R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Bonnet Stuck Shut on 2013 R60S

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 12:10 PM
NCapurata
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Bonnet Stuck Shut on 2013 R60S

Hi guys,
I'm looking for some guidance or insight on how to release open the bonnet on a 2013 R60.
I attempted to open the bonnet of the car in preparation for an in-between oil-change and I wasn't able to release the bonnet when pulling on the release handle.
Doing a little searching I came across some videos that highlight a possible failure or disconnect of the cable (white clip) from the bracket at the release handle end and checked that. I was able confirm that the cable (white clip) did not jump off from the bracket and the bracket does not seem to show any indications that it bent forward.

When pulling on the release handle, there is slight tension at the end of the trajectory, but no sign of the latches unlocking.

When looking at the bonnet I can confirm that the locking latch on the driver's side seems to have disengaged as I can try to lift the bonnet slight and there is give. The issue seems to be on the latch that is located on the passanger's side. I am not able to get the same play on that side that there is on the drivers side.

I tried pressing down on both sides to see if it disengages and the passanger's side does not give, and I cant seem to get the drivers side to engage again and lock.

I have read some notes that speak to pressing down on the hood where the latches would be located while someone else pulls the cable, and that has not proven to be fruitful either.

It almost seems like the restraining clip/bracket at the edge of the passenger's latch has come lose. the cable is pulling, but since there is no resistance at the end (white clip) the cable flexes and does not disengage the hood.

Any pointers, instructions or links to video outlining how to unlock a bonnet from the outside would be helpful. Also, has anyone else experienced something similar?
I'm hoping to get the hood open so that I can assess if the cable itself needs replacing or lubricating, etc.

thanks in advance.

Old 03-17-2018, 06:43 AM
Mark Bielick
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine had the same failure. I ended up having to tear out the entire footwell in order to repair the pull lever. It is a poor design in that the cable attachment can come loose from the mounting bracket, resulting in the cable not working. Once I was able to manually pull the cable, I had helpers push down on the hood, and the latches released. Poorly designed system in my opinion. The other issue that you may be seeing is where the single cable converts to two separate pull cables. Unfortunately, you can't get to this location unless the hood is open.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:10 PM
NCapurata
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Mark. Was yours same make/ model year? Did you have to remove the wheels on both sides, or were you able to access the wheel wells and remove the liners without tire removal? Are both latches in a similar location?

Thanks for your comment.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:36 AM
Mark Bielick
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is a 2011 All4. I was able to repair the hood latch without having to do anything with the wheel wells. I removed the footwell side cover where the pull lever is mounted. The metal bracket had bent to the point where it would not hold the cable housing firmly. This caused the entire cable to move, but did not allow the cable to pull the latches under the hood. Once I was able to manually pull the cable wire,I had a helper push down on the hood. This released the hood latches. I then had to re-bend the bracket to hold the cable. I crimped it tighter on the cable housing, and I also lubricated the cable with graphite to reduce the stress on the bracket. I still wince every time I have to open the hood.

The following users liked this post:
mikey_t (03-19-2018)