R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Walk me back off the Runflat ledge

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 02:17 AM
dsleedesign
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you have the chance drive a cooper without RF..... you will change your tires immediately. I have a r55 and a r60 and both cars got new tires within a week of delivery.

you dont need a spare. you can buy a slime kit (~$60) on amazon and it will handle 90% of your tire issues. the same 90% if you had rf. a sidewall blowout will need to be towed with rf.

the ride on rfs .... well sucks.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:43 PM
soocy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by soocy
I just picked up my CountrymanS today and the finance gal was trying to sell me a protections plan for the run flats and rims which would have added almost $40 a month to my payment. I didn't do it. She told me that you can't patch a run flat tire, but now I am seeing that others have had them patched...so was I being sold something I really don't need? Can they really be patched?
Someone help me out here!! Can they really be patched?

Old 10-30-2011, 07:46 AM
FredoinSF
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
It depends on two things:
1. where the punture is
If the puncture is well towards the middle of the tread, it can be patched. anywhere close to the sidewall and most places won't patch them. This is not unique to runflats, but with runflats the yellow zone may become more subjective depending on the shop's appetite for the job.

2. The shop you take it to
Some places just have a policy that they will not patch runflats. I think it is because removing and reinstalling a runflat carries a much higher risk of damaging the rim and that is simply not an economically sound decision for a job people are used to paying $20 for. Call ahead if you can.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:51 AM
Cutelildevil666
2nd Gear
I thought the replacement cost on run-flats was crazy, then I looked at them on TireRack.com a couple of days ago and it's like $178 a tire for replacements (Pirellis). The non-RF was about that much. FYI!

Old 10-30-2011, 12:16 PM
chaswyck
5th Gear
Depends on which non-RF you're talking about. You can get very good non-RF tires from Tirerack for under $100 each. That's a difference on a set of over $300, more than enough to buy your slime kit (or temp spare from Outmotoring), you get the benefit of a smoother, quieter ride, longer tread life, and they can be repaired at any tire shop if necessary. Oh, and I don't have to buy that expensive tire insurance. Just my opinion, but I hate RF's! I would use non-RF's even if the pricing was reversed and I had to pay more for them! Even then, in the log run they would turn out to be cheaper because of the improved tread life. I'll be removing my RF's on my new MINI on the way home from the dealership when I pick it up.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:33 PM
friscobiscuit
2nd Gear
I'm not a fan of the runflats either, and the replacement price is ridiculous. I just don't understand the logic of replacing them right off the lot, when what everyone is saying is that they don't last very long anyway. I can put up with them until they wear out, and then replace them with whatever non-runflat I choose. The ride difference is not, in my opinion, as huge a difference as it is being portrayed. BUT, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and if you have the cash to throw away, go for it.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by friscobiscuit
I'm not a fan of the runflats either, and the replacement price is ridiculous. I just don't understand the logic of replacing them right off the lot, when what everyone is saying is that they don't last very long anyway. I can put up with them until they wear out, and then replace them with whatever non-runflat I choose. The ride difference is not, in my opinion, as huge a difference as it is being portrayed. BUT, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and if you have the cash to throw away, go for it.
Well you aren't throwing them out, you'll get a good value for them, especially if they are brand new.

Replacement cost isn't any different from an equivalent non RF tire

Old 11-02-2011, 03:44 PM
tornado
3rd Gear
I just picked up my CountrymanS today and the finance gal was trying to sell me a protections plan for the run flats and rims which would have added almost $40 a month to my payment. I didn't do it. She told me that you can't patch a run flat tire, but now I am seeing that others have had them patched...so was I being sold something I really don't need? Can they really be patched?

The concern with patching a runflat is that once it has been run with little/no air, the sidewalls are no longer 100%...they deteriorate rapidly...hence the "50 mile" & max speed limits when running flat. Just because you can technically fix the air leak with a patch, you don't rejuvenate the sidewall life. So, the next time it goes flat, you can't rely on another 50 mile rescue mode.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:46 PM
kgelner
4th Gear
I really like the run flats. Are they a bit harsher? Yes. But I am really into long road trips and I really like knowing I'll be able to get somewhere to change them.

If you are concerned about replacement of run flats if you have to drive on them flat (a valid concern) then get road hazard insurance for them - for my new tires from the dealer I got a road hazard insurance policy from Discount Tire for about $100, cheap as you'll have to replace them in pairs. I would also get a plug kit (not slime) since usually you get something like a screw, and a plug could hold air for a long time if needed.

The other nice thing about run flats is the 50 MPH/100 miles is a VERY conservative estimate of how far they can go. I had one flat tire I didn't notice for about 30 miles, during which I was going about 80MPh... obviously you wouldn't want to do that if you knew if was totally flat, but I feel like 60MPH is probably doable on a flat for quite a distance.

As long as you have air in the tires when you take it someplace they will repair it if they can. It's only when it comes to them flat they will not try to fix it.

I have also had a few tires (non-runflats) in the past that literally exploded into a million shards, so for me the other nice aspect of Runflats is that they simply will not do that.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:41 PM
selder
2nd Gear
Anecdotes are like opinions...everybody's got one and here's mine: the last flat tire I had on a car was, I think, in 1974. The tire was a bias ply recap. Of course I'm knocking on wood here.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:02 AM
Ronaldo
Neutral
All4 not here yet but have 110,000 miles on my AWD Sienna with 3 sets of Bridgestone RFT. No complaints. Get me thru plenty of Sierra snow quite well. Sienna not sporty driver but ride is plenty comfortable. I drive 'em hard, easily put on >300 miles on weekend up in mountains, & cruise fast on hwy. They don't qualify for M&S after about 30,000, & Toyota replaced first set free for that. I certainly will get RFT for All4.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:43 AM
fused
2nd Gear
I absolutely HATED mine! Hit a small pot hole and you feel like you lost some fillings in your teeth. Temps got below 40 and roads a little wet and a slight hill..they spun like I had 500HP and punched it... I was easy on it....

