R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 A2DP Compatibility?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 08:19 AM
skids
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rktcyntst
I have a Droid X. I can play Netflix audio, ESPN radio audio, Pandora audio, NFL sunday ticket audio, music files, audio of video files (you get the idea) via BT through MINI connected w/Nav.

When I originally paired the phone (through the phone menu), it was paired as phone only. When I unpaired and tried again through the 'External Devices' window, Audio support and phone support was enabled.

Not sure if that answers the OPs question, but the only thing my phone doesn't do that my wife's iPhone does is launch connected. I then discovered that her 3gs does as much as my phone does via y cable except hers displays album art. Big deal. I'll take my Andriod's flexibility and tight integration with Gmail, voice, contacts, calendar, etc any day.

Did I mention I can listen to all audio via BT in my MINI?

EDIT - BTW - the steering wheel controls work on Pandora and music player
Thanks for the tip on the External Devices screen. I unpaired and repaired my Blackberry in that window and it works great now for audio. Love the fact that I can keep it in my pocket and play my music.

For Pandora, do you just launch Pandora on your device and then make sure you are on your External Device and it plays through Bluetooth? Becuase as soon as I connect through the external devices screen it launches my Blackberry Audio.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:46 PM
bin673
Neutral
thanks for the info, do you know if you could do all the A2DP stuff with a regular BT or do I need connected?

I have a Droid X. I can play Netflix audio, ESPN radio audio, Pandora audio, NFL sunday ticket audio, music files, audio of video files (you get the idea) via BT through MINI connected w/Nav.

When I originally paired the phone (through the phone menu), it was paired as phone only. When I unpaired and tried again through the 'External Devices' window, Audio support and phone support was enabled.

Not sure if that answers the OPs question, but the only thing my phone doesn't do that my wife's iPhone does is launch connected. I then discovered that her 3gs does as much as my phone does via y cable except hers displays album art. Big deal. I'll take my Andriod's flexibility and tight integration with Gmail, voice, contacts, calendar, etc any day.

Did I mention I can listen to all audio via BT in my MINI?

EDIT - BTW - the steering wheel controls work on Pandora and music player

Old 10-12-2011, 06:33 PM
Rktcyntst
4th Gear
Originally Posted by skids
Thanks for the tip on the External Devices screen. I unpaired and repaired my Blackberry in that window and it works great now for audio. Love the fact that I can keep it in my pocket and play my music.

For Pandora, do you just launch Pandora on your device and then make sure you are on your External Device and it plays through Bluetooth? Becuase as soon as I connect through the external devices screen it launches my Blackberry Audio.
No problem. Glad to help.

For Pandora, I do exactly what you state. As soon as I select 'External Devices' from the menu or via voice command, the system switches to that mode and triggers my phone's music player to start. I have to manually stop the music, and then start playing whatever source I'm looking to hear from directly on the phone.

Not exactly seamless, but after a few setup steps, everything plays fine. Maybe that rumored android version of connected will actually come out someday to save a few steps and let us run some of the gimicky stuff!

Old 10-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Rktcyntst
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bin673
thanks for the info, do you know if you could do all the A2DP stuff with a regular BT or do I need connected?
AFAIK, you must have MINI Connected for audio BT support. The $700 (or is it $750) BT preparation is purely for phone support.

Seems silly since I had a Motorola BT speaker/visorclip that played audio via radio in my old car, and that was only (when compared to the price of Connected) $50. If all you're looking for is BT audio, there are probably a lot of aftermarket solutions that work just fine at a fraction of the price.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:59 AM
skids
2nd Gear
No problem. Glad to help.

For Pandora, I do exactly what you state. As soon as I select 'External Devices' from the menu or via voice command, the system switches to that mode and triggers my phone's music player to start. I have to manually stop the music, and then start playing whatever source I'm looking to hear from directly on the phone.
At first I could not get Pandora to work, but found in the Pandora options I needed to enable Bluetooth. Works great now as you stated. Thanks again.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Gentlefury
3rd Gear
iOS 5 update now not only supports audio over bluetooth, it also supports metadata! Was nice to see something other than no data available for a change! Here's hoping third party apps start sending data...would be great to have spotify and pandora data over bluetooth....I would also love to see MINI connected over BT...so I can actually use it!!!

