R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Chrome Trim Peeling after 7-days

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 08:18 PM
bradrulz
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chrome Trim Peeling after 7-days

I just noticed below the rear window and the adjacent windows that the chrome trim below the windows are peeling pretty bad. Looks as if they use chrome tape for this. One section is peeled about 3-inches. Looks like this will be my first warranty claim.

Attached Thumbnails Chrome Trim Peeling after 7-days-dscn2300.jpg   Chrome Trim Peeling after 7-days-dscn2301.jpg  
Old 05-30-2011, 04:47 AM
Sealy
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not good. Looks like someone in Austria used Elmers instead of 3M. I hope this is a fluke and not a preview.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:35 AM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea thats not good, how hot has it been out there in AZ?

Old 05-30-2011, 07:40 AM
tippykayak
5th Gear
Boo! That's crap. Good thing it'll be covered.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:25 AM
bradrulz
3rd Gear
I am hoping it will be covered under warranty. Don't see any reason why not. It has been in the 90's here where I am at in Arizona. The dealer is about 130 miles away from my house. I emailed pictures to them last night. Wonder if they have to order whole new trim pieces or just some more chrome tape. Disappointing to see that cheap chrome tape used on the car.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:52 AM
tippykayak
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bradrulz
I am hoping it will be covered under warranty. Don't see any reason why not. It has been in the 90's here where I am at in Arizona. The dealer is about 130 miles away from my house. I emailed pictures to them last night. Wonder if they have to order whole new trim pieces or just some more chrome tape. Disappointing to see that cheap chrome tape used on the car.
Isn't most car chrome trim just plastic with tape shrunk onto it?

Old 05-30-2011, 11:05 AM
bradrulz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tippykayak
Isn't most car chrome trim just plastic with tape shrunk onto it?
You are correct, but I haven't ever felt any that have been this cheap. The wind while driving is peeling it more and more. Is about half way peeled off now.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:29 AM
tippykayak
5th Gear
You are correct, but I haven't ever felt any that have been this cheap. The wind while driving is peeling it more and more. Is about half way peeled off now.
Sounds like a bad batch of glue or the wrong temperature when shrinking it onto the plastic. Hopefully your next one is good and we don't all have crappy trim.

That's part of the standard chrome, not the extra chrome option, right?

Old 05-30-2011, 12:44 PM
bradrulz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tippykayak
Sounds like a bad batch of glue or the wrong temperature when shrinking it onto the plastic. Hopefully your next one is good and we don't all have crappy trim.

That's part of the standard chrome, not the extra chrome option, right?

Yes, part of the standard chrome trim

Old 05-31-2011, 11:19 AM
John Richard
3rd Gear
Goodness sakes! This really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Not something that Mini should ever let get through the quality control process. Keep us informed on how they respond.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:40 AM
CoolantGuy
3rd Gear
Unhappy

Originally Posted by John Richard
Goodness sakes! This really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Not something that Mini should ever let get through the quality control process. Keep us informed on how they respond.
+1

Old 05-31-2011, 02:58 PM
bradrulz
3rd Gear
Dealer is ordering 3 new moldings. They only have one in stock so they said it will be about 14-days to get as they said they are coming from Germany. The service advisor said they haven't ever seen anything like this before. So hopefully nobody else will have this issue and hopefully the rest of the moldings on my car will not have this issue.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:14 PM
Syck2972
2nd Gear
I picked my car up on May 17th and just noticed a defect on the chrome on the passenger side next to the boot. You would think someone would of seen this somewhere between the factory and the dealership. The chrome isn't peeling, it is short. I send a message to my MA today to see what can be done. Here are a couple of photos. They show both ends of that trim piece.

Attached Thumbnails Chrome Trim Peeling after 7-days-chrome-01.jpg   Chrome Trim Peeling after 7-days-chrome-02.jpg  
Old 06-01-2011, 02:34 PM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
+2; Mini/BMW need for much better QC.

Should not ever happen as you say. I wish Mini corporate would seriously pay attention to stuff like this and frankly that there were real consequences inside Mini, and the dealer for slip ups. Not just bill backs to the supplier (an automotive norm), but that somebody actually had to answer to a higher-up. They need to clean up their act--and realize the power of the web--if they are going to get their quality ratings out of the cellar. Their failure to do so doesnt help the brand, nor our value for used cars.

And no, I don't particularly believe the usual "we've never seen/heard of that before." It's called delamination usually; last I saw it was on a 1985 Audi. Of course that was a car built 26 years ago, and it was several years old when it happened. They had a TSB (TIS) on it, and the dealer stocked the parts. Plus it was real metal with a clearcoat adhesive on top, not a junk piece of thin foil that this apparently is.

Originally Posted by John Richard

Old 06-01-2011, 03:19 PM
bradrulz
3rd Gear
I have one that is a little short also. Will show this to the advisor when they are replacing the other three pieces.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:50 PM
BradfromOntario
3rd Gear
Let them know so they should be able to order it in and replace them all in one shot.

I have one that is a little short also. Will show this to the advisor when they are replacing the other three pieces.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:01 PM
John Richard
3rd Gear
I started to get paranoid, so I went out to check Jack. I skated on this one, tough I empathize with those who haven't.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:05 PM
MINIATURIZE
2nd Gear
Well, I took a look at the chrome molding in the same location as yours & I can definitely see a slight separation from the molding at the end cap. The end of the chrome tape is exposed. Could be problematic. BUMMER!
I compared this to the same area on my R53 & that molding is assembled very well. no separation what so ever & seems to be of higher quality.
Unfortunately, I can foresee the chrome tape of CM molding eventually coming up. I'm going to point this out to my MA & service rep next time I'm at the dealer.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:31 PM
bradrulz
3rd Gear
Just had them add the chrome molding below the front windshield to the list. Can see the white at the end. Around a 1/4" of white showing before end cap. Quality control on these chrome moldings are terrible.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:21 PM
docgamboa
1st Gear
I had a similar issue with my new MCS 2011, all my exterior chrome pieces got opaque in a week. The warranty covers it, but I have to wait 4 weeks for the pieces to arrive from Germany.
Good luck!

Old 06-04-2011, 08:19 PM
alrauer
2nd Gear
Aww, man! I'm sorry to hear you guys are dealing with this... I've gotta run out to the garage and look mine over!!

Old 06-04-2011, 08:22 PM
bradrulz
3rd Gear
I noted this disappointment in the trim when I filled out the Mini survey today in the box of things you feel could be improved in the Mini.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:02 AM
NavyET
2nd Gear
This exace thing just happened to my countryman as well. It appears the Texas heat this past week has caused the adhesive to melt. I will take it in soon but really would like a recommendation for an off the shelf replacement. Is there a 3M tape in chrome? Maybe I should just black it out.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:16 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How about carbon fiber wrap ......... That chrome tape is never going to hold up in the southern states........

http://www.bimmian.com/youtube.htm?video=52

Old 06-07-2011, 07:22 AM
bradrulz
3rd Gear
My dealer in Arizona claims to have never seen this happen before. I am having four of the strips replaced. Will see how the second batch is.

Quick Reply: Chrome Trim Peeling after 7-days