R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Chrome Trim Peeling after 7-days

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 04:30 PM
zekemini#3
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Curious to know what these parts are. The same chrome tape fix that my MA is offering right now? temporary fixes that will probably shrink or peel off again? I have 6 pieces failing, 4 that are too short and 2 that have bubbled and would be peeling off it I hadn't glued them with 3M automotive adhesive. I want every piece replaced with a permanent part. I dont trust whats on there and my dealer is 200+ miles away, too far to drive to fix this more than once. Can you ask what the part number is and if Mini is calling this the permanent fix?

Old 07-18-2011, 07:30 PM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by zekemini#3

I don't get it, every Mini on that lot has the same chrome molding. Theyve been putting it on Minis since 2002. Why settle for such crappy work on the new Countryman?

MINI does not make the CM themselves in the UK you know......

....the Countryman is not manufactured in Oxford, England, but in Austria by Magna Steyr, making it the first of the BMW era Minis to be manufactured entirely outside the UK.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:25 AM
ALL4TURBO
3rd Gear
I went to my dealer this morning and they replaced the 2 pieces that I had peeling. The advisor acted like he had never seen that before but they had those pieces in stock which I find odd. Either way it was taken care of within a hour.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:51 PM
Syck2972
2nd Gear
MY MA called me this afternoon, told me that the door chrome prices that had shrink are on backorder. He said he did a search for the parts across the US and nobody had any in stock. :( So I get to do this again when they come in. I'm glad the dealership is only 30 minutes away.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:05 PM
buddy lee
3rd Gear
I'm thinking I'll glue the ones back on that get loose until a new, BETTER fix is available. Hopefully that happens before too long.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:09 AM
NickChuck
1st Gear
New Countryman

I just purchased my countryman Tuesday and am already having this issue. Called the dealership and they had heard of the issue however, mentioned that the parts are back-ordered. They told me approx a month or so to get fixed... Brutal. Brand new car and they can't do anything about it....

Old 07-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Mark Bielick
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went to my local MINI dealer today to show them the 4 trim pieces I have that are delaminating. They were very nice about it, but claimed to have never heard of the issue. I told them there were multiple reports on this forum regarding this issue, and I wondered if there were any factory notices or information regarding a fix. They responded that, since this is a 'cosmetic' issue, there is no need for an organized recall. There would most likely be a service bulletin showing a new replacement part. The dealer would then replace the trim pieces as they failed. I told them I do not want them to simply put bad trim pieces on to replace the current bad trim pieces, and they agreed. They recommended I wait another month or two until MINI issues some sort of a plan to fix the issue.
Has anyone who has this issue seen anything from MINI that actually outlines their solution? If not, how do we get MINI to listen? My dealer wrote this one off as a cosmetic issue, and was not real concerned about it. One thing I don't want is to replace the defective trim pieces with different style pieces, unless they replace them all.
I posted a notice on the MINI owners lounge, but I'm sure that will do nothing.

Mark

Old 07-22-2011, 11:06 AM
NickChuck
1st Gear
Went to the dealer yesterday to show them, they felt genuinely bad about it and explained to me the parts are not available. Then we walked around and out of the 12 on the lot all but 1 had the issue with a few being really really bad. I kinda got a weird sense of panic from them after that...

Old 07-22-2011, 11:59 AM
NickChuck
1st Gear
Old 07-22-2011, 01:25 PM
Justmenmymini
3rd Gear
I actually thought about that....been considering blacking out the belt line anyways.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:02 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by NickChuck
Yep thats what I got, but it's been close to 100 degrees all week so haven't tried to put it on yet. Also deciding if I should remove the chrome tape first, or just put it on over it.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:24 AM
zekemini#3
1st Gear
Made my weekly call Friday to the dealer to find out about what Minis plan is for this. Was told by the service scheduling person that answered the phone that my part was in and I could make an appointment to come over for service. All she could see was that it was chrome trim, not how many pieces, or if it was the temporary or permanent fix. Left a message for the service manager asking these questions and haven't heard back. Yesterday got a call from my MA telling me my parts are in. (Do these people not communicate between themselves?) Asked him how many and which parts theyre replacing?-he doesnt know, asked if this was temp or perm and he says temporary, the permanent, actual chrome replacement parts are in the works with no release date. I may keep this appt because it looks as though the fix is a ways out and I'm SO tired of making excuses for this crappy looking issue on a car with 1500 miles on it. Maybe it will hide it for a minute. Ugh

Old 07-24-2011, 05:36 AM
Justmenmymini
3rd Gear
I really appreciate you guys posting your experiences. We just picked our ALL4 up 2 weeks ago and so far no problems but I check the thing almost daily. It's just a matter of time....

