R59 Front End Protection?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 07:44 AM
Telly
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front End Protection?

Greetings, All-
I've had my 2013 R59 since a motorcycle accident last August left me without a "wind in my thinning hair" experience; absolutely love it!

We're taking a trip (the trip that started last year and resulted in totalled bike) into Canada this summer. In washing the Roadster, I've noticed that I already have a couple of stone chips on the front bumper, and I don't want to get any more. I've searched the Interwebs for a bra for the Roadster and there are none available (don't really like the idea of grit getting underneath it, either). Is there any alternative form of protection that any of you have used? I know 3M makes some sort of film...anybody use it?

Thanks!

Old 05-29-2014, 11:43 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Clear Bra. Used on all kinds of cars. The stuff they use now doesn't have any of the issues the old stuff used to have. No issues with yellowing and if you get it done by someone who is really good at what they do you can't tell it's there. Our car has it on the front bumper and halfway up the hood, the side mirrors, a strip on the leading edge of the roof and some other small places around the car. The mini we had done by a guy who does excellent work. My STI had it done by just a regular tint shop and it wasn't nearly as good.

My recommendation is to figure out where all the guys take their exotics (ferraris, lambos, porsche, etc) and go there. Either look around on forums or call up the dealerships and they probably have someone they can recommend.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:55 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
Old 05-30-2014, 03:21 AM
Telly
Neutral
Thanks for the advice, I'll be looking into finding a clear bra installer around here.

Cheers.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:20 AM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clear Bra

Yes, I was told the same thing. So after purchasing my S Coupe I went with the clear bra. I think it is made by 3M called XPEL?

The guy does only Porsche here and stays busy with the dealerships but has his own garage. A small neat place and did a really good job. They did the hood, top of roof line by windshield, mirrors, inside door handles, door edges, top of bumper where hatch opens. Even all those places in front bumper and air holes and around fog lights too.

I am not disappointed. They did clear bra over my hood stripes as I had no choice. I think it is good for at least 5 years. Not sure but I rarely park outside, car is in garage at home and parking deck at work so only sun is while driving.

I can't see it. Some will tell you what to use or not to use. Me, all I have used to date it Griots Speed Shine. Spray on car and wipe off and water will bead like crazy. Lazy man's wax job.

Been almost a year now, no issues, no fading, no peeling, no problems. And without it I am sure the front would be all chipped up like my previous cars.

Not sure how long I can leave it on. Maybe will have it checked at 7 years? Or research at that time. I am sure I can't leave it on for 10+ years but maybe?

If they remove it might pull the Stripes, but I could de-stripe car and be fine. Car is black but not left in sun so fade should be minimal.

They still make custom old fashioned bras but they should not be on the car wet. Have to be removed, cleaned or machine washed. OK, for a trip but not 100% use. Dirt gets underneath and that is still an issue. I think I have heard Colgan is the best for those. Might have been an option if I drive only in town and use that with out of state trips only.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:55 AM
Telly
Neutral
Just found an installer outside of Madison, WI; pictures of your installs look great. I'm psyched about this.

What a damn fun car to drive!

Old 05-30-2014, 05:33 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Boy, I just painted a few very small paint chips tonight after only 10 month of ownership. I tell you, my other car is a Volvo and the paint puts the MINI paint to shame by a long long mile. MINI paint seems to chip SOooo easily. It's very thin and very hard which is unfortunately a bad combination...

I'm so torn about what to do myself. On one hand I really don't like the clear bra line that is created and the glossy loss. I know most would think that's nothing but I have such a keen eye for that sort of thing that it might drive me crazy
On the other hand if it keeps chipping like this the car is going to look awful way too soon! Sigh . . . dilemma dilemma . . .

Last edited by TG.; 05-30-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:03 PM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TG.
Boy, I just painted a few very small paint chips tonight after only 10 month of ownership. I tell you, my other car is a Volvo and the paint puts the MINI paint to shame by a long long mile. MINI paint seems to chip SOooo easily. It's very thin and very hard which is unfortunately a bad combination...
NO KIDDING, TG! BUSTER will be 1 year old tomorrow and the durability of the MINI's paint leaves something to be desired. You're correct, it seems too thin, too fragile and chips easily.

I'm so torn about what to do myself. On one hand I really don't like the clear bra line that is created and the glossy loss. I know most would think that's nothing but I have such a keen eye for that sort of thing that it might drive me crazy
On the other hand if it keeps chipping like this the car is going to look awful way too soon! Sigh . . . dilemma dilemma . . .
I'm looking into the Xpel product right now. I'm a bit tired of this slave relationship I've developed with my Midnight Black paint finish.

You don't have to worry about the "line" issue you described, TG. Xpel, for example, has a full clear bra for the MINI Roadster (the whole hood). I'm looking into the whole hood and lower front shirt.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:50 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mr. T
I'm looking into the Xpel product right now. I'm a bit tired of this slave relationship I've developed with my Midnight Black paint finish.

You don't have to worry about the "line" issue you described, TG. Xpel, for example, has a full clear bra for the MINI Roadster (the whole hood). I'm looking into the whole hood and lower front shirt.
Hmm, that is interesting. But I'd have to say goodbye to waxing and polishing for the pleasure of the hyper gloss... I also wish they made 2"x2" samples so I could apply it and see what the finish looks like.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:44 AM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Xpel

When I had mine done they did the whole hood so there are no lines or breaks to see.

