R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Wind noise with roof rack

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 04:52 AM
minijoopers
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wind noise with roof rack

Hey guys,
I have oem roof rack and i do hear some whistle when i drive.
I can deal with that.
But whenever i open the sunroof!
Its loud. I mean really loud.
Since the weather is getting better i wannna open the sunroof.
Is that normal?
And i did tried to put roofrack in right place. The measuring method and also rubber thing.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:42 AM
threar
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Noise off the OEM rack can be pretty normal (I had it on my previous MINI). If there's a fairing you can get for the OEM, I'd likely recommend it as that will cut down the noise. Sometimes there are games you can play by moving it forward or backwards, but with the racks I've had over the years that never quite worked 100%.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:23 AM
Rktcyntst
4th Gear
It's normal for any car with a rack and a moonroof. Once you open the roof, the laminar flow (smooth flow of air - well as smooth as it can be with the rack) is disrupted and becomes turbulent (buffeting & doesn't follow the lines of the car) resulting in more noise. Roof rack and quite are mutually exclusive of one another!

Have you considered a hitch rack?

Old 04-13-2012, 08:02 AM
tatacountry
3rd Gear
I get a little whistle from my OEM roof bars. Fortunately I don't have a sun roof

Old 04-13-2012, 08:13 AM
DR61
5th Gear
With my sunroof-less CMS I hear less wind noise than any other car with a rack that I have driven in the last 15 years (two Volvos and a VW with Thule and Yakima racks). This is with bars in the specified locations. Very pleased, but I will take them off after ski season to improve highway fuel economy.

I wonder if a fairing would reduce noise on a sunroof-equipped CM.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:14 AM
tatacountry
3rd Gear
I haven't seen a fairing for the OEM bars. Anyone?

Old 04-13-2012, 08:34 AM
coopers111
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tatacountry
I haven't seen a fairing for the OEM bars. Anyone?
I was thinking the same thing. I also have the whistle but somehow I feel that it is coming just from one side, I hear the whistle but just over the passenger side... Also, my front bar sits on top of the front sunroof, how do you put a fairing there?

Old 04-13-2012, 08:42 AM
tatacountry
3rd Gear
Those looking for a fairing *may* have luck with Inno. Someone just needs to take the proper measurements of the OEM roof bars, as described here:

http://www.orsracksdirect.com/inno-r...s-details.html

Old 04-13-2012, 11:13 AM
Bmtespar
3rd Gear
A few people mentioned in another post that removing the rubber strips from the bars cut out the whistling all together.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:03 PM
coopers111
2nd Gear
Those looking for a fairing *may* have luck with Inno. Someone just needs to take the proper measurements of the OEM roof bars, as described here:

http://www.orsracksdirect.com/inno-r...s-details.html
Guys, I found a video of the OEM Countryman Roof Rack that gives all of the measurements needed for the Inno fairing that tatacountry mentioned. Just thought I'd share.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:54 PM
4GAZM
5th Gear
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
I actually fixed the whistle! there is a small squarish hole in the part where the pull down tab inserts, this square hole is the reason you hear the whistle, the air rushes through it and creates the sound, next time you drive cover it up and the whistle goes away, well it did for mine anyway.

so now its actually nice a quiet except for just the rustling of the wind which is normal and doesn’t annoy. very easy fix.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:29 PM
tatacountry
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 4GAZM
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
I actually fixed the whistle! there is a small squarish hole in the part where the pull down tab inserts, this square hole is the reason you hear the whistle, the air rushes through it and creates the sound, next time you drive cover it up and the whistle goes away, well it did for mine anyway.

so now its actually nice a quiet except for just the rustling of the wind which is normal and doesn’t annoy. very easy fix.
Nice! What do u cover it with? Can u snap a pic so we know what hole?

Old 04-22-2012, 02:31 PM
walk0080
6th Gear
The front bar should have three little pieces of plastic stuck underneath. If they are missing there will be more noise. Also like others said, removing the plastic/rubber strips on the top might help. I find mine does not whistle at all but it was way to cold to test it out on the highway with the sunroof open last time it was installed!

Old 04-25-2012, 10:13 PM
Creakhead
2nd Gear
Nice! What do u cover it with? Can u snap a pic so we know what hole?
I'd also be interested to see what this spot looks like... Thanks!

