R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) MINI Roadster (R59) discussion

R59 Ringing the changes...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 12:54 PM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by spiney
Maybe we can do a "group buy" and get a few sets chromed up?
I had originally contacted A.P.C. Chrome Plating in Palatine, Illinois because they work with chrome plating plastic. Unfortunately, the are not doing any plating on plastics at this time. The gentleman I was speaking with referred me to N.P.C. (National Plating Corporation) in Cleveland, Ohio for this type work. I just left a voice message asking them to return my call about plastic chrome plating. We'll see what comes of it. I assume you're interested, spiney.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:16 PM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. T
I had originally contacted A.P.C. Chrome Plating in Palatine, Illinois because they work with chrome plating plastic. Unfortunately, the are not doing any plating on plastics at this time. The gentleman I was speaking with referred me to N.P.C. (National Plating Corporation) in Cleveland, Ohio for this type work. I just left a voice message asking them to return my call about plastic chrome plating. We'll see what comes of it. I assume you're interested, spiney.
If the price is reasonable I'm in. The ducts themselves are about $20 each in black.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:42 PM
Mr. T
6th Gear
If the price is reasonable I'm in. The ducts themselves are about $20 each in black.
I'll let you know as soon as I hear something back from them.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:08 AM
spiney
6th Gear
There's always this stuff:
available here.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:21 PM
spiney
6th Gear
Tried the chrome grille, and it didn't fit. You can go here for more details.

I'm not actually that disappointed now I've seen it, it doesn't quite work:

I'll look at other grille options if I can find any, but this option is off the table now.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:35 PM
spiney
6th Gear
Well, all that grilling yesterday got me enthused to put the chrome hood scoop on. Really easy, would have been 15 minutes if I hadn't got the underbonnet insulation fitted which needed to be removed. There's one plastic body clip in the centre of the scoop to remove from underneath, other than that it just pulls up. The chrome one has a captive nut in that position, so to refit I just used a small machine screw, no idea what size.

Here are a couple of shots:

Really happy, it looks fabulous. I have a touchup kit coming, and once I find a bra installer I'll touchup the stone chips, then it's de-stripe time.

Last edited by spiney; 03-16-2014 at 01:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dantastic (03-28-2020)
Old 03-16-2014, 05:54 PM
Mr. T
6th Gear
This looks great, spiney. After revisiting the pic with the Justa grill, I must say it really didn't fit the feel of your Roadster. I think the chrome scoop looks fantastic. I also think that chrome brake ducts could really finish off this look.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:50 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Well, all that grilling yesterday got me enthused to put the chrome hood scoop on. Really easy, would have been 15 minutes if I hadn't got the underbonnet insulation fitted which needed to be removed. There's one plastic body clip in the centre of the scoop to remove from underneath, other than that it just pulls up. The chrome one has a captive nut in that position, so to refit I just used a small machine screw, no idea what size.

Here are a couple of shots:

Really happy, it looks fabulous. I have a touchup kit coming, and once I find a bra installer I'll touchup the stone chips, then it's de-stripe time.

Looks good. Glad you got it on and it fits.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-19-2014, 08:13 AM
spiney
6th Gear
This is what I decided to do for a grille, from Zunsport in the UK (see here). It comes with a lower section as well, but I'm not sure if I'm going to use that. This is photo-edit, real thing shows up in a few days:

Old 03-19-2014, 11:22 AM
Mr. T
6th Gear
This is what I decided to do for a grille, from Zunsport in the UK (see here). It comes with a lower section as well, but I'm not sure if I'm going to use that. This is photo-edit, real thing shows up in a few days:
It looks great, spiney! I would still be interested in seeing what the JCW standard grill looks like chromed. This has definitely given the chrome theme interest.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:28 AM
Mr. T
6th Gear
I have one question, spiney, is this grill a complete replacement or does it fit over the existing grill?

Old 03-19-2014, 12:05 PM
spiney
6th Gear
I have one question, spiney, is this grill a complete replacement or does it fit over the existing grill?
It fits over the existing. Depending on how it looks close-up I might get a spare grille from MINI and cut the centre out and see if it looks better.

The upper and lower together was about $160 shipped from the UK, so it's not the end of the world if I end up not liking it, I'm sure I can sell it on.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:30 PM
spiney
6th Gear
Here we are with upper and lower photo-edited in. The lower isn't as good an edit as I had to try to compensate for the original picture having a European front plate. I like it, I need to see it for real to be sure though...

Last edited by spiney; 03-19-2014 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Spelling, as always...
Old 03-19-2014, 02:42 PM
jkapinos
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had a grill just like this one, for about a year now. Got it from M7 but it is made by Grillcraft.

Name:  null-14.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  217.2 KB

Old 03-19-2014, 04:25 PM
spiney
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jkapinos
I've had a grill just like this one, for about a year now. Got it from M7 but it is made by Grillcraft.
That one looks great. Is it a replacement, or does it fit on top of the existing one?

Old 03-19-2014, 04:31 PM
jkapinos
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That one looks great. Is it a replacement, or does it fit on top of the existing one?
You have to cut out your stock grill and then dremel flat the edges. The new one then mounts to your old grill frame with a few screws. Not that hard to do, and not to expensive to fix if you mess up. Once the hood is closed it looks great. But the new metal grill is alittle flatter then the stock one. So when you open the hood it doesn't follow the frame exactly. Overall I like it.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:16 PM
Mr. T
6th Gear
It fits over the existing. Depending on how it looks close-up I might get a spare grille from MINI and cut the centre out and see if it looks better.

The upper and lower together was about $160 shipped from the UK, so it's not the end of the world if I end up not liking it, I'm sure I can sell it on.
I think this will look fantastic on your Roadster, spiney. I can't wait to see it installed. I'll be waiting for the reveal.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:02 PM
Mr. T
6th Gear
You might want to check this out, if you haven't already, spiney.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:16 AM
spiney
6th Gear
You might want to check this out, if you haven't already, spiney.
Thanks for that! I'm even more surprised at the reasonable price now if that's the sort of care they take.

They were super-helpful in the process too, I was back and forth on email with Peter there several times to make sure I was getting the right product, and they shipped within an hour of my order! Can't recommend them highly enough so far. It's already in Newark NJ, having been to France on the way here, so I may have it tomorrow... Pics to follow, of course.

I also got my paint touchup kit yesterday, so it's all coming together. All I need now is a recommendation for a clear bra installer, and some warm weather to get the GP2 diffuser on.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:26 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I think there's a certain amount of 'tradition' with the stripes. However, both look nice. Either way you can't make a mistake.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:12 PM
Mr. T
6th Gear
I'm looking forward to your pics, spiney.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:21 PM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Old 03-25-2014, 06:02 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Patience...
Should have them on this weekend.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:59 AM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Patience...
Should have them on this weekend.
Did you get them yet and if so, how was the quality?

Old 03-25-2014, 07:23 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Did you get them yet and if so, how was the quality?
I got them, and they look really good. Very well constructed, and a great shiny stainless finish. I didn't get time at the weekend to fit them, and I'm busy with work this week. Also, I'm going to get the clear bra on the bumper as well so I want to get that on first.

Quick Reply: R59 Ringing the changes...