosed is that the fuel gauge doesn't always show the level accurately. I wonder if my issue is related to what you're experiencing.
Thanks!

Old 08-30-2018, 09:13 AM
Socalx
1st Gear
I have not figured it out. I do have it isolated to a wiring issue but I am unsure how the wiring routes from the Low Pressure pump to under the car. It is a bit hard to trace. I feel like the issue is under close to where the Leak detection pump would be but I haven't found a diagram that shows that the wiring dumps to under that location yet. I am still searching.

Old 10-28-2019, 01:06 PM
TheStormtrooper
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation

Has anyone figured this issue out? I recently purchased a 2012 Countryman S and I thought it was the dealer being cheap because I hopped in and it wasn't filled up. The gas gauge was short two carrots.

Drove it around for the weekend for a mini vacation and on the ride back I had to fill up. I went from having like 80 miles left to refill and then it jumped to 30ish and then 9 within 3 minutes. After that moment of being in Timbuktu with no gas I luckily found a station and filled up. It took about 8 gallons before it clicked and I proceeded to try and top off because I knew it wasn't full (I read the vehicle had a 12 gallon tank). Got in the car and sure as hell I was 2 carrots short of being full.

I have been researching to see what my options are but info is spotty and vague.

any info on this would be greatly appreciated

Old 10-28-2019, 02:11 PM
2014 MC
3rd Gear
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by TheStormtrooper
. It took about 8 gallons before it clicked and I proceeded to try and top off because I knew it wasn't full (I read the vehicle had a 12 gallon tank). Got in the car and sure as hell I was 2 carrots short of being full.

I have been researching to see what my options are but info is spotty and vague.

any info on this would be greatly appreciated
So how many gallons did you get in the tank? Maybe you weren't close to empty in the first place and actually got the tank full with around 8 gallons? Maybe the tank isn't able to get full due to a clogged vent or something?

Old 10-29-2019, 08:47 AM
TheStormtrooper
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2014 MC
So how many gallons did you get in the tank? Maybe you weren't close to empty in the first place and actually got the tank full with around 8 gallons? Maybe the tank isn't able to get full due to a clogged vent or something?

I'll look in to that. Its not throwing a CEL light so it doesn't seem to be major. thanks

Old 02-20-2020, 08:28 AM
Socalx
1st Gear
Hey Guys. It's been a while and I am still working this issue out. I never did find a wiring diagram for it. If anyone has one, please shoot me a link.

On another note, the rear windshield wiper is now intermittent. Is that a common thing?

Old 05-05-2023, 01:19 PM
rhurlow
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you ever find a solution? I replaced my fuel pump on my 12' CMS and it still shows empty. I traced the wire back to the panel without a short? My Front and back brake sensors read low with new sensors and reset so that leads me to suspect the instrument module?