R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 2017 Countryman - An Appreciation

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 03:25 PM
HamsterDR
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 Countryman - An Appreciation

I got my new Countryman on Saturday - bought if off the delivery truck even before they could check it into stock at MINI of Las Vegas. Here is the equipment:

2017 MINI Cooper S Countryman
Island Blue Metallic (White Roof)
Fully Loaded Package
Chesterfield Leather British Oak
Sport Auto Transmission
MINI Yours Steering Wheel
19" Edged Spoke Wheels (225/45 R 19 92 W RSC Bridgestone Tires)

(I got a very good deal - the factory is offering a $1500 discount in March and I also got an AARP discount - though I took a bath on my 2013 Paceman trade in.)

I think this might be the most controversial MINI they have ever produced. It drives like a BMW - not a MINI. That is a good thing from my point of view - but my wife, who owned 2004 and 2008 Cooper S hardtops thinks it is too big.

The car is very quiet - less engine and running noise (though the run-flats still transmit road noise from rough surfaces). It gives the perception of being faster than the Paceman S - but I think that is an illusion because of the smooth, quiet application of power. The 8-speed transmission also has a very low 1st gear that gets you started quickly (and 8th gear is very high - less than 2000 RPM at 65 MPH). This car has adjustable shocks, and in Sport mode, the engine response and chassis behavior stiffens up - it is very noticeable. I run in "standard" mode most of the time - there is also a "Green" mode that I avoid - it has an engine auto stop/start function that I don't want.

The interior - particularly with the upgraded leather (which I am told is also used in the BMW 7-series) - really makes the car look like an entry level luxury vehicle. Some of the usual MINI strangeness survives, but most of the main functions are a lot more direct and easy to use. The Navigation system is a huge improvement over what I had in the 2013 Paceman - but, oddly, there is no Navigation manual supplied with the car - only reference to the built-in manual loaded on the car computer. (You also can now play videos on the dash screen!.)

The car integrates much better with my iPhone. The MINI Connected App lets you define a navigation destination on the iPhone, and when you get in the car, the navigation starts up automatically - that is a real convenience, though the iPhone App can't seem to use the contacts on the phone.

I think it is worth visiting your local MNI dealer and taking a test drive - even if you know you are not interested in the "Maxi-MINI".

I'm really pleased so far - everything works, though I did crash the car computer once causing a reboot. I assume software updates will be forthcoming. (One issue for those concerned with privacy: the Voice control apparently connects and uses Cloud processing to improve functionality. You can turn this off however.)

David

Old 03-30-2017, 12:05 PM
09BMW328
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
That's great. mine is to port this weekend and I should have my eyes on it in 2 weeks. Lets see some pictures

Old 03-30-2017, 01:43 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by HamsterDR
I got my new Countryman on Saturday - bought if off the delivery truck even before they could check it into stock at MINI of Las Vegas. Here is the equipment:

2017 MINI Cooper S Countryman
Island Blue Metallic (White Roof)
Fully Loaded Package
Chesterfield Leather British Oak
Sport Auto Transmission
MINI Yours Steering Wheel
19" Edged Spoke Wheels (225/45 R 19 92 W RSC Bridgestone Tires)

(I got a very good deal - the factory is offering a $1500 discount in March and I also got an AARP discount - though I took a bath on my 2013 Paceman trade in.)

I think this might be the most controversial MINI they have ever produced. It drives like a BMW - not a MINI. That is a good thing from my point of view - but my wife, who owned 2004 and 2008 Cooper S hardtops thinks it is too big.

The car is very quiet - less engine and running noise (though the run-flats still transmit road noise from rough surfaces). It gives the perception of being faster than the Paceman S - but I think that is an illusion because of the smooth, quiet application of power. The 8-speed transmission also has a very low 1st gear that gets you started quickly (and 8th gear is very high - less than 2000 RPM at 65 MPH). This car has adjustable shocks, and in Sport mode, the engine response and chassis behavior stiffens up - it is very noticeable. I run in "standard" mode most of the time - there is also a "Green" mode that I avoid - it has an engine auto stop/start function that I don't want.

The interior - particularly with the upgraded leather (which I am told is also used in the BMW 7-series) - really makes the car look like an entry level luxury vehicle. Some of the usual MINI strangeness survives, but most of the main functions are a lot more direct and easy to use. The Navigation system is a huge improvement over what I had in the 2013 Paceman - but, oddly, there is no Navigation manual supplied with the car - only reference to the built-in manual loaded on the car computer. (You also can now play videos on the dash screen!.)