I really have a hard time seeing it. It works. Much better to look at than paint that has been chipped, especially on a black car.

They did put a strip across the roof and even there it is hard to see. Flying stones will have a hard time finding an unprotected place to land.

It can always be removed. But when that time comes I will have a professional deal with it same shop. I don't think I have found any post yet where someone regretted having it installed on their car.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:55 AM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TG.
Hmm, that is interesting. But I'd have to say goodbye to waxing and polishing for the pleasure of the hyper gloss... I also wish they made 2"x2" samples so I could apply it and see what the finish looks like.
Watch this and you'll get over it.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:02 AM
TG.
6th Gear
Yes, I've seen the video. It's pretty cool...

I bought some small pieces of 3M scotchgard film for door edges.
Does someone now if XPEL is similar, identical, or very different material?

Old 05-31-2014, 11:37 AM
Telly
Neutral
Thanks for the replies everyone; more research based on your recommendations has led me to an XPEL installer outside of Madison. Car is going in on 16th, and I'll get it the next evening...takes two days to do the whole front end, plus an additional strip on top of the rear bumper.

The installer has done both the 3M and the XPEL products, and is now only doing XPEL based on consumer demand in the area, and what the dealerships are asking to be applied.

Looking forward to this.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:19 PM
TG.
6th Gear
It sounds like i'm going to look into this more closely. So I know how much the material cost for XPEl site. Roughly $800 for the full hood, mirrors, and bumper. But how much will it cost in labor on top of that?

Old 05-31-2014, 05:25 PM
Telly
Neutral
For materials (including the strip on the top of the rear bumper, along with the front bumper, hood, mirrors, door edge guards), prep, and all labor, I was quoted $860.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:05 PM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TG.
It sounds like i'm going to look into this more closely. So I know how much the material cost for XPEl site. Roughly $800 for the full hood, mirrors, and bumper. But how much will it cost in labor on top of that?
It will probably be about $12,000 I can image it would be worth the work being done and the headache it will ultimately save. I'm waiting for a quote from a local installer. I'll let you know what they quote me, TG.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:15 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Telly
For materials (including the strip on the top of the rear bumper, along with the front bumper, hood, mirrors, door edge guards), prep, and all labor, I was quoted $860.
That's not so bad I guess... I wish all this was a little less expensive I must say
They're doing the full hood of your car, not just the bra right? I noticed the cost varies quite a bit between the two...

It will probably be about $12,000 I can image it would be worth the work being done and the headache it will ultimately save. I'm waiting for a quote from a local installer. I'll let you know what they quote me, TG.
Thanks, that would be great!

Old 06-25-2014, 10:01 AM
Telly
Neutral
Originally Posted by TG.
That's not so bad I guess... I wish all this was a little less expensive I must say
They're doing the full hood of your car, not just the bra right? I noticed the cost varies quite a bit between the two...
XPEL report: Mabel was in the shop for a full two days. Full front bumper, mirrors, and a strip across the top of the back bumper; front two-thirds of the hood only. Headlights, too.

Looks absolutely fantastic; if you're looking to do this and are anywhere near Madison, WI, I highly recommend Tint Factory Motorsports. $940 for the whole works. I couldn't be happier!

Old 06-25-2014, 02:39 PM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Telly
XPEL report: Mabel was in the shop for a full two days. Full front bumper, mirrors, and a strip across the top of the back bumper; front two-thirds of the hood only. Headlights, too. Looks absolutely fantastic; if you're looking to do this and are anywhere near Madison, WI, I highly recommend Tint Factory Motorsports. $940 for the whole works. I couldn't be happier!
Telly's coverage and pricing seem to be very different then what I recently quoted here in Illinois. I was quoted $760 for Xpel on full hood, full lower bumper and side mirrors. The completion time is 4 hours.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:23 AM
Mr. T
6th Gear
BUSTER got the Xpel treatment Wednesday. Full hood, full lower front bumper and instead of the side mirrors (since I'm thinking about changing them), I went with the headlights. Those areas are now protected and it looks great.

Old 10-03-2014, 06:09 AM
TG.
6th Gear
Any chance we'd get hi-res pictures of panels and details?

Old 10-03-2014, 04:19 PM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TG.
Any chance we'd get hi-res pictures of panels and details?
If you're nice, TG.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:17 PM
TG.
6th Gear
If you're nice, TG.
I'm always nice . . .

Old 04-27-2015, 08:38 AM
Aubie
Neutral
3M product

I have had the 3M product on my 2008 BMW 335ic since the day after I picked up the car. The product has worked great. I do use Plexus spray on the 3M product in the spring to get the road salt film off the product.

Finding a great installer is absolutely the key. I have seen some absolute hack jobs out there.

From what I have read I will be using the newer product on my new mini.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:44 AM
Miata13
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Willis Auto Campus here in Des Moines, IA, did my xPel install.

Looks very professional to me...full disclosure, I work at this dealership but first time I've ever used the product on one of my cars....

http://willisaccessories.com/product...otection-film/

Certainly not inexpensive but I wish now I'd done it on my previous MX-5 Miata as its dark blue paint really shows the paint chips. Our Chili Red R59 has < 200 miles on it so it still looks fabulous

Quick Reply: R59 Front End Protection?