R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 2017 Countryman More of a BMW?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 10:40 AM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
2017 Countryman More of a BMW?

I like how so many people are saying the new Countryman drives like a BMW. To me that's a bad thing, a Mini should have a rough go cart ride. You should feel every bump and crack on the road and feel like you're holding on for dear life when flying down the road. If these new Minis feel like BMWs then what's the point of getting a Mini? This may well be my last Countryman, if anything I would go back down to the two door hatch but even then that car is close to losing its Mini heritage too. Sad...

Old 04-19-2017, 01:44 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Not enough people feel as you to keep the lights on at MINI, that's why comfort rules.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:20 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Not enough people feel as you to keep the lights on at MINI, that's why comfort rules.
And I understand it, it's what people want. Just as with 1st Gen to the 2nd Gen there were haters but people always want a bigger car. It happens to all makes and models. A small nimble simple car always gives way to a larger heavier more complex car, it's the auto industry.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:46 PM
HamsterDR
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's what people want these days. This is our fourth MINI - my wife drove 2004 and 2008 Cooper S hard tops and we bought a Paceman S when I retired and we only needed one car. When I drove the new Countryman I was immediately attracted - because it drives like (better) than a BMW. (Better than the Infinity G37 I drove to work.) My immediate thought was: this is a real car now. My wife loved the small size and ignored the rough ride and didn't care about the "go cart" handling. I drove them occasionally and that was fun (loved the supercharger sound in the 2004) but we lived in LA and the roads were so bad it was punishing most of the time. You had to get out of the city to have any fun. Plus, both the 2004 and 2008 had lots of problems. (The Paceman had no problems at all.). The new Countryman is so much smoother and has a beautiful interior - and retains just enough of the kookiness to stay interesting. The new car still handles nicely and has good turn in response. (My car has 19" wheels and 225/45 19 tires which helps handling at very little harm (if any) to the ride.). You can also switch to Sport mode that tightens everything up and even stiffens up the shocks about 10% - the difference is very noticeable. You can also get the Works package with more power, AWD and a stiffer suspension. So there is still options to restore more of the "go cart" mode if you want that. My wife still thinks it is too big but is getting used to it - and she likes the backup camera. And of course the Hard Tops are still available. My criticism has been that MINI has been building too many different models, not that they have gotten too big.

David

Old 04-20-2017, 04:26 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
I wouldn't say it drives exactly like a BMW; I've driven both the new X1 and the F60 and despite a similar platform, they still drive very different. F60 was much more engaging and fun to drive than the X1. The X1 had (more) power, acceleration, comfort, but it just wasn't any fun to drive. Proof that a car is much more than just engine and platform.

I personally, do not miss the teeth-shattering ride quality of my R60 and much prefer the smoothness of the 3rd gen cars. Still fun to drive for sure, just in a different way.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:53 PM
HamsterDR
2nd Gear
I have seen reviews that say it drives better than the X1. I'm not sure what is going on with the "ultimate driving machine". One of our HOA directors has an X1 and the MIN has a nicer interior too. Car and Driver had a review in which they said he 5 series was a nice luxury car - the Cady and MB got higher ratings because they drove better.

David

Old 04-21-2017, 05:35 AM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by siriuszero
I wouldn't say it drives exactly like a BMW; I've driven both the new X1 and the F60 and despite a similar platform, they still drive very different. F60 was much more engaging and fun to drive than the X1. The X1 had (more) power, acceleration, comfort, but it just wasn't any fun to drive. Proof that a car is much more than just engine and platform.

I personally, do not miss the teeth-shattering ride quality of my R60 and much prefer the smoothness of the 3rd gen cars. Still fun to drive for sure, just in a different way.
Thomas on Autogefühl said the EXACT same thing as you, when he just test-drove the JCW F60. Now, that's really comparing apples-to-apples!

Old 04-21-2017, 10:09 AM
HamsterDR
2nd Gear
BMW just released their financial results and said that sales were up for the X1 and the Series 5 (which Car and Driver said was a nice luxury car - but complained about the way it drove - they liked the Cadillac and MB better). So, clearly, the type of driving that MINI owners prize is not necessarily popular with other drivers. At least MINI still builds the hardtops and offers Works so you can still get the "go cart" ride (though, even that has been softened a bit over the years). That is the issue with the new Countryman - it has moved away from that driving experience - though I personally really like the new sport/comfort balance in the new car.

David

Old 04-21-2017, 11:57 AM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
The new F60 is still one of the sharpest crossovers available - it may be softer than the R60, but it's more livable.

I have an R53 and an F56 in the household, and I'd totally rock an F60 as a daily.

BRG, white roof, white stripes, a stick, and JCW interior please.