R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Ok, 2 weeks of ownership and first problem.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 04:04 PM
BocaTiger
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, 2 weeks of ownership and first problem.

The chrome 'tape' is coming off by the front AND rear window. Jeez....

Old 07-17-2011, 04:23 PM
mrk5n
3rd Gear
Old 07-17-2011, 04:50 PM
BocaTiger
2nd Gear
A little disheartening really. As a long-time BMW family, we went with MINI for better overall quality. Only two weeks and the 'chrome trim' coming apart is not a good start to my entry into the brand.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:59 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Yeah, even the pre-production model I saw 6 months before they hit the lots had peelng chrome on back belt line near boot.

Maybe time for a belt line black out kit ?

Old 07-17-2011, 05:01 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Originally Posted by BocaTiger
A little disheartening really. As a long-time BMW family, we went with MINI for better overall quality. Only two weeks and the 'chrome trim' coming apart is not a good start to my entry into the brand.
Most of the BMW AWD's are at least $15K more than a Countryman I think.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:24 PM
BocaTiger
2nd Gear
My wife picked the Countryman since she wanted decent fuel mileage and is not found of the newer BMW 3-series (5 series too big). We did not get the All4 since no real need in Florida.

Bottom line they need to fix it and do it right. $34k is a lot to pay for 'Kia-like' materials. Chrome tape? Seriously....they couldn't even use chrome plastic??

Old 07-18-2011, 04:58 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Your N12 engine is a really nice set up....Hopefully easy cosmetic fixes are all that will be in store for the R60.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:02 AM
rfg123
2nd Gear
Can anyone confirm a a fix to the chrome tape issue on 2012 prduction models?

Old 07-18-2011, 06:05 AM
buddy lee
3rd Gear
Hey Boca-

I'm in Florida too, I'm guessing you got yours in Lauderdale?

I got mine on 7/2, and it had the chrome issue upon delivery. Because I did research here on NAM before I bought, I knew going in that this issue was possible/probable. Also according to others here on NAM, there is a fix in the works for this problem.

Welcome to the MINI club. As I've told everyone here and in person who has asked me, if you want reliability you buy a Lexus. If you want the personality and driving experience of MINI, you only get it by having a MINI (trust me, I went from an 03 MCS to a Mustang GT and right back to a CMS).

That being said, yes it's a problem that shouldn't have happened but they will make it right eventually. And also, as a first year model, this kind of stuff does pop up from time to time...

Edit- on the scale of things that COULD go wrong, peeling chrome tape is way, way down the list...

Old 07-18-2011, 06:22 AM
Eclipseon
1st Gear
Hmmm..."Kia-like." New WOTD!!! Though the current Kias do not seem too bad.

And I'm sorry about the problems that you're facing with the chrome taping. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for my car; hopefully nothing will happen More than likely, the problem should have an easy fix!

Old 07-18-2011, 06:44 AM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
Most of the BMW AWD's are at least $15K more than a Countryman I think.
Actually more like just under $9K, compared to an X3 or 328ix.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:23 AM
BocaTiger
2nd Gear
Don't get me wrong, I really like the car (wife is out of town, so have been driving it in place of my M3)! I totally understand issues with the first year of a new model.

Was just ticked about the tape thing less than a month in, that's all. I HOPE that's my biggest issue! Cheers all!

Old 07-18-2011, 07:43 AM
buddy lee
3rd Gear
Don't get me wrong, I really like the car (wife is out of town, so have been driving it in place of my M3)! I totally understand issues with the first year of a new model.

Was just ticked about the tape thing less than a month in, that's all. I HOPE that's my biggest issue! Cheers all!
Yeah I hope that's all I run into as well

But that's what the warranty is for, it just sucks that you have to take time out of your life to get it taken care of. Time = money

Old 07-18-2011, 07:49 AM
miniwpbear
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I take two issues with the chrome problem.

First, this is not a first year kink. It was Mini going on the cheap trying to save a dime. All the earlier models with the same chrome trim look did not have a problem.

Second, many people live far away from a Mini dealer which creates a big time commitment; not counting the gas spent, to get this resolved.

For the trouble caused, a complimentary oil change should be provided at the time the replacement chrome is installed!

Old 07-18-2011, 07:55 AM
NavyET
2nd Gear
I have already had the back three pieces replaced and one is coming up again after only a week. I am going to write to MINIUSA and demand a recall for this as I have heard others have done.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:30 AM
BocaTiger
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by buddy lee
Hey Boca-

I'm in Florida too, I'm guessing you got yours in Lauderdale?

