R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Airwerks turbo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2022, 06:25 PM
Lindsay Carter
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Airwerks turbo upgrade

2013 countryman jcw, k&n filter, m7 inlet pipe, alta dv spring(replaced back to stock during troubleshooting) and an m7 noise maker delete pipe. Now that thats done, on to the issue. I've been troubleshooting 2c57 and 2c91 codes, and I've come to the conclusion that my wastegate is stuck open. Dv is fine, and no vacuum leaks. So I went ahead and ordered an airwerks (5303 988 0146) from ecs, and an install kit. Does anyone have experience with these? I know it's only 1mm bigger than oem jcw, but I figured it'll be more reliable, being that it's from their racing dev team. I've seen people mention them here, but no after-install posts. Any info would be helpful. Thanks. Eventually doing stage 2 once I get a downpipe.

Last edited by Lindsay Carter; 08-15-2022 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-30-2022, 08:37 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,767 Posts
Hello,

Just saw this, did you end up getting it installed? https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...5303_988_0146/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-30-2022, 08:46 AM
Lindsay Carter
2nd Gear
Starting the install tomorrow. I'll post after it's done and I drive it for awhile. I'll probably do a review thread as well once everything is said and done.

The following 2 users liked this post by Lindsay Carter:
ECSTuning (08-30-2022), MReiland (08-30-2022)
Old 09-04-2022, 09:25 PM
Lindsay Carter
2nd Gear
Well, dove in head first and rolled around in the gravel all day. Got everything out, hopefully will get it finished tomorrow. I'm itching to clean while I'm in there this deep as well. Also, happy to note that my waste gate was extremely loose, so I'm definitely happy it hasn't all been for not.

The following users liked this post:
SunBird (09-06-2022)
Old 09-05-2022, 04:49 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,723 Likes on 1,387 Posts
You really are deep in there! I give you props, too, for doing that outside. Are you at least covered from the weather?

Old 09-05-2022, 05:52 AM
Lindsay Carter
2nd Gear
It was a beautiful day, no need to put the ez up out. I did get a pretty gnarly sunburn though haha. I should get it finished today, but no rain in the forecast til Friday if i need to take another day to finish. Got it all tarped up overnight to control the condensation. Can't wait to hear some pops and bangs with this milltek catless on, let alone the 50/50 turbosmart bov/dv. My install kit didn't come with studs so I'm gonna need to re use the originals. Any tricks for getting the nuts off? I had a few come out of the block when removing the manifold.

Old 09-06-2022, 07:07 PM
Lindsay Carter
2nd Gear
Almost got it all the way back together today. I just can't figure out where these pesky clips go.

A.

Im guessing this is the impact sensor, but i cant figure out where to put it.

B.

C.

I have no idea where this one is even routed. Its really long. After a Google lens search, I think this is the ac compressor power.

Please help. 🙏

Last edited by Lindsay Carter; 09-06-2022 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-07-2022, 03:30 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
A. is the ambient temperature sensor. On my Clubman, it gets mounted in the bottom of the bumper cover, behind the fog light. Not 10p% sure where it goes on the Countryman.

The other two connector, not sure…

Lindsay Carter (09-07-2022)
Old 09-07-2022, 03:35 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Found this picture for the temperature sensor:

Lindsay Carter (09-07-2022)
Old 09-07-2022, 05:12 AM
Lindsay Carter
2nd Gear
Think I got it figured out. B. Should be the fender scuttle light (duh) and C. Is the ac condenser. I'll know as soon as I'm off work. Also thanks @njaremka for the photo, it's a little different on the jcw but I found where it slides in. I ran the car for about 20 minutes yesterday, and I think my oil return line is leaking a bit. But not enough to warrant tearing it all the way back down for now. I work for a transit agency, and will have the fleet shop available to me once it starts snowing. Once the car is on 4 wheels I'll get some gopro footage posted to YouTube for sound clips and a review on the scorpion exhaust.

Old 09-07-2022, 08:35 PM
Lindsay Carter
2nd Gear
Got everything installed and back together. After a few pulls, the cold side pipe popped off, so I tighted the ever loving snot out of it and it's good now. However, it's making a strange(to me) whistle kind of noise and the bpv is releasing prematurely causing acceleration stutters. I imagine the new turbo is just hitting peak early. The boost gauge is reading 15.5 psi when this starts to happen. The banjo bolts are showing signs of leaking a little, so I'm going to replace the washers. Could that cause a strange noise? Or could it just be such a huge difference after adding the catless dp, all silicone hoses, new intercooler, and turbo? It's a pretty significant sound. I'm just worried lol

Old 09-08-2022, 03:55 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Turn off traction control, and take a few full throttle runs. The diverter valve will open when the TCS kicks in.

The noises and whistles could be from the new downpipe. Might just need to get used to them.

Will you be getting the car tuned for all the new performance goodies? @Lou@Prototype-R will make that thing a full beast!

Old 09-08-2022, 09:55 AM
Lindsay Carter
2nd Gear
Indeed! Lou and I have been in touch. Will be pulling the trigger on a tune in a few weeks. Got the obd tool already. So stoked. Just hope my turbo isn't already broken again. Especially because borg warner doesn't honor their warranty if the turbo wasn't installed by a "reputable mechanic." I'll record the noises and post the link here. Gonna have to be tomorrow, my lady took the car to work. Thanks for all your help bud. I really appreciate it. Side note, the noises kind of sound like tire squeal, but it's too consistent.

Old 09-19-2022, 03:07 PM
Lindsay Carter
2nd Gear
My feed line banjo bolt was broken, got a new one on, and that isn't leaking anymore, however i am still leaking oil, so im gonna be investigating the return line tomorrow. I think the noise I'm hearing is an exhaust manifold leak. However, after inspecting my old downpipe, I noticed that it still had the gasket that goes between it and the midpipe was still attached. Could that cause a similar noise?

Old 09-20-2022, 03:40 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Any exhaust leak could create a whistling. I might start by replacing the gasket at the downpipe to see if the noise changes. If not, check the turbo flange, then the manifold flanges.

Old 09-20-2022, 10:05 AM
Lindsay Carter
2nd Gear
Thanks man.

Old 09-20-2022, 11:48 AM
Diverkyle
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll be tackling the same job soon. I put a catless downpipe on due to a bad O2 sensor that I stripped while trying to get it off the OEM downpipe. My wastegate was extremely loose and had no power after all put back together. And the o-ring on my oil line gave out. So, ordered the Airwerks turbo and the kit. Its sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. New Timing chain, oil filter housing kit, intercooler and pipes are on the way. I figured while I had the front end apart, I would do it all. Excited about it, but not looking forward to it. Catch 22 right?