R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Chrome Trim Peeling after 7-days

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 09:26 AM
miniwpbear
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Same thing after 4 weeks. Peeling on the rear passenger quarter panel. My 09 cooper hardtop has not had a problem though. Must be a bad batch.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:42 AM
OneTraveler
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peeling trim

Well, I was hoping the OP was going to be an isolated incident but seems not to be. No heat where I live, but we have salt air that's tough on chrome trim. My Jeep's lasted much longer than I expected, but sounds like the CM's is lacking. I suppose I will have to deal with this (get my ride at the end of the month so can't compare my own yet) at some point. Not being able to see mine upclose, what do you think about just painting it? I've removed a lot chrome from my motorcycle as the weather attacks it and it's a look that i don't mind. How difficult/easy would it be to remove the trim and re-install it myself?

Last edited by OneTraveler; 06-07-2011 at 03:10 PM. Reason: minor grammatical error
Old 06-07-2011, 11:18 AM
silvernuke
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is really disappointing. This type of quality issue is certainly avoidable at the factory. What also strikes as a big surprise/disappointment is the fact that Countryman's Chrome trim is simply a thin stripe of chrome tape put on to a plastic trim with adhesive, not even wrapped around. While this may actually be quite normal practice these days for non-premium cars, I certainly didn't realize that. Clearly, using chrome tapes instead of chrome plated trim is one of the cost cutting majors that fails big time.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:26 AM
miniwpbear
4th Gear
Parts are back ordered on delay until at least 6/21.

Mini is getting a little mid in the face for taking the cheap route with crome tape on these newer models.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:54 AM
el_Zilcho
2nd Gear
I checked mine over the weekend an no issues here. Had mine for ~2 months now. May be a May delivery batch issue

Old 06-08-2011, 04:27 PM
Syck2972
2nd Gear
Went to my dealership today and the service manager ordered both sides for me. He told me he has never seen that problem on a MINI before. I told him how others on here are having the same problem. He said it might be a bad batch of parts.

Could it also be a aerodynamic problem? I've noticed on mine and other photos how the chrome is pushed down at an angle at corner of the trim piece. The angle looks about the same on both sides. Hmmmm......

Old 06-08-2011, 08:38 PM
bradrulz
3rd Gear
This chrome tape also appears so cheap that if I lived where it was cold out and received snow I would worry every time I have to use the ice scraper. Seems one hit to this with an ice scraper will result in a tear.

Seems all the thicker this is, is like Monokote for RC Airplanes. They should recall these pieces and make something else available that is more durable. Is very embarrassing driving around with my paper plate still and this tape peeling up or totally gone in one case.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:13 PM
bradrulz
3rd Gear
Looks like I will be adding one more chrome molding to my list to have dealer order to replace on Monday. Count will now be 5. I see the rear driver side molding seems to have shrunk and I can see material under chrome tape.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:16 AM
miniwpbear
4th Gear
I was hoping for the chrome to be available but an update from the parts dept is encouraging.

"Parts guys said that they came up with a bulletin and a new part number (showing to be available July 1)"

Maybe the chrome is being improved or at least changed back to the previous model year version.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:37 PM
bradrulz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by miniwpbear
I was hoping for the chrome to be available but an update from the parts dept is encouraging.

"Parts guys said that they came up with a bulletin and a new part number (showing to be available July 1)"

Maybe the chrome is being improved or at least changed back to the previous model year version.
I was supposed to have 5 new chrome strips installed on Saturday. Called the dealer up to ask if they have any news on a service bulletin, part number changes, and being released on July 1st. They didn't have any news on this and hadn't heard of it. The parts guy said it is pretty much imminent given the amount of issues with these pieces. I canceled my appointment as I really don't want to travel 140 miles each way to have the same POS design trim pieces put on it there is some hope of a new design in July.

Was your dealership able to give you any part numbers?

Old 06-27-2011, 04:45 PM
zekemini#3
1st Gear
Picked up my Countryman Saturday, drove it 127 miles home in 98 degree heat and the chrome tape on both passenger side corners is coming off. Total of 6 of the moldings are short. One of those got short today in the sun so I expect them all to fail. Talked to my dealer today. They say they knew about it (thanks for warning me) and that there is a temporary fix (more tape) that they'll do now until the permanent fix is available. The permanent fix is aluminum molding and will be available "soon" I asked about the July 1st date and was told that it was highly unlikely that the new aluminum part would be manufactured and available for order by then. Love the car otherwise, this is my 3rd Mini, but this is absurd, that tape wouldnt even be acceptable on a model car. Find out anything from your end?