Old 04-26-2012, 04:55 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
On my drive to work on this balmy 32'F morning…I opened the sunroof to the max and cruising on (I-84 east) set at my normal crusing speed of 80mph. Heard no whistleing…or other annoying noises other than wind noises. Probably could of engaged full flaps…slow rotate of the stick, lift shortly there after …wheels-up…..Sorry got carried away there

Old 01-25-2013, 02:47 PM
goj210
Neutral
Any one figure out what this hole looks like?

Any one figure out what this hole looks like?

Also by removing the rubber, do you mean the rubber on the top or the rubber wind deflector on the bottom.

Thanks!

Old 01-26-2013, 05:24 PM
Bmtespar
3rd Gear
Remove the rubber strips that insert into the bars on the top. They can easily be reinserted if you need to carry something up there. I tried to tape the holes on the underside of the bars near the locks and still had whistling. Removing the long rubber strips solved the problem.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:09 PM
AlexTaldren
1st Gear
I've been thinking about putting a roof rack on the one I just ordered, but when I placed the order, it said I couldn't add it because I had a spoiler.

Based on the installation video in this thread, I don't see any reason why you couldn't have a roof rack base AND a spoiler, but miniusa.com won't let you build one with both.

Is there something I'm missing?

Old 01-27-2013, 07:13 AM
FredoinSF
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexTaldren
I've been thinking about putting a roof rack on the one I just ordered, but when I placed the order, it said I couldn't add it because I had a spoiler.

Based on the installation video in this thread, I don't see any reason why you couldn't have a roof rack base AND a spoiler, but miniusa.com won't let you build one with both.

If you have the standard spoiler on top of the tailgate then it does not interfere. I have the NINI rack that i have used for bikes and no issues. Check out the picture thread. Lots of people with bikes, cargo boxes, kayaks, you name it.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:34 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AlexTaldren

I had a chat with my MA about this last weekend when I placed my order. We're not sure why the website won't let you do it, as there shouldn't be any interference from the spoiler. Since the base kit is a dealer ordered accessory, you could have the dealer order the base kit with the agreement that due to the message on the website you want to test fit it first and that if for some reason it doesn't fit that you won't purchase it... We're still a few months away from being ready to get the rails, but that was the deal I intend to cut with my dealer...

Old 02-03-2014, 10:27 AM
simpsoncan2
Neutral
Originally Posted by walk0080
The front bar should have three little pieces of plastic stuck underneath. If they are missing there will be more noise. Also like others said, removing the plastic/rubber strips on the top might help. I find mine does not whistle at all but it was way to cold to test it out on the highway with the sunroof open last time it was installed!
Does anyone have a lead on where I could buy replacement pieces or get measurements of the pieces as described above. My rack is missing them.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:40 AM
goj210
Neutral
FYI: Removing the rubber inserts on the top fixed my problem

Old 02-12-2014, 09:42 AM
simpsoncan2
Neutral
I removed the strips and it didn't silence the whistling.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:21 PM
TJANK
4th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by simpsoncan2
Does anyone have a lead on where I could buy replacement pieces or get measurements of the pieces as described above. My rack is missing them.

Here is a photo showing one of three plastic sound dampening pieces ONLY affixed to the front underside of the rail. Size is apprx 4 inches. The three were already affixed when I received them.

Attached Thumbnails Wind noise with roof rack-photo-rail.jpg   Wind noise with roof rack-photo-rule.jpg  

Last edited by TJANK; 02-12-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:25 PM
makaveliks
2nd Gear
I had the same type bars for our Clubman S we used to have. They can be put on and off so quick and easily it was more convenient for cleaning, sound, looks to just take them off them not in use. They can just go in the back of the car, or in your garage/house and get slapped on in no time when you need them. It's likely not very normal that you would need them when your out and about, and usually if you do need them it takes no time to put them on compared to loading your gear onto it. Then the noise issue does not exist. Even one time a week if say every Saturday you need them that's about 1-2 minutes work before you can load them up. Especially when it begins to warm up. Bug get loaded on those bars, and if there above your roof opening you will have bugs getting splattered and flung into the roof and inside the car FYI.

Quick Reply: R60 Wind noise with roof rack