R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) MINI Roadster (R59) discussion

R59 Car/Options List question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 08:20 AM
Rich B.
4th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Car/Options List question.

Hey all....I've just noticed something about my build sheet info, obtained from the "Owners' Lounge", and what I am seeing on my car? The build sheet states the interior as "Leather Lounge, Championship Red". My Lounge Leather seats are black with red welting and my upholstered door and dash accent panels are red (see pic). Do you think my car originally had red seats too? Another thing, when I searched "Mini/Lounge Leather Seating" on Google, the photos show some of the front seats as having sewn in pleats in the butt area which match the stitching on the seat back. The photos are of both left hand and right hand drive Minis. At some point did Mini delete...or add...these pleats to the lower seat cushion? My car is low mileage (14k) and the drivers seat bottom is already showing a loosening of the leather...which is weird looking. Is it possible the pleats were designed to prevent this from happening. Any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails Car/Options List question.-100_9778.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
blue al (08-06-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 02:25 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
It's so hard to tell because there are so many different combinations, you'll be lucky if an other roadster owner will have your interior (unless it's the more popular options).

What I do know for sure is that MINI makes adjustments over the course of the MINI yours offering. We had ordered the MINI yours white seat with the black strip in the middle. Originally those seats had side walls with a pattern on it. It was for my wife and she liked it a lot. When we received the car, the patterned was not there. That's because MINI has a tendency to simplify its offering has the car range ages. They start with something snazzy to attract. Then when cost is better understood, or the popularity increases or decreases, and they make some small modifications to simplify production. I didn't mind because the seat are less feminism that way and I do drive the mini often. But my wife wasn't to thrilled about what happened since she specifically asked the question at the time of order. But in the end we worked out a deal with the dealership on a second set of wheels for the summer, and with free mounting and balancing.

Long story short. Adjustments to the decoration changes from production year to year...

Old 07-19-2018, 05:13 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
All of the lounge leather seats I've seen in the past had the white piping, so maybe the championship red is just referring to your piping. The seat bottoms with the full pleats are European cars that don't require passenger occupancy sensors in the seat cushion. The pleats interfere with the sensor so the US and Canada got the partial pleats.

Old 07-20-2018, 04:28 AM
Rich B.
4th Gear
Good points. Never thought about the pleats interfering with the sensors. Gosh, lots of cars/trucks have plush, pleated seats including our Ford SUV. Wonder why BMW couldn't get them to work in this car without having to produce two upholstery designs?

Old 07-20-2018, 04:43 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Our MINI yours has black piping. I don't see how the color would affect sensors any differently.
Now the pleats I can appreciate more so. I didn't realize that and found images of our satellite gray mini yours seat that shows exactly that pleat distinction. Interesting...

Old 08-03-2018, 02:01 PM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Put the last 7 of your VIN into http://bimmer.work and it should show an interior representation of your car.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:53 AM
Rich B.
4th Gear
The site, for some reason, will not accept my VIN. Keep getting the message "something is wrong" even after going thru the proof many times. T432595 are the last seven. Let me know if you have better luck. Thanks!

Old 08-06-2018, 08:39 PM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich B.
The site, for some reason, will not accept my VIN. Keep getting the message "something is wrong" even after going thru the proof many times. T432595 are the last seven. Let me know if you have better luck. Thanks!
Looks like there's something wrong with the back end they all use. Try again in a day or so.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:23 PM
blue al
4th Gear
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Just pulled my seats to replace with reacaro ones, I'm in England so have the "correct seats" with pleated bases
black with red piping, but called red on the build sheet ?
mine was a very early build, my seats have less than 5k I have no reason to believe they have been changed out prior as I am the 1st Customer after BMW to own this car

Last edited by blue al; 08-06-2018 at 09:36 PM. Reason: September 2011 built jcw r59
Old 08-08-2018, 06:08 AM
Rich B.
4th Gear
Gentlemen, thank you for the info. I find it very interesting that Mini would designate black leather seats with red piping as, "Leather Lounge, Championship Red". Maybe all of the 2013 JCW R59's with lounge leather seating got black seats with only the color of the piping to be determined by whomever was ordering the car. We're any other (other than black) lounge leather seat colors offered for the JCW Roadsters in 2013?

Old 12-20-2018, 06:39 PM
Michael Jessop
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW VIN Decoder not working for me. :/

Old 02-16-2019, 09:06 PM
JustinGTP
5th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
The factory code is the not what they were called in marketing terms. You have the championship lounge leather seats that are black with red piping. That's what they look like on any JCW mini. I have them in my Paceman too. They were never red .You also have the chilli red interior pack whereas I have the piano black interior