Old 06-27-2011, 08:06 PM
bradrulz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by zekemini#3
Picked up my Countryman Saturday, drove it 127 miles home in 98 degree heat and the chrome tape on both passenger side corners is coming off. Total of 6 of the moldings are short. One of those got short today in the sun so I expect them all to fail. Talked to my dealer today. They say they knew about it (thanks for warning me) and that there is a temporary fix (more tape) that they'll do now until the permanent fix is available. The permanent fix is aluminum molding and will be available "soon" I asked about the July 1st date and was told that it was highly unlikely that the new aluminum part would be manufactured and available for order by then. Love the car otherwise, this is my 3rd Mini, but this is absurd, that tape wouldnt even be acceptable on a model car. Find out anything from your end?
Haven't found anything more out. Dealership hasn't heard of anything in works according to them. Parts guy said they will have to do something. Service advisors claim they haven't ever seen this before. 1-800-ASK-MINI knows nothing and each person I have talked with at that number claims to have never heard of this issue either. Guess it is a waiting game. I definitely don't want to get the POS ones I currently have replaced with the same. Thinking it is best holding out for a new design/replacement.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:22 AM
Miniblue2
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dealership here in The Woodlands said they are coming out with a good fix in July. They are actually selling cars with the tape peeling. Hasn't slowed sales so far.

I got mine in January and no hint of any problem with the tape - windows going all the way down is my pet peeve.

Bill

Old 06-29-2011, 10:16 AM
miniwpbear
4th Gear
I wonder if the fix of aluminum will look a little different. I am assuming the older MCS were aluminum and my wife's 2009 MCS is not tape and looks a little more like a brushed and polished aluminum.

Bottom line is it will not look right when the dealer only replaces one or two pieces around the car. I smell trouble ahead......

Old 06-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Miniblue2
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd like to think if the fix is aluminum they will replace all the trim and not just the bad. Mine will probably wait until the warrantee is over before peeling.

Bill

Old 06-29-2011, 08:49 PM
bradrulz
3rd Gear
Would think they would definitely have to replace all of it and not just the bad pieces otherwise it would look almost as bad as the peeling trim. Mine is actually beige now since it has been off so long.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:26 PM
Syck2972
2nd Gear
Does anyone know what the bulletin number is? My MINI service guy doesn't show anything in his system yet. He did tell me he would call me if he finds anything out.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:49 PM
zekemini#3
1st Gear
Roadshow Mini in Memphis says no service bulletin yet. They say the July "fix" is temporary and that the alloy permanent parts are in the works but must be manufactured for the Countryman and will be a while. Love the vehicle otherwise, but this is SO incredibly disappointing.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:20 PM
bradrulz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by zekemini#3
Roadshow Mini in Memphis says no service bulletin yet. They say the July "fix" is temporary and that the alloy permanent parts are in the works but must be manufactured for the Countryman and will be a while. Love the vehicle otherwise, but this is SO incredibly disappointing.

Guess I should have just kept my appointment last Saturday to get the 5 new trim pieces put on . . . . .then I would already have the temporary solution.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:58 AM
Syck2972
2nd Gear
I have an appointment for July 18th to get the two rear pieces replaced. Just noticed the other day that one of the passenger side pieces has shrunk. :(

Old 07-03-2011, 06:54 PM
el_Zilcho
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by el_Zilcho
I checked mine over the weekend an no issues here. Had mine for ~2 months now. May be a May delivery batch issue
I retract my previous comment. Mine is now bubbling and peeling in several locations.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:59 PM
SpringCityMINI
1st Gear
Our Countryman seems to be having the same issue with the chrome trim along the rear of the hood. It seems to have been affected by the extreme heat we have been having lately. Dealer stated this is becoming a common occurance. They ordered me a complete new trim piece and will have it installed at the first service interval. I figured there would be some first year bugs to work out, but as long as they are covered, I'm cool with it.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Mavryk03
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah my trim it's coming off the front window, my ma said that mini usa has identified this as a problem with the manufacture. I don't know why this would be happening to the cm's only if this is the same product used on all the mc's but the dealer is going to replace it damn right u will replace it

Old 07-13-2011, 01:27 PM
zekemini#3
1st Gear
Ugh. Got some 3M automotive decal glue? and glued the pieces down before they started flapping in the wind. My MA said to just cut them off...yeah, right. Everybody with this ugly issue, please keep us posted on your replacement status. My dealer is telling me the fix available in July is still just said to be temporary. That there is no estimate on how long the permanent fix will take to manufacture. I don't get it, every Mini on that lot has the same chrome molding. Theyve been putting it on Minis since 2002. Why settle for such crappy work on the new Countryman?

Old 07-18-2011, 04:05 PM
Syck2972
2nd Gear
I took my CMS in this evening to get the two rear curved pieces replaced. We noticed that both drive and passenger door have shrinking chrome. My MA said may be able to get them in tomorrow, if not we'll have to bring it back at a later day to get them replaced. I'm also having a rattle in the drives side passenger door checked and having wheel locked installed.

My loaner car? A brand new 2011 MINI Cooper Hardtop (500 miles on it), they currently do not have any CMs as a loaner. It is silver with a white top. Not a S but still nice to ride.

I already miss my baby!

Last edited by Syck2972; 07-18-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Chrome Trim Peeling after 7-days