R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Catless DP and exhausts for R60

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 02:07 AM
illest_r60
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Catless DP and exhausts for R60

Hey what's up Miniacs! This is one of my first threads here on NAM. I am looking into getting a catless DP and a sick exhaust system to enhance the fury the N18 in my CM is already unleashing.

I would like to get more out of those pops and the burbles. After hearing the F56 with the JCW Pro Exhaust system and the Remus Valvetronic Exhaust, I knew that that was the type of sound I was looking for my Mini. Has anyone experimented with their CM by putting straight pipes, full system exhausts? Are there any bigger downpipes than a 2.5in catless DP? Possibly 3in? Voice your opinions below

Motor On!

Last edited by illest_r60; 04-01-2017 at 02:29 AM.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:57 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Hi,
2.5" is a perfect size for power, sound and fitment. Tuning the car will give you much more of the pops and burbles you are looking for.
You can email me MarioPalza@gmail.com, I sell both the DP and tuning in California
Thanks
Mario

mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning Dealer

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 04-03-2017, 08:45 AM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Ive modified my exhaust a few times now and can give some insight.
-First went with the 2.5" catless DP, slightly deeper than stock and barely heard the pops and burbles
-Second, had the 2nd cat and resonator removed and replaced with straight pipe, still stock muffler. Sounds good street driving up until 60mph then it drones in the 2600-2900 range. Pops and burbles would send kids running from the school yard.
-Finally, I have added an 18" Vibrant bottle style resonator (1791). Perfect sound and tone from the stock pipes/muffler, very low highway drone around 2200 rpm under load but the pops are still a little much for anything other than very spirited driving, especially with a Manic tune which make them go off like a machine gun.

- If I were to do it again, I would've went with the Vibrant ultra quiet resonator instead of the bottle style but I'd have to get new pipe welded because its shorter and I'm not that concerned with sport mode at the moment. In the future probably switching to a 2.5" DP back as it offers a lower tone and will probably be better to run in sport mode, I do miss the heavy steering.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:09 AM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
Got a quick clip at lunch today. Sound on iPhone cut out just as I was shifting on second pass but you get a good enough idea of what it sounds like.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:26 AM
the_redpill
1st Gear
I'm getting ready to get Mario to flash my ECU and get a downpipe. Mario, what can you state to sell me on yours? While I'm all about quality, the WMW is $250 cheaper. Is there that much difference?

Old 05-20-2017, 02:58 PM
bennyhutch
Neutral
Originally Posted by cstrumol
Ive modified my exhaust a few times now and can give some insight.
-First went with the 2.5" catless DP, slightly deeper than stock and barely heard the pops and burbles
-Second, had the 2nd cat and resonator removed and replaced with straight pipe, still stock muffler. Sounds good street driving up until 60mph then it drones in the 2600-2900 range. Pops and burbles would send kids running from the school yard.
-Finally, I have added an 18" Vibrant bottle style resonator (1791). Perfect sound and tone from the stock pipes/muffler, very low highway drone around 2200 rpm under load but the pops are still a little much for anything other than very spirited driving, especially with a Manic tune which make them go off like a machine gun.

- If I were to do it again, I would've went with the Vibrant ultra quiet resonator instead of the bottle style but I'd have to get new pipe welded because its shorter and I'm not that concerned with sport mode at the moment. In the future probably switching to a 2.5" DP back as it offers a lower tone and will probably be better to run in sport mode, I do miss the heavy steering.
Not sure why I am just finding this but i finally found someone to say they have/had drone issues on an aftermarket set up from 2500-3000k rpms. THANK YOU! hah everyone I would say something to was like it was very minimal drone.....I mean yea, turn up the radio and youre pretty much good but I would still like to get rid of the drone as its almost silent if it isnt under load. I know you said you would go ultra quiet but do you think it would fit? I am probably going to end up getting the bottle style like you.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:19 AM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
The ultra quiet will fit but it hangs down an inch or so. Mariokart has one in his CM and said it's been fine with no scraping

Old 05-21-2017, 04:15 PM
bennyhutch
Neutral
well dang..Mario is super low too so I would love to see a pic. For the bottle resonator does it make highway driving more manageable? I always have to go 81 so that I can get the rpms over 3k a bit. The bassy drone sucks, my only gripe of having a hatch.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:40 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by bennyhutch
well dang..Mario is super low too so I would love to see a pic. For the bottle resonator does it make highway driving more manageable? I always have to go 81 so that I can get the rpms over 3k a bit. The bassy drone sucks, my only gripe of having a hatch.
You want the Vibrant 1141 2.5" oval on Amazon
Helps a lot with freeway drone

{
}

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 05-21-2017, 04:41 PM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
It's definitely more manageable but seems to change daily. Don't know how to explain it, might be road surface or maybe I have a leak but even at its quietest I'd still like it a bit quieter. I think it's just the tone of the muffler, I've given up modifying anything until I get my 2.5" system. I drive 50 miles daily for work and a lot on the weekend for bike races, I need it a bit quieter.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:55 AM
bennyhutch
Neutral
Mario- do you have a picture. Id like to see how you put it in and where.