R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Installing a Craven Speed Smartphone Mount question

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 08:23 AM
Mr Slice
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Installing a Craven Speed Smartphone Mount question

Today I installed the flexpod smartphone kit (with the scissor holder) in my 2012 Mini Countryman. All of Craven Speed's photos on their site show the bracket that attaches to the Tach swooping down and off to the side on a R56. However, on the Countryman (R60) the tach sits further nested back into the dash, and seems to only allow the arm to be attached in such a fashion that it comes straight up and not out to one side or the other. My attempts to install it the way that they describe will not allow the tach to be reinstalled as it interferes with the dashboard.

Am I doing this right, or does the design of the Countryman only allow the install as I described (which is a MUCH less desirable install, aesthetically). I can still put the phone in the same position for viewing, but it just looks kind of ugly and not clean at all. I love the idea of the solution, I am hoping I am just doing something wrong here and overlooking the obvious.

Attached are some images to try to show you what I am talking about.

Attached Thumbnails Installing a Craven Speed Smartphone Mount question-photo-1.jpg   Installing a Craven Speed Smartphone Mount question-photo-2.jpg   Installing a Craven Speed Smartphone Mount question-photo-3.jpg  
Old 10-01-2011, 09:28 AM
ieandro
2nd Gear
I have a 2002 MCS, but I do have the scissor mount kit from CS.

I think you just answered your own question with the actual design from Mini.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:04 PM
WMW
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Inthink you have it installed wrong

The piece that is curved....the end should attach to the screw on the lower left ( as you are in car looking out "through" the tachometer ). The second hole in the curved piece would attach on the upper right hole. And then the straight piece attaches to the hole on the end that is now off the tachometer( this is the adjustment screw to adjust height). You have the curved piece going thorugh the red light on the top of the tach. It should exit to yhe right of red light when installed correctly. I returned my mount. I liked it but my phone...Droid X was too tall and really obscured my view of the windshield. I bought a Panavise mount which puts the phone to the right of the cd player. Hope I explained this clearly!

Old 10-02-2011, 09:42 PM
kgelner
4th Gear
You have the thing rotated too far up, instead of attaching the bottom of the mount to the left, put it on the right - here's my installation:

A few more pictures (including the view from the outside) here:

http://kigiphoto.smugmug.com/MINI/MI...643343_NLBFmvh

I really like this holder, the X design is firm and can hold a phone even through some rough times. You can adjust the phone up or down in the holder to suit you, unlike the fixed mount - or even put the phone in at a slight angle, the fixed holders keep it at one angle only.

For the cord I ran two 1.5' iPhone dock extension cords from the base USB Y-Adaptor, under the floormat and up behind the accelerator pedal to go in behind the steering column. When I'm not in the car I can tuck away the cable so it's not a thief magnet (and I did in fact recently have a TomTom iPhone cradle stolen so I am careful on that point now). I will probably replace that with a 3' cord though, as Connected works through this cable only about half the time (though audio always works).

Old 10-03-2011, 01:55 AM
aforalbert2002
1st Gear
u put it wrong way that y it go straight up

Old 10-03-2011, 03:36 AM
Mr Slice
1st Gear
Kgelner-
Thanks for taking the time to post that. It should have been painfully obvious to me now that I see your pictures. I just installed it the correct way.