R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 Are White Turn Signals Really White?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 09:11 PM
Rktcyntst
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are White Turn Signals Really White?

I've looked a bit and can't seem to find the answer. For the 'white turn signal' option, is the bulb also clear, or just the body of the turn signal?

On the configurator, when this option is selected, the amber lights are replace with white lights as depicted in the attached photo.

Aside from folks that do a mod, I don't think I've seen lights like that in the configurator. Thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails Are White Turn Signals Really White?-white.jpg  
Old 09-28-2011, 09:22 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 220 Likes on 184 Posts
I think the bulb is also clear, but I haven't seen it in person yet.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:30 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its deceiving, its still an amber bulb. You can change out to chrome bulbs or paint them silver, then they don't look amber until the are blinking, then they are amber.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:32 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
heres some examples. I believe the white turn signal option takes away an amber cover over the bulb. I saw a cm without the option in a showroom and it looked terrible.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...eadlights.html

Old 09-28-2011, 09:34 PM
Rktcyntst
4th Gear
@chrunck - That's what I thought. Then I got a pic of my CM that made it to my dealer today, and the bulb appears amber. Haven't seen it myself yet. I'm hoping that the answer is that the white turn signals have an amber bulb so at least I can rest easy knowing that my options are intact, otherwise I'm concerned that my order omitted these and perhaps other options I wanted!

I wonder what one does when this occurs? Reorder and endure a wait again? Raise heck and insist on $$ back? Other? Hmmmm - hope I don't need to find out.

Sidebar - looks like we rode down the production line together and went cruising on Toscana!! I wouldn't be surprised if they were also carrier-mates doing the western tour! I'll be picking up this Saturday - the date I predicted about 2 months ago!! Enjoy your ride when you get her!

Old 09-28-2011, 09:36 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
here is one without the option. also note that the side scuttle is amber.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...cs-inside.html

Old 09-28-2011, 09:36 PM
Rktcyntst
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mojito
its deceiving, its still an amber bulb. You can change out to chrome bulbs or paint them silver, then they don't look amber until the are blinking, then they are amber.
Thank you!! Now I still have faith that what I ordered is actually on my car!

Old 09-28-2011, 09:39 PM
Rktcyntst
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mojito
here is one without the option. also note that the side scuttle is amber.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...cs-inside.html
Yikes!! Not a fan of the safety orange side markers. Thanks again. I think the keyword I should have searched for is apparently "deyolked!" Clever!

Old 09-28-2011, 09:58 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
The picture you attached from the configurator is misleading. It shows a clear lens with a chromed bulb. What you actually get with the option is a regular amber bulb (non-chromed). The dealer sells a chromed bulb separately but it isn't included with the option.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:11 PM
Rktcyntst
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
The picture you attached from the configurator is misleading. It shows a clear lens with a chromed bulb. What you actually get with the option is a regular amber bulb (non-chromed). The dealer sells a chromed bulb separately but it isn't included with the option.

Thanks! Maybe I'll play dumb and pull this picture up on my phone when I pick up my car this weekend and ask why doesn't my car's turn signals don't look like this picture?

In all honestly, I was thinking I was going to get what was in the picture. At least I know now that I can change it.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:03 AM
MI MINI S
3rd Gear
Try, www.autolumination.com for chromed bulbs...great fast service
and good prices.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:35 AM
tippykayak
5th Gear
Definitely play dumb. The configurator truly is misleading. You're going to get a survey after sale, and one of things it will measure is your trust in your dealer, so definitely use terms like "misleading," and "it's not very satisfying, that...." etc. Normally, I would say it was unethical to play on their customer satisfaction survey for benefits, but in this situation, the configurator is truly misleading.

I have "white" turn signals, but amber bulbs. There's a lot less amber than the non-white turn signal, but if you're hoping for a total "deyolking," that's not what you're getting.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:00 PM
Wilde Maus
2nd Gear
I've had the same problem with my new 2012 Mini. The configurator was totally misleading and made me think that I get a white bulb and not amber.

When I picked up my car last weekend I almost fainted. There was the amber bulb. Grrr. I was so pissed.

I immediately told my MA and he just played dumb and said that he has never seen any cars with a white bulb. I did look around the lot at other Minis and most of them had the amber bulb. I also thought that the factory forgot to install them but he showed me the paperwork that clearly states "white turn signals".

