Drivetrain ECU Tune - Best Mod Yet? Yup!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 10:36 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
Yeah he said no it's gonna be okay. You'll have lower end power no issue.
Nice. I'm guessing my Akrapovic DP will be a non-issue. I'm liking the sound of BrenTuning if everything you say is true.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:40 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ehh, I don't know or I'm not quite sure about the DP. But he didn't mention anything really about it. Let me know if you can't get ahold of him, I will call for you to ask.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:38 PM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
First post, great site.

I just spent the last 3 hours going through this thread....good stuff. Just wondering if anyone is running the NM ecu tune with the NM hi-flow intake kit? Or does anyone have any opinions on running them together? I realize the intake won't offer much from a power standpoint, just curious what people think.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:16 AM
MikeHancho
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my CM tuned by Luis @ PAW in Miami, by far the best upgrade money can buy. Speaking from experience, don't waste money on other upgrades until you drive the car with the tune. That being said, with all of the upgrades I've done, my CM is now a monster! 212whp on the dyno!
Upcoming JCW turbo upgrade and tyrolsport intercooler

Old 04-04-2013, 07:38 AM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeHancho
Got my CM tuned by Luis @ PAW in Miami, by far the best upgrade money can buy. Speaking from experience, don't waste money on other upgrades until you drive the car with the tune. That being said, with all of the upgrades I've done, my CM is now a monster! 212whp on the dyno!
are you aware that Hujan has put together a tyrolsport intercooler group buy? 10% off i think it is

scott

Old 04-04-2013, 09:05 AM
MikeHancho
1st Gear
Thanks for the intercooler info. Actually been in contact with him and on the list to purchase. Was hoping for a Forge, but they still don't have a FMIC that will fit a R60s clean.
What are your thoughts on the coating offered?

Old 04-04-2013, 09:07 AM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Thanks for the intercooler info. Actually been in contact with him and on the list to purchase. Was hoping for a Forge, but they still don't have a FMIC that will fit a R60s clean.
What are your thoughts on the coating offered?
i am going to pass on the coating

scott

Old 04-15-2013, 08:46 PM
SFWD 1934
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Jaremy Cheetwood
has anyone even talked to these guys?

no offense, just cause they might be able to do obd2 tunes, doesnt mean they are any good. I think we all need to recognize not all tunes and tuners are the same and just cause someone says they can tune something doesnt mean its a good tune or even a safe tune. I have seen this all over the evo/subie forums kids getting jank tunes or trying to tune themselves and BOOM.

So to sum it up, just be careful and make sure these people know what they are doing, you are trusting a huge investment to a no name company with no footprint in the business.

caution.
I shot these guys an email earlier today asking some info on the tuner setup that they have. It is done in conjunction with RaceChip. It is essentially a piggyback setup that intercepts the signal on the upper and lower side of the charge pipe from what I was told. You cannot flash anything yourself. If you want you can relate it to a box tuner from say Edge or similar for the gas trucks. I also asked if there was any logging capabilities, and was told that there is none that were disclosed to the best of his knowledge. I was very much hoping for something that I can get access to the fuel, timing, boost, WGDC, etc tables. But I guess that is not going to happen. I also asked if the tuner had the capability to tune out or "uncheck" a CEL code so that it will not cause the CEL to illuminate. That is not available either. He let me know that there is a Y connector off the DLC (OBD port) that hooks up the tuner. It will work with the auto transmission he stated. He gave me numbers of +21HP in full auto, and +29HP in sport shift, or manual paddle mode.

Jason

Old 04-15-2013, 09:45 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was thinking of getting a tune from them. Are they able to tune my ECU, I'm not gonna make that drive for the dyno haha.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:41 PM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SFWD 1934
I shot these guys an email earlier today asking some info on the tuner setup that they have. It is done in conjunction with RaceChip. It is essentially a piggyback setup that intercepts the signal on the upper and lower side of the charge pipe from what I was told.

Jason
I truly believe a "piggyback" is the way to go for the n18. It's surprising to me that no tuners (that I'm aware of) have gone this route. I've actually been in contact with one in California, and they are "looking into it".

Old 04-16-2013, 03:59 PM
Jaremy Cheetwood
3rd Gear
Cause piggy backs arent always a great idea.

And theirs sounds sketchy the way you described it.

335I guys have had some issues with piggy backs.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:07 PM
SFWD 1934
1st Gear
Yes I agree. I am not a huge fan of piggyback systems. I have not used them since 1998 when some of the Honda/Acura cars would run VTEC/Fuel controllers.

From my understanding there is a lot of the ECU that cannot be unlocked to allow a "flash able" setup.

Jason

Old 04-16-2013, 08:08 PM
normtrum
3rd Gear
There have definitely been a lot of piggyback discussions on other sites.....especially in the 335/135/535 arena. And I also agree it can be a risky thing....in the hands of a tuner that doesn't know what they're doing. I have no idea who the guys are that were referenced above, I just think piggybacks would be a viable option for someone who knows what they're doing.

I've had a PB on my e90 335 for almost 6 years now.....incredible gains and never an issue.....other then the fact my dealer " red flagged" my warranty. I never needed to use my warranty, so it was never an issue.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:50 PM
SFWD 1934
1st Gear
I just would prefer to have more control over things that a piggyback is not capable of. Now with that said, I am not in the business of decoding, and trying to get into the coding of the ECU, so I understand that what there is, is what there is. Also, I do not care what type of tuning solution you have, it always comes down to make sure your tuner does what is best for YOU! I have been tuning cars/trucks/motorcycles since 1996.

I have heard of the so called "red flagged" warranty from people on other platforms. But I have talked to service advisors that I know, and they said that there is not some database that they put notes like that in. I guess take that with a grain of salt, as you know as soon as you alter something there is always that chance the dealer will not honor warranty.