I replaced them two weeks ago with 4k miles on them, put on NON RFs and the car FINALLY drives like it should... Nice and sporty, not breaking lose when it gets slightly cold and wet and potholes don't send you back to the dentist...

I never had RFs before so I thought, lets see what they REALLY are like...
HATE THEM, HATE THEM...oh yeah and I HATE THEM!

Luckily I didn't do damage to the suspension as other's I've read about have....

RF tires = Flintstone ride....

I carry a full spare in the back for trips.... Slime for local... I'm good to go!

Old 11-26-2011, 04:36 PM
John Richard
3rd Gear
Yes, they definitely can be patched. Had one done on my car at $50 using a special plug that won't fail. And, yes, I think there must be a major profit built in to the protection plan. Would never get it. The chances of having a catastrophic failure of one of these tires doesn't justify the cost.

For me, the run flat issue is a love/hate relationship. My MA told me the car had to be returned to the dealer with only run flats when the lease expires. The bottom line is I'll keep the tires and replace with the same when the time comes. Expensive little devils that they are ($1200+).

Old 11-27-2011, 07:55 AM
Ronaldo
Neutral
Are the RFT only on 18 wheels? May run less harsh on 17 wheels!

Old 11-27-2011, 10:57 AM
glangford
6th Gear
Originally Posted by selder
Anecdotes are like opinions...everybody's got one and here's mine: the last flat tire I had on a car was, I think, in 1974. The tire was a bias ply recap. Of course I'm knocking on wood here.
When all the tornados and hail storms came through about everybody in the neighborhood got a new roof. I had to have about 6 tires patched, all due to roofing nails.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:05 AM
chaswyck
5th Gear
Originally Posted by John Richard
Yes, they definitely can be patched. Had one done on my car at $50 using a special plug that won't fail. And, yes, I think there must be a major profit built in to the protection plan. Would never get it. The chances of having a catastrophic failure of one of these tires doesn't justify the cost.

For me, the run flat issue is a love/hate relationship. My MA told me the car had to be returned to the dealer with only run flats when the lease expires. The bottom line is I'll keep the tires and replace with the same when the time comes. Expensive little devils that they are ($1200+).
I also have a lease and here's what I did. I have a new set of non-RF's in the garage for when my MCS arrives (next week!). I'm going to swap them out immediately and store the RF's. When the non-RF's have to be replaced or when the lease ends (whichever comes first) I'll put the RF's back on thew car and return it. This way, I get to ride on the non-RF's most or all of the time I have the car and I don't have to replace the expensive RF's at the end of the lease, saving at least $600 (difference between non--RF's and RF's). I figure I'm going to have to buy a set of tires so I might as well buy the cheaper ones now rather than the expensive ones later on.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:23 PM
BZCooper
1st Gear
I had the 18" Pirelli Cintaurato summer tire runflats on a 2011 Countryman, which had a recommended inflation of 35 or 36 lbs - they rode too hard but handled very well and if you had these and wanted a summer tire I would recommend swapping them asap for another brand, or a good summer tire like a Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. Now I have 17" all season Continental runflats on a 2012 Countryman, with recommended inflation of 32 lbs, and they are fantastic. They handle almost as well as the 18" sport tires, have a much better ride and can worry less about getting stuck (in the snow, and having a flat). I also think the 2012 suspension contributes to the better/quieter ride (see my other post on 2012 vs. 2011 Countryman).

Old 11-28-2011, 06:36 PM
cp3657197
2nd Gear
Smile

Originally Posted by tonepome
Twice now, I've come close to ordering a Countryman All4 but have stopped myself at the last moment both times thanks to the dreaded (to me) issue of runflat tires. Does anyone have anything nice -- or even mediocre -- to say about runflats? The comments I've seen on this forum don't seem to show them much love.

My concerns:

1. Reports of poor handling. (I haven't taken a long-enough test drive to have a point of view on this.)
2. Reports that, if you drive on a flat runflat for more than 50 feet or so, you're in the market for a new tire.
3. Reports that tire shops won't work on runflats, even if you do stop within 50 feet.
4. Worries about getting a flat on a coast-to-coast trip in the middle of eastern Colorado, with no spare. (Points added for middle of the night or middle of a blizzard.)
5. Sense that there is something philosophically (and ecologically and economically) wrong with buying a new, and not inexpensive, car and then immediately buying four, or five, new non-runflat tires to put on it. Not to mention what to do with the new runflats you've just taken off your new car.
6. Concern that, if you do buy the new tires and include a spare, you'll have to carry it on the roof. (Visions of 'Grapes of Wrath'.)
7. Concern that for low-mileage drivers like me (4-5K annually), waiting for the runflats to wear out before buying replacement tires will take years, years in which you'll fret about items 1-6 above.

Please, someone, show me the errors of my ways, tell me there's nothing to worry about, that you've driven on runflats for XX miles with no problems, or that there's an easy workaround, so I can stop obsessing and order the damn car.

Thanks.
Dude,

I've ordered and picked up my All4 CM w/ optional 18" Turbo Fan wheels, run-flats. Cool as u know what. On the 3rd of ownership, took it from Alexandria to Norfolk, Va on a rainy day and night at that. those run-flats handle very well. I was averaging over 75mph with them bad boys and felt comfortable, no worries...

The question is, do you really want one? If so, stop worrying about those non-sense thing...

Get one, motor on and you'll be rewarded to an motoring experience that's exclusively Mini...