I got mine on 7/2, and it had the chrome issue upon delivery. Because I did research here on NAM before I bought, I knew going in that this issue was possible/probable. Also according to others here on NAM, there is a fix in the works for this problem.

Welcome to the MINI club. As I've told everyone here and in person who has asked me, if you want reliability you buy a Lexus. If you want the personality and driving experience of MINI, you only get it by having a MINI (trust me, I went from an 03 MCS to a Mustang GT and right back to a CMS).

That being said, yes it's a problem that shouldn't have happened but they will make it right eventually. And also, as a first year model, this kind of stuff does pop up from time to time...

Edit- on the scale of things that COULD go wrong, peeling chrome tape is way, way down the list...
Got it at Vista BMW/MINI in Coconut Creek. A good dealer and Giorgio, our MINI sales guy was really great! The trim thing is not his fault.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:14 PM
BocaTiger
2nd Gear
Not to belabor the point, but jsut tried to schedule a fix on the chrome tape and was told the 'replacement parts' have been delayed for 30 days. Meaning, they are still 'working' on a permanent fix and don't have it yet. Ugh....

Old 07-18-2011, 01:08 PM
guerreroandante
1st Gear
well well, mine is 5 days old and already have the chrome peeling in the back. It is going to be a pain. Hope MINI get it right

Old 07-18-2011, 03:59 PM
minicmsall4
2nd Gear
Just wanted to share, the Chrome on my MB S class which sells for over $100K had its Chrome pieces peeling at some point. I've never got it fix and now it seems to be fine. don't know why??

The rear chrome pcs of my mini looked a little loss but i don't think it will peel off. I found this problem when I was installing my boot stripes but the rest looks find. I'd try pulling and its attached pretty tight.

Among the productions I would say that my car was among the first few hundred in production, the car was custom ordered last year and came in as the first batch of arrival. So far haven't had any safety problem.

Well: Another well know problems would the front passenger window not opening completely. Preparing to bring this in for a check.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:45 AM
bunhud
1st Gear
I am another Countryman owner who has just discovered her "chrome" trim flapping in the breeze. Have been told that there is no fix for this, currently, as they, the dealer, are not allowed to order any parts, right now. They are assuming that it is so MINI can address the fix, properly. In the meantime, we are all left with this embarrassment. :( I can't tell you how many ppl/friends sort of gave me a hard time about the price of this car and, now, to have them see this is downright a misery I did not see coming.
If anyone comes up with a temporary fix that doesn't involve blacking out the trim, please contact me at paisleyskies@hotmail.com. My car is the coffee brown with white roof and chrome mirrors. The blacking out option would look pretty bad imo.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:51 AM
camminich
5th Gear
Is this only affecting people with the chrome kit, or it more of random occurance that can hit anyone?

Old 09-06-2011, 10:54 AM
bunhud
1st Gear
Originally Posted by camminich
Is this only affecting people with the chrome kit, or it more of random occurance that can hit anyone?
I don't believe this is an option. I think this is the standard trim. The trim in question is the narrow strip of "chrome" that runs around the entire vehicle, just under the windows, above the metal portions of the car.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Karrock
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Also keep in mind that the Countryman is contract-manufactured at Magna Steyr in Austria and not assembled in-house by a MINI or BMW factory.

For what it's worth, I've had my Countryman since March and the only issues I've experienced is the sunroof drain flap rattle and a couple incidents of throttle response stuttering.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:35 PM
runningman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Karrock
Also keep in mind that the Countryman is contract-manufactured at Magna Steyr in Austria and not assembled in-house by a MINI or BMW factory.

For what it's worth, I've had my Countryman since March and the only issues I've experienced is the sunroof drain flap rattle and a couple incidents of throttle response stuttering.

Hey Karrock

Totally unrelated question to the thread topic.....

I am ordering a CM with the same color scheme as yours Cosmic Blue and Black and I saw you have the bonnet stripes.

I was originally going to go with stripes but I was wondering if the Blue is just too dark for the stripes to show?

I looked at your gallery and its hard to tell from the pics...

Part of the problem is I haven't seen the color "in real life" it was about the only color CM my MINI dealer didn't have on the lot and of course the one I wanted

Thanks

Old 09-06-2011, 02:42 PM
less2
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by camminich
I was at the dealer last week and three of the R60's chrome was peeling. And the MA had no idea when the fix would be available. My CMS was blacked out before the issue was even known, guess I dodged a bullet. To the folks who are peeling don't be discourage MINI will make it right. Its a pain in the you know what, but all will work out.

Quick Reply: R60 Ok, 2 weeks of ownership and first problem.