Old 07-24-2011, 06:22 AM
Mark Bielick
3rd Gear
zekemini3 said it exactly correct. This car is an excellent, fun, efficient car. Unfortunately, it is embarassing to drive it looking at the chrome trim literally falling off the car. And, so far, it appears that this issue is not high on MINI's radar screen. I can't believe they are that naive. People LOOK at this car, if only because it is new, and visually appealing. Then, they get up close, and see the trim peeling off. Having a new car driving around with chrome trim falling off is NOT a good publicity practice. And, ignoring this issue will not make it go away. Like others here, I did look at a number of cars on my dealer's lot, and nearly 1/4 of them already have evidence of the problem. (3/13) I really believe this issue is going to impact nearly every car built with this trim. Mine was absoluetly not visible when I picked it up; was not evident for three weeks of cooler weather; and then showed a significant amount of peeling after one day in 100 deg F. heat. Two and three days exposure just made it worse.
All I can recommend is that you periodically look at the trim pieces on your car... especially after it sits in the sun for a period of time.

Mark

Old 07-24-2011, 09:41 AM
ALL4TURBO
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JudgeS
Yep thats what I got, but it's been close to 100 degrees all week so haven't tried to put it on yet. Also deciding if I should remove the chrome tape first, or just put it on over it.
So you and I do think alike..

I've had the kit for 3 weeks. I've been waiting to have my pieces replaced under warranty and of course its been 105 since they were fixed..

I have today off and the plan was to get it done. Its still to damn hot!

Good luck to everyone else having issues.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:19 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ALL4TURBO
So you and I do think alike..

I've had the kit for 3 weeks. I've been waiting to have my pieces replaced under warranty and of course its been 105 since they were fixed..

I have today off and the plan was to get it done. Its still to damn hot!

Good luck to everyone else having issues.

So your placing it on over the repaired trim?

I've actually had no issue with mine peeling (yet) but think I will prefer the blacked out belt line (and if not go for the permanent fix later on). Still not sure if I should put it on top of the chrome tape, or peel it off and put it on.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:54 PM
sgebauer
1st Gear
Add another one to the list. The three rear pieces have started peeling on the ends on my wife's CM. It's 10 days old. Outstanding!

Old 07-24-2011, 06:07 PM
ALL4TURBO
3rd Gear
I dealt with the trim today.. no more chrome.. 2 Kits from Pep Boys $7 each. Used 1 1/2 kits..

Attached Thumbnails Chrome Trim Peeling after 7-days-img_2151.jpg   Chrome Trim Peeling after 7-days-img_2153.jpg   Chrome Trim Peeling after 7-days-img_2160.jpg  
Old 07-24-2011, 06:09 PM
ALL4TURBO
3rd Gear
A few more shots. Took me about 2 hours. I was in no hurry to finish quick. Went on smooth and easy no issues.

Attached Thumbnails Chrome Trim Peeling after 7-days-img_2159.jpg   Chrome Trim Peeling after 7-days-img_2155.jpg  
Old 07-24-2011, 06:17 PM
ALL4TURBO
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JudgeS

So your placing it on over the repaired trim?

I've actually had no issue with mine peeling (yet) but think I will prefer the blacked out belt line (and if not go for the permanent fix later on). Still not sure if I should put it on top of the chrome tape, or peel it off and put it on.
Yes, I didnt want to peel it off then put the tape on because I wanted Mini to cover it under warranty. One day I may sell this sweet ride and if I have to peel it off the black because its old and weathered I want the chrome to be there.. Not the ugly tan thats underneath.. Also, Mini may not cover it later on if they see black tape on it. They could say the vinyl made the chrome peel.. Be hard to prove since every Mini made is peeling but they could.... Maybe.

Get to it. It was easy.. and HOT!! Even in my garage..

Old 07-25-2011, 06:48 AM
buddy lee
3rd Gear
A few more shots. Took me about 2 hours. I was in no hurry to finish quick. Went on smooth and easy no issues.
Looks nice... can you link to exactly what you bought or give exact name/model #??

Old 07-25-2011, 08:52 AM
ALL4TURBO
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by buddy lee
Looks nice... can you link to exactly what you bought or give exact name/model #??
3 Posts up I included a photo of what I used. It was on the shelf with all the vinyl stuff at Pep Boys. Heres a Amazon link for it. http://www.amazon.com/Trimbrite-T900.../dp/B00029XD62

Last edited by ALL4TURBO; 07-25-2011 at 08:54 AM. Reason: added link
Old 07-25-2011, 08:56 AM
buddy lee
3rd Gear
3 Posts up I included a photo of what I used. It was on the shelf with all the vinyl stuff at Pep Boys. Heres a Amazon link for it. http://www.amazon.com/Trimbrite-T900.../dp/B00029XD62
Thanks... must have been the one pic I didn't look at

Old 07-25-2011, 05:03 PM
SpringCityMINI
1st Gear
Well...I visited the dealership in Arlington over the weekend while in town on business. I had to pick up my plates and check on the status of the trim pieces. Apparently, the wrong pieces were ordered and should be in tomorrow. Our original sales person pointed out a CM on the floor that they had purposely peeled all the chrome tape off and painted the trim matte black. I have to say, I am liking this more and more. I have just about talked the dealership into performing this on my CM also. If it looks as clean as the CM on the floor, I might also have the headlamp and tail light chrome trim rings painted the same. I also have to take mine for an unrelated issue this week. I'll put that in another post.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:41 PM
ALL4TURBO
3rd Gear
Lots of us feel the same way. Blacked out isn't for everyone but I like it. Go for it.

Quick Reply: Chrome Trim Peeling after 7-days