I am ordering the chrome bulbs: http://coopersport.com/elements/prod...s/1.htm?veh=56

and switching them out myself, even so the service guy at the dealership said that it's illegal to change the amber bulb. I seriously doubt that a cop would stop me because I don't have the amber bulb.

Last edited by Wilde Maus; 09-29-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:29 PM
ghamma
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Wilde Maus
...I immediately told my MA and he just played dumb and said that he has never seen any cars with a white bulb. I did look around the lot at other Minis and most of them had the amber bulb. I also thought that the factory forgot to install them but he showed me the paperwork that clearly states "white turn signals".
the service guy at the dealership said that it's illegal to change the amber bulb. I seriously doubt that a cop would stop me because I don't have the amber bulb.
California Vehicle Code:
"Any turn signal system used to give a signal of intention to turn right or left shall project a flashing white or amber light visible to the front..."

Old 09-29-2011, 02:49 PM
Tacoman03
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tippykayak
Definitely play dumb. The configurator truly is misleading. You're going to get a survey after sale, and one of things it will measure is your trust in your dealer, so definitely use terms like "misleading," and "it's not very satisfying, that...." etc. Normally, I would say it was unethical to play on their customer satisfaction survey for benefits, but in this situation, the configurator is truly misleading.

I have "white" turn signals, but amber bulbs. There's a lot less amber than the non-white turn signal, but if you're hoping for a total "deyolking," that's not what you're getting.
I ordered the white turn signal option earlier this year, to find that the side scuttle light lense cap is the only difference, not the bulb itself. I have since changed out the front turn signal bulbs with silver painted ones i got off ebay.
Now, does anyone know the bulb size and where to get the white bulbs for the side scuttle lights?
Check out the pic for the changeed look...

Last edited by Tacoman03; 02-14-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:26 PM
Wilde Maus
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Tacoman03
Now, does anyone know the bulb size and where to get the white bulbs for the side scuttle lights?
Check out the pic for the changeed look...

You can order them from the link I posted. They have the scuttle lights as well. One size for all. $15 for the pair.

Last edited by Wilde Maus; 09-29-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:30 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacoman03
I ordered the white turn signal option earlier this year, to find that the side scuttle light lense cap is the only difference, not the bulb itself.
To be precise, actually both the lens and bulb are different. The standard light has an amber lens with clear bulb. The white turn signal option has a clear/white lens with amber bulb.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:23 AM
Wilde Maus
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ghamma
California Vehicle Code:
"Any turn signal system used to give a signal of intention to turn right or left shall project a flashing white or amber light visible to the front..."

Thank you ghamma. So the "white" light is perfectly fine then.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:27 AM
Wilde Maus
2nd Gear
Anyone know how to change the bulb in the scuttle light?

Old 09-30-2011, 10:27 AM
Kay Gee
2nd Gear
IIRC, the white bulbes are housed in an amber case, the amber bulbs are housed in a white case.

My MINI came with the amber bulbs, so I changed them out to the "Stealth Bulbs" and was able to de-yolk my headlamps and side indicators

Old 09-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Wilde Maus
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Kay Gee
IIRC, the white bulbes are housed in an amber case, the amber bulbs are housed in a white case.

My MINI came with the amber bulbs, so I changed them out to the "Stealth Bulbs" and was able to de-yolk my headlamps and side indicators

De-yolk. LOL. I am gonna use that from now on too. I desperately need to De-yolk mine. Already ordered my bulbs.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:05 AM
Wilde Maus
2nd Gear
Ooops, I just realized that I am in the Countryman forum. I guess it doesn't matter.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:06 AM
Kay Gee
2nd Gear
also, you will find that your unexplained craving for Fried Eggs will subside...

Old 09-30-2011, 11:06 AM
Kay Gee
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Wilde Maus
Ooops, I just realized that I am in the Countryman forum. I guess it doesn't matter.
i won't tell anyone

Old 09-30-2011, 11:12 AM
Wilde Maus
2nd Gear
@Kay Gee Thanks.

I found this reg. replacing the side scuttle lights. It's for JCW, but I have a feeling it's probably the same for all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RMaXP6D5bw

Quick Reply: R60 Are White Turn Signals Really White?