R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 Engine Malfunction Reduced Power

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 08:48 AM
Doctor Scott
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Malfunction Reduced Power

So I am constantly getting this on my 2014 JCW R60. I replaced the spark plugs, and that didn't solve my problem. I have taken it to several auto parts stores and no codes are being returned on the generic OBD2 scanners they hooked up to it. I'm not really interested in paying my dealer a $120 diagnostic fee. In fact, after being told that they initially wanted over $300 to replace the freaking spark plugs, I'm not really interested in going back there at all.

Before I spring for ignition coils that I'm not sure will solve my issue, has anyone had any luck in successfully pulling codes related to this engine alert (misfire??) with a scanner, and if so, what model? Thanks.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:13 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
ECS tuning sells a Schwaben scanner that handles MINI codes. Works great. However my son's Countryman gets the occasional warning with no codes.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 10:40 AM
2014 MC
3rd Gear
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
I had something similar however I was able to pull some generic communications codes still with my non-specialized MINI scanner. Took to dealer for them to give me a page full of their codes ($170) and they had no corrective action or plan to fix the issues and lights, etc. Just replace a MAP sensor because there was one code in there for such (which was attributed to a completely different root cause). Anyway, it was a real nightmare trying to figure out what was wrong and it ended up being an intermittent relay that gives power to the main computer (which caused) all sorts of issues including the reduced power, etc. All intermittently. I fixed it myself by swapping relay positions with a cooling fan circuit because they are the same relay (from some nice suggestions from great people on this forum) and the found root cause and corrected it for FREE.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:54 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Without knowing the codes you are just wasting money throwing parts at it. It is just a general warning that something wasn’t right, so it trips the limp mode. Unfortunately there are literally hundreds of reasons for it. From a bad coil to a bad turbo, or something electrical. You just can’t know, unless you have some VERY specific symptoms, what has caused it. Without the codes you are flying blind! Before I bought a Schwaben scan tool from ECS, I took mine into AutoZone to have the codes read, while actively in limp mode, and they had no codes.... took it to a shop and they found 6.
I can fully understand you not wanting to go back to the dealership. Not all of them are equal, that’s for sure. And if you aren’t ready to spring for a scan tool that will read them (they need the BMW software or whatever), or don’t know somebody who has one, try calling around to a few local BMW or Euro repair shops. A lot of them will read your codes for no charge.
If it was Me, I wouldn’t buy anymore parts, until you have an idea of what is even going on with it. You are likely to just replace perfectly good parts, and waste $$.
Good luck and keep us posted when you get the codes, then we can help

The following 2 users liked this post by MrGrumpy:
BeardedR60 (07-04-2019), ECSTuning (06-27-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 12:43 PM
BeardedR60
1st Gear
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Being on my 2nd countryman, this has happened to both cars. As MrGrumpy said, don't just throw parts at it.... unless you have the money to burn that is. lol

Are you going through more oil than usual?

BOTH of my countrymans ended up being a bad PCV valve. Cant just replace the valve though, as it is built into the valve cover. Gotta replace the whole cover at $300+ if you do it yourself. $700+ at the Mini Dealer.

A bad PCV wont always show obvious symptoms. Usually more oil consumption.... but if it goes on for too long, youll have this nice high-pitched screetchy whistly upon start up until you blip the throttle while its warm, and unstick the valve.

Edit: I only mention this, as an example as to what MrGrumpy said.... It could be anything. mine just happened to be the dreaded PCV on both cars. lol

Last edited by BeardedR60; 07-04-2019 at 12:55 PM. Reason: clarificaion
Old 07-09-2019, 11:13 AM
Doctor Scott
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I'm going to the dealer to pick up whatever codes they pulled from it. I tried a Carista first and I was getting 2C57s pretty repeatedly and occasionally 2C91 and 9C90. I have no idea what to do with it when I get it home.