Jason

Old 04-16-2013, 09:02 PM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SFWD 1934

I have heard of the so called "red flagged" warranty from people on other platforms. But I have talked to service advisors that I know, and they said that there is not some database that they put notes like that in. I guess take that with a grain of salt, as you know as soon as you alter something there is always that chance the dealer will not honor warranty.

Jason
100% agree. Interesting point on the "red flag" comment. This info was given to me verbally by the service manager....but to be honest I really don't have a clue if anything showed up flagging me in their system. Sounds like he was just trying to scare me out of modding!

Old 04-16-2013, 09:05 PM
SFWD 1934
1st Gear
That is usually the job of the service manager. Sometimes you will find a dealer with a pretty decent service manager. It is a tad easier with a different platform where there are a number of different dealers. The Mini is a little bit tougher I would guess due to not as many dealers.

Jason

Old 07-31-2013, 11:07 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Has anyone heard any new info concerning Countryman/Paceman tunes for 2013 model ECU's? I contacted Jerry at NM with this question recently and he replied that mid August they should be capable of tuning these ECUs. Not sure if that was just his standard reply but I've known Jerry to be a pretty stand up guy in the business so my fingers are crossed.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:33 AM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
Following this thread is your best bet: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...n18-minis.html

I haven't see anything new on NM. Most of the latest posts are about a piggyback that actually works from Burger Tuning. Lots of info in the thread above.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:48 PM
onequi
1st Gear
My friend had his JCW countryman tune at Precision Auto Werks in Miami last week. And my friends 2013 GP was also tuned at PAW motorsport. Owner name Luis, and they can actually do it in house or you can mail in computer and they do the tune for you.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:52 AM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Thanks for the heads up guys. I haven't been keeping up with the N18 tuning thread for some time. Looks like I've missed a lot.

Old 01-05-2020, 06:06 PM
Zeppie
2nd Gear
Hi everyone! I have enjoyed reading this old thread about ECU tuning for the R56s and R60s. I am new to the R56 world as I have just got my very first JCW 6 months ago. Its is a 2012 with very low miles, under 25,000, manual, and 100% stock. I realized soon afterwards that I have the N14 engine. I would like to find a safe and modest tune for it. Unfortunately, NM will no longer do ECU tunes, they only will do the NM modules for N18s. Talking with NM, they told me that the tech who would work on your ECU has retired. They no longer offer that service. I also talked with Detroit Tuned. For their tune they wanted me to get rid of my catalytic and add a straight down pipe. I will have to admit that I am not a fan of that idea. I liked NM's performance numbers, reliability, and positive feed back from others that have had his tune put on their MINI's ECU. I am looking for the same for my JCW while keeping my catalytic converter. I have recently purchased a Wagner Intercooler to complement an ECU tune. Unfortunately a lot of time has passed from when this thread was started and a long with it, many of the tuning greats that would work on the N14 engines. I am asking for help. I live in Wisconsin so I would need to ship my ECU out. Is there anyone out there that still tunes N14 ECUs that will give you safe power gains that also work with a catalytic converter?

Thank you

Old 01-06-2020, 01:18 PM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Zeppie
Hi everyone! I have enjoyed reading this old thread about ECU tuning for the R56s and R60s. I am new to the R56 world as I have just got my very first JCW 6 months ago. Its is a 2012 with very low miles, under 25,000, manual, and 100% stock. I realized soon afterwards that I have the N14 engine. I would like to find a safe and modest tune for it. Unfortunately, NM will no longer do ECU tunes, they only will do the NM modules for N18s. Talking with NM, they told me that the tech who would work on your ECU has retired. They no longer offer that service. I also talked with Detroit Tuned. For their tune they wanted me to get rid of my catalytic and add a straight down pipe. I will have to admit that I am not a fan of that idea. I liked NM's performance numbers, reliability, and positive feed back from others that have had his tune put on their MINI's ECU. I am looking for the same for my JCW while keeping my catalytic converter. I have recently purchased a Wagner Intercooler to complement an ECU tune. Unfortunately a lot of time has passed from when this thread was started and a long with it, many of the tuning greats that would work on the N14 engines. I am asking for help. I live in Wisconsin so I would need to ship my ECU out. Is there anyone out there that still tunes N14 ECUs that will give you safe power gains that also work with a catalytic converter?

Thank you
We can tune it without the downpipe, but you can only do stage 1. To go to stage 2 you really need an intercooler and the downpipe. But we can tune it to whatever mods you would like. We just let you know that you can not turn up the boost as much as you would like with the cat in place. And really a tune is designed to make a car faster by adding boost (as well as other things) so we make sure you know all the in's and out's.

Old 01-06-2020, 03:24 PM
Zeppie
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Detroit Tuned
We can tune it without the downpipe, but you can only do stage 1. To go to stage 2 you really need an intercooler and the downpipe. But we can tune it to whatever mods you would like. We just let you know that you can not turn up the boost as much as you would like with the cat in place. And really a tune is designed to make a car faster by adding boost (as well as other things) so we make sure you know all the in's and out's.
Thank you for clarifying. I appreciate the input! I am only looking for an additional 25~30hp and 30~35 foot pounds of torque. Would a stage1 tune be able to give me this?

Thank you again

Old 01-07-2020, 01:10 PM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Zeppie
Thank you for clarifying. I appreciate the input! I am only looking for an additional 25~30hp and 30~35 foot pounds of torque. Would a stage1 tune be able to give me this?

Thank you again
No stage 1 will not get that much HP as the cat can not flow that much HP.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:43 PM
SunBird
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Hi, jumping in on this out of curiosity... downpipes, cats, stages...
How does a Stage 2 work in California? What mods are needed for a Stage 2? R60 Countryman S All4
Thank you!