R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Potential Buyer - 2011 Countryman 4D-S - Quick Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 08:01 PM
AdamITR
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Potential Buyer - 2011 Countryman 4D-S - Quick Help Please

Just about to put a deposit down on a low mileage, (40K) Countryman S. I have driven an '06 & '08 regular Mini Cooper S model(s) in the past. They were great. Now with a family, the Countryman seems like a good vehicle for me. So here are my questions:

1. I'm 6'4, 35 inseam, will I have any problems with legroom? It's the manual version, and I want to make sure I have plenty of under the wheel legroom. I would think headroom will be fine? The car is 4 hrs away, so I don't have luxury for a quick test drive.

2. Any issues with the 2011 model that I should be aware of?

3. My wife is 5'11. My son is 6 yrs old, and growing like a weed. Will he have enough legroom in the back seat? Currently in a booster car seat.

4. Can someone explain the "Over-Boost Feature?"

5. The other Mini's I drove were auto. How does the manual gearbox feel? As my username kinda indicates ... I drove/raced and Integra Type R, I still rate transmissions to that ...

Old 03-22-2017, 08:21 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
My son drives mine, he is 6'1" no issues, but it is an automatic.

Would not buy without a PPI and a log of past services. Plenty of issues on these cars, clutch problems as well. Have to do a search on that.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:24 PM
kw5308
Neutral
I'm also 6'4" with same inseam and have a 2011 Countryman S ALL4/Manual. I have no problem with leg room or head room. In fact, the seat lowers enough that the sight lines are very good all around and right hand views are not blocked by the rearview mirror. I'm guessing you also have trouble with this in most cars... tall guy problems amirite?

The only comfort thing I notice is the dash above the gas pedal has a bulge that I'll brush with my toes (Size 12.5) when going from gas to brake. It's not dangerous in any way, just something I notice.

I've only had the car for about 2 months, also found one with low miles. Check if the clutch has been re-done, I found out after purchase that the 2011 clutch was too weak for the extra Countryman weight and Mini put out an updated retrofit. My original clutch burned out a week after I bought it but the dealer had a 30 day warranty so they fixed it no charge. Google "Mini R60 Smelly Clutch" and you'll find details. If the clutch is still original show them some paperwork and get a warranty if you can.

Rear room is pretty good for a small car, better than the Jetta my Mini replaced. I'd expect your wife could fit behind your seat just fine, if not your son.

I'm not sorry at all for choosing the manual. The gearbox is tight and the (new) clutch feels great, upshifting and downshifting is very smooth. Only odd thing is finding first is a little tight. Reverse is just a hard push left and forward and I'm always worried I'm going to go too far over when dropping back into first. Gear/torque ratios feel very good on stock wheels, I haven't killed it yet.

Not sure about overboost. Hope the rest helps.

Last edited by kw5308; 03-22-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:02 PM
AdamITR
Neutral
Both, very helpful posts, TY very much. I will look at the service records regarding the clutch.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:38 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
all r60s have the updated clutch after 2012. I am 6'1 and have no issues having anyone behind me and I fit extremely well. I went from my r53 to the r60 and am loving the extra space and the extra doors.

the over boost is in sport mode when you floor it you get 11 or 12 psi of boost for a certain time frame over the normal 10 psi.

the 6spd feels decent, you can tell there are a few rubber bushings in it. and the throw is quite long but I haven't missed a shift or thought I wasn't in gear. im sure a shortshift will change the characteristics drasticly

Old 03-23-2017, 08:14 AM
bmwloco
1st Gear
SWMBO just picked up an '11 Mini Cooper S Countryman All4... so far, so good. She's very happy with it. 6 speed Getrag manual has taken her a little time (reverse especially) but she's "got it" now.

We got lucky and found a 40k mile garage queen. New Continental tires (will be shod with Michelins as soon as they wear out). It hopped around quiet a bit when we first got it - until I put the proper PSI of air into the tires - they were 18-20lbs over charged!

Old 03-23-2017, 08:53 AM
AdamITR
Neutral
So, I spoke with the dealership, and was able to look at the Carfax ... clutch is original, hmm ...

Old 03-23-2017, 09:09 AM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Then I would take the car out for a test drive and work that clutch hard. If it starts to smell or slip, walk away.

The 2011's also had issues with the high pressure fuel pumps so i'd be looking at the service history to see if that has been replaced also.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:41 AM
Midnight Blue
5th Gear
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
2011s and clutch issues go hand-in-hand. Please see my "Smelly Clutch" thread for the ugly details.

I would NOT buy a used 2011 manual All4 unless the clutch has been replaced with the upgraded model (it was the JCW clutch they used as the upgrade). OR unless the dealer provides a specific warranty for clutch replacement.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:38 PM
Rich Rodichok
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I agree. Walk away from that 2011 with the original clutch unless it will be covered by warranty. 1-1/2 years ago I bought a 2012 Countryman S manual with 14k miles on it. 4 days later, clutch went out. I got lucky. Dealer I purchased it from (not a MINI dealer) had to buy an extended warranty from the MINI dealer 2 hours away to get the clutch replaced.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:32 AM
AdamITR
Neutral
Torn here, price is perfect, spoke for a long time with dealer, clutch is original, they do offer an "extended warranty," ... This is the NON - ALL4 model if that makes a difference??

Old 03-24-2017, 10:14 AM
Mark Bielick
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got 75,000 miles on my original 2011 ALL-4 Clutch without a hint of problems. Others have had major issues. 40K miles may put this one in the category of those that never have a problem. It might fail tomorrow. A one year warranty should cover that risk.
I figure when mine hits 90,000 miles, I might change it anyways. I like the car so much I'm willing to take the risk.

Mark

Old 03-24-2017, 05:47 PM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamITR
Torn here, price is perfect, spoke for a long time with dealer, clutch is original, they do offer an "extended warranty," ... This is the NON - ALL4 model if that makes a difference??
Definitely buy an extended warranty. Turbo's failing at 70,000 miles and fuel rails failing arent unheard of with those cars. No to your question about the non-All4 model. Same clutch.

And remember that the dealer will tell you whatever he can to make a sale and unload that car.

Old 03-25-2017, 06:38 AM
Midnight Blue
5th Gear
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Anecdotally, the All4 seemed to have more clutch issues given the additional strain from the all-wheel drive powertrain. Check the Smelly Clutch thread to look for reports of non-All4 clutch failures.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:30 AM
jnrjr79
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm 6'5'' and legroom and headroom are both great. Another 6'5'' person behind me would be doable but not great, as you'd need to move the front seat up a bit. A rear-facing car seat also puts my knees darn near on top of the dash. Outside of that, it's smooth sailing.