The car integrates much better with my iPhone. The MINI Connected App lets you define a navigation destination on the iPhone, and when you get in the car, the navigation starts up automatically - that is a real convenience, though the iPhone App can't seem to use the contacts on the phone.

I think it is worth visiting your local MNI dealer and taking a test drive - even if you know you are not interested in the "Maxi-MINI".

I'm really pleased so far - everything works, though I did crash the car computer once causing a reboot. I assume software updates will be forthcoming. (One issue for those concerned with privacy: the Voice control apparently connects and uses Cloud processing to improve functionality. You can turn this off however.)

David
Where did you hear they use cloud processing for voice commands? On newer BMWs that is the case, but MINIs don't use this because they do not have the hardware for a data connection. I actually asked a MINI rep about this and he confirmed they do not.

You can input addresses from your phone's address book into the navigation, but you would do it through the navigation menu, not MINI Connected. Open up nav and go to Address Book, then there should be an option to see your contacts. If one of your contacts has an address attached, you will get an option to route to that address.

Nice build!

Old 04-05-2017, 02:53 PM
HamsterDR
2nd Gear
The Owners Manual page 28 says:

Quote>>>>
Activating voice recognition via the server

The voice recognition feature via the server provides a dictation function and a natural method of entering destinations while improving the quality of voice recognition. To use the functions, data is transmitted to a service provider via an encrypted connection and stored locally there.
End Quote>>>>

I am really curious about how this transmission works - I asume they could piggyback on the SiriusXM signal for downloads (like for real-time traffic), but how do they do uploads?

I know I can use contacts on the Nav system but it wants to "validate" the address to use it and it looks like you have to do that in a separate step. The Nav system in my Paceman was the same way though this system is actually good unlike the Paceman Nav.

David

Old 04-05-2017, 03:52 PM
HamsterDR
2nd Gear
I just checked the car, and the server voice option is not present. Manual is incorrect. Something that they were planning but didn't make the cut?

(The MINI Owner Manuals are pretty bad - I understand they want you to experiment, but I think the guide should at least give you an accurate overview to orient you. There is nothing about the navigation system at all.)

David

Old 04-06-2017, 01:19 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
The Owners Manual page 28 says:

Quote>>>>
Activating voice recognition via the server

The voice recognition feature via the server provides a dictation function and a natural method of entering destinations while improving the quality of voice recognition. To use the functions, data is transmitted to a service provider via an encrypted connection and stored locally there.
End Quote>>>>

I am really curious about how this transmission works - I asume they could piggyback on the SiriusXM signal for downloads (like for real-time traffic), but how do they do uploads?

I know I can use contacts on the Nav system but it wants to "validate" the address to use it and it looks like you have to do that in a separate step. The Nav system in my Paceman was the same way though this system is actually good unlike the Paceman Nav.

David
I just checked the car, and the server voice option is not present. Manual is incorrect. Something that they were planning but didn't make the cut?

(The MINI Owner Manuals are pretty bad - I understand they want you to experiment, but I think the guide should at least give you an accurate overview to orient you. There is nothing about the navigation system at all.)

David
Well on BMWs, there is a telematics module that basically has a built in SIM card that connects via AT&Ts network for data. This is used for updating widgets in iDrive, Advanced Real Time Traffic, and for voice command processing through Nuance's servers. This connection does not exist on MINIs.

Traffic information on a MINI actually comes in via FM, not satellite, on a service called Real Time Traffic Info which a network actually run by Clear Channel, I believe.

I'm guessing they cut and pasted from the BMW manual, which wouldn't surprise me!

Old 04-06-2017, 03:42 PM
HamsterDR
2nd Gear
Thanks for the info. I think my Infinity used SiriusXM for the real time traffic but I don't know for sure.

Speech recognition is decent on the MINI and I suspect using a remote server would slow things down some so this is not a major issue.

I wonder if MINI is going to offer updates of the computer software. It has already crashed an rebooted once on me. Over the air updates for that software would be very convenient.

David

Old 04-06-2017, 04:10 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Thanks for the info. I think my Infinity used SiriusXM for the real time traffic but I don't know for sure.

Speech recognition is decent on the MINI and I suspect using a remote server would slow things down some so this is not a major issue.

I wonder if MINI is going to offer updates of the computer software. It has already crashed an rebooted once on me. Over the air updates for that software would be very convenient.