Old 10-14-2011, 03:18 PM
youthanasia
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have that Bluetooth option under the 'External Devices' menu. I do have connected and Navi.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:17 AM
Rktcyntst
4th Gear
Originally Posted by youthanasia
I don't have that Bluetooth option under the 'External Devices' menu. I do have connected and Navi.
Try under the "CD/Multimedia" menu selection. There's a selection somewhere in there to add a BT device.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:14 PM
youthanasia
3rd Gear
can you take a screenshot for me please?

Old 12-10-2011, 07:51 AM
Rktcyntst
4th Gear
can you take a screenshot for me please?
I'll take some this morning & post

Old 12-10-2011, 07:49 PM
Rktcyntst
4th Gear
Here's the path I followed to add BT audio.

Select 'CD/Multimedia', select 'Bluetooth (audio)', select 'Add new phone'

from here you end up pairing your phone in the normal fashion.

Once paired, you'll see 2 icons for each phone paired if it supports BT audio. The first one is for the phone (3 networked squares for the phone), the second is a musical note denoting that BT audio is paired.

When I originally paired via the blue path in the picture by selecting 'Telephone', then 'Add new phone', the phone icon appeared, but the BT audio did not.

If I were to select 'DROIDX', it would connect to that phone and then pipe audio from my phone to the MINI's speakers. It usually connects automatically, but I did not have my phone on me when I took these shots.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails A2DP Compatibility?-bt_audio.jpg  
Old 12-20-2011, 07:51 PM
youthanasia
3rd Gear
Yah, I don't have that option. I showed this to my MA today and he is going to ask the BMW Tech about it. They will need my car for a few days in January. Hopefully, this gets all sorted out. Thanks for the screenshots. That really helped.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:53 PM
tatacountry
3rd Gear
This is such great info, thanks community ! I opted against MINI Connected (because I'm an Android user), and against the Bluetooth option (because I don't believe driving and talking on a phone (handsfree or not) is a safe thing to do).

If I would have known MINI Connected supports A2DP, I may have added that option, but in the end I don't think I'll miss it that much because I have a cheaper A2DP solution that works well for me.

I use a small A2DP receiver (just google Blackberry Stereo Bluetooth Gateway) that plugs into the AUX input. Works perfectly in any car. Just wanted to throw that out there in case anyone would find it useful.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:02 PM
youthanasia
3rd Gear
So, my MA got back to me, and they queried BMW about my lack of A2DP support on my car, they came back with "It's not supported until 2012 model year". Which I know is a lie, because I have a 2011 Loaner with a later build date that has the features.

Anybody else here with an earlier build date (late 2010) with Connected/Navi that doesn't have A2DP support? They claimed that there is a switchover date in the 2011 models where it started having this A2DP feature, unfortunately for me, my car doesn't have this. Not sure what the next recourse is.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:05 PM
Flyer53
5th Gear
12/10 build with a 2/11 delivery and have no problems at all A2DP....streaming bluetooth music from mini to iPhones iPads and iPads and apps can be all throttled through the mini via BT.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:53 PM
youthanasia
3rd Gear
So it is B.S. I will try and talk to the sales people, then write a letter to MINI/BMW Canada.

I don't know what other course of action to do (aside from selling the car). What I need to find is another Canadian Model in a 2010 build date, with Nav/Connected that has this functionality running to prove my point.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:27 PM
ehicky8
Neutral
It might be a problem with your phone

So it is B.S. I will try and talk to the sales people, then write a letter to MINI/BMW Canada.

I don't know what other course of action to do (aside from selling the car). What I need to find is another Canadian Model in a 2010 build date, with Nav/Connected that has this functionality running to prove my point.
I'd try another phone and update your Combox bluetooth software. MINI Connected/ Visual Boost has supported A2DP since the lifecycle refresh of the R56 which was when the 2011 model year began arriving in N. America. (see my post back in 10/2010)

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3147827

Although MINI does not yet have a link on their support site, you can update your Combox's bluetooth software from code from the BMW site (which will require the last 7 digits of your VIN). The following link will get you there: http://bmw.com/update

Hope you are streaming your tunes via Bluetooth soon.

My name is Earl