R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) MINI Roadster (R59) discussion

R59 R59 known issues

Old 03-29-2018, 06:55 PM
minidd99
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad to hear minimal problems. Sweet looking ride.

Old 04-07-2018, 02:17 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So 47k miles and 4 years, and so far not too many issues.
The inside rattling are fairly minor.
The biggest issue is that winter knock sound when driving over rough pavement, or turning in our driveway where the left and right tires might move more independently.

I can't believe it's still winter like at this time of year... But I soon as I feel good about putting the true summer tires back on, I'll be checking this out.
I'm only frustrated with it because the first time I mentioned it, the shop didn't find anything. The car was under warranty. Now it's not, and it's gotten worse, meaning not as mush cold temperature driven.

There's no knocking sound on a smooth, straight road, so I'm thinking rather then tie rods, maybe end links. Or maybe be prematurely worn out bushing...
I'll see if I can track it down when lifting the car. This things are sometime hard to spot because it's hard to put much stress on joints or bushings once the car is up in the air, to simulate the knocking sound...

But overall it's been a good car thus far!

Old 04-11-2018, 08:23 PM
dube53
5th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by TG. View Post
So 47k miles and 4 years, and so far not too many issues.
The inside rattling are fairly minor.
The biggest issue is that winter knock sound when driving over rough pavement, or turning in our driveway where the left and right tires might move more independently.

I can't believe it's still winter like at this time of year... But I soon as I feel good about putting the true summer tires back on, I'll be checking this out.
I'm only frustrated with it because the first time I mentioned it, the shop didn't find anything. The car was under warranty. Now it's not, and it's gotten worse, meaning not as mush cold temperature driven.

There's no knocking sound on a smooth, straight road, so I'm thinking rather then tie rods, maybe end links. Or maybe be prematurely worn out bushing...
I'll see if I can track it down when lifting the car. This things are sometime hard to spot because it's hard to put much stress on joints or bushings once the car is up in the air, to simulate the knocking sound...

But overall it's been a good car thus far!
43K here still under warranty until 07/18 ....... R58 JCW with N18 engine. Regular maintenance and no problem to report.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:06 AM
Rich B.
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
We recently purchased a low mileage, 2013 R59. When I first spotted this thread I got concerned...but after reading through the problems owners are experiencing I was relieved to see that there really isn't that much here to complain about...especially compared to some other cars I've owned.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:00 PM
Claviger
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Small thread necro...

2014 S Auto

Bought 7/17 at 7,500 miles
Now at 35,500 miles

Replaced MAF (killed with K&N filter).
Replaced front pads with HP+ (was at about 1/2 life on OEMs)
Replaced tires at 30,000 (probably 4-5k overdue, murdered them autoXing)
Replaced windshield after a fist sized rock introduced itself
Replaced driver's side glass after a different fist sized rock introduced itself on the freeway and shattered the window

All in all, I'm very happy with the car, no maintenance required that resulted from a part failure that wasn't caused by external factors.

Cars had decat DP since 8,200 miles.
JMTC S42 now has about 3,000 miles.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (01-29-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 08:36 AM
Miata13
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And Now at 46k Miles..nearing Warranty End

Our '15 Roadster S just passed 46k miles. Since its second MTTS trip last summer, we just had the battery replaced under warranty. Other than that and a couple of plastic trim pieces being replaced, it's been a great vehicle. Perhaps the key is it's the last model year and it has received more frequent fluid (oil, brake, ATF) changes, frequent soft top cleaning/treatments and always a good protective coat of wax. The xPel front hood/bumper and side mirror paint protective film have kept it looking fine.
Our warranty "matures" next month so it'll get a fresh oil change and thorough going over before it expires. Happy Motoring to All!

Old 03-19-2019, 12:08 PM
Rich B.
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Miata13 View Post
Our '15 Roadster S just passed 46k miles. Since its second MTTS trip last summer, we just had the battery replaced under warranty. Other than that and a couple of plastic trim pieces being replaced, it's been a great vehicle. Perhaps the key is it's the last model year and it has received more frequent fluid (oil, brake, ATF) changes, frequent soft top cleaning/treatments and always a good protective coat of wax. The xPel front hood/bumper and side mirror paint protective film have kept it looking fine.
Our warranty "matures" next month so it'll get a fresh oil change and thorough going over before it expires. Happy Motoring to All!
Miata 13? I'm thinking you owned a 2013 Miata before this Mini. How would you compare one against the other...best points and worst points? Also, please share what product you use for soft top treatment. Thanks.
Rich