David
Yes, some car manufacturers use SiriusXM for traffic info. The advantage MINI has over these companies and even BMW with their ARTTI service is that RTTI is free. BMW and other companies start charging a monthly fee after sometime.

I also wish other car companies get to a point where OTA updates are commonplace, like Tesla. So many of the issues modern cars have are usually software related and in the case of MINI, require 3-4 hours in a programming bay.

With regards to your rebooting issue, that would be something I would let your service department know about, especially if it's happening often.

Old 04-18-2017, 03:38 PM
HamsterDR
2nd Gear
seriuszero:

Just had a discussion with my (very knowledgeable) motoring advisor. I mentioned the computer had rebooted on me once. He said that was because an update had been downloaded and needed to be installed. He said the newest version (V5) of the system and navigation software which my car has does software updates over the satellite connection. That can cause a reboot - and is not an indication of a problem. He said all MINIs now being built include the satellite connection hardware - and is functional even if you haven't purchased the SiriusXM radio. (He said you can authorize the SiriusXM feature after the fact - but it is expensive.) So, that is very good news for these computers on wheels. He added that there may be major updates every two years that would require a visit to the dealer.

This Countryman is a wonderful car and we are really enjoying it. The dealer has only sold 5 of these cars so far - and mine is the only one optioned this way. They can't get the cars, and factory orders are stretching out into July/August. The strike at the Oxford plant is really screwing up production.

David

Old 04-20-2017, 11:34 AM
Midnight Blue
5th Gear
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
seriuszero:

Just had a discussion with my (very knowledgeable) motoring advisor. I mentioned the computer had rebooted on me once. He said that was because an update had been downloaded and needed to be installed. He said the newest version (V5) of the system and navigation software which my car has does software updates over the satellite connection. That can cause a reboot - and is not an indication of a problem. He said all MINIs now being built include the satellite connection hardware - and is functional even if you haven't purchased the SiriusXM radio. (He said you can authorize the SiriusXM feature after the fact - but it is expensive.) So, that is very good news for these computers on wheels. He added that there may be major updates every two years that would require a visit to the dealer.

This Countryman is a wonderful car and we are really enjoying it. The dealer has only sold 5 of these cars so far - and mine is the only one optioned this way. They can't get the cars, and factory orders are stretching out into July/August. The strike at the Oxford plant is really screwing up production.

David
The Countryman is not built at Oxford. They are built at VDL Nedcar in the Netherlands (hence the reason they are shipped from the port at Zeebrugge).

I also think your advisor is full of hot air regarding OTA updates via satellite.

Despite all that, I agree with 100% that the Countryman is a wonderful car!

Old 04-20-2017, 11:46 AM
HamsterDR
2nd Gear
He does the ordering for the dealer, and I expect he would know about production delays. He is the most knowledgeable sales guy I have every dealt with - he knows the car and its features very well - so I trust him on these comments too. His own order for a Countryman S Works has been delayed by the strike.

David

Old 04-20-2017, 04:02 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
seriuszero:

David
He does the ordering for the dealer, and I expect he would know about production delays. He is the most knowledgeable sales guy I have every dealt with - he knows the car and its features very well - so I trust him on these comments too. His own order for a Countryman S Works has been delayed by the strike.

David
Either he is misinformed then or has no idea what he is talking about. Despite the fact that the new touchscreen nav is based on iDrive 5 is does not include any external data connection and hence cannot be updated OTA. It simply is not true, though dealers wish it was - much headache comes from having to update software all the time. BMWs/Tesla do not use satellite for data as it is too slow anyway - they use 4G data from cell carriers (in BMW's case, ATT). While it is true your car is prewired for SiriusXM (hardware exists, but a activation code needs to be purchased and programmed), it does not and will not support any kind of data aside from song/station info.

I will also echo what other people have said in that the Oxford strike has little to do with Countryman production as it is produced in an entirely different country: the Netherlands. They have never been produced in Oxford. You can always tell by the last 7 digits of the VIN: if it starts with a 3, it's Born. Older Countryman start with a "W" to indicate production in Graz, Austria. The low stock of Countryman orders has been known for the last two months, it is a new model after all, but there are 100s hitting the ground now that production has caught up. The only thing causing a delay for F60s right not is if it was being built with the Active Driver Assist option as the hardware for that is in really tight supply.

Not sure if your MA genuinely thinks these things or is just BSing to seem smart, but what he is saying just isn't true.