R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) MINI Roadster (R59) discussion

R59 Anyone seen another Roadster on the road yet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 09:32 PM
Card
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finally had my first roadster siting when visiting Portland this weekend. I have to admit I did snap a picture of it and wanted to wait around for the owner to come back. Mine is a still about a month away, so it was great to see one.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:26 PM
minimaniacal
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Card
I finally had my first roadster siting when visiting Portland this weekend. I have to admit I did snap a picture of it and wanted to wait around for the owner to come back. Mine is a still about a month away, so it was great to see one.
Hey, just noticed your new signature, and we can commiserate with you! Watching the Faust (our Mini carrier) traverse the Atlantic, Panama Canal and Pacific was a fun but painfully slow and laborious time! Our experience:

Arrived on schedule Port Hueneme.

Processed through customs and VDC in 2 days.

Sat for 5+ days once released to the trucking company waiting to fill a carrier destined for our dealership. Dealerships have very little input in the schedules of the trucking company contracted to provide delivery, and apparently no sympathy for expectant owners strife. Almost no communication b/t trucking company and dealership.

Pippa was worth the wait.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:31 AM
Audiophile_Mark
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Card
Cool, post the picture if you can. I like seeing the R59 out and about, but other than mine I haven't come across one. The closest thing is ONE R58 in my town.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:34 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
There were a couple of others at MINIs On Top. I think one was a dealer car from MINI of Manhattan, and there was at least one other with a regular owner. I didn't get chance to talk to the driver. Still no sightings on the "real" roads around here.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:52 AM
noreen99
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw your pepper white roadster today
L.I.E. westbound.
Love it enjoy

Old 07-10-2012, 03:23 PM
MY4thMINI
6th Gear
Ok, I am convinced there are no roadsters in Cleveland. I think very few were sold. I know of 4. ( the ones i have seen at the dealer ) but i am going on 4 Months and still have not seen any on the road.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:46 PM
dillo99
2nd Gear
I have watched the road between Syracuse NY and Buffalo NY (I travel the thruway a lot) and have seen ZERO roadsters!

Old 07-10-2012, 04:57 PM
minimaniacal
1st Gear
Saw our first roadster Saturday at a MINI meetup breakfast. The couple brought her from Missouri when they moved here a couple months ago. That is our first and only sighting thus far. Not surprising though I suppose. We found stats online that suggest U.S. sales of roadsters from Feb-June are only about 990.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:06 PM
Judscoop
1st Gear
I have one in Madison

I'm not alone...I have seen others but I don't know who you are!

Come on...fess up!

Mine is Midnight black with black rims, silver stripes and chilli red mirror caps...perhaps you've seen me?

Old 07-10-2012, 05:59 PM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Judscoop
Mine is Midnight black with black rims, silver stripes and chilli red mirror caps...perhaps you've seen me?
You should post some pictures so that everyone knows what they are looking for!

Old 07-10-2012, 07:49 PM
Audiophile_Mark
2nd Gear
Yes, pics please. Other than ONE brand new one at a dealer I have not seen any on the road. I have gotten some good looks and waves from other MINI owners though.

According to BimmerFile, they have sold a whopping 990.

I don't know if that data represents what the dealer has purchased or what actual owner's have purchased. If it is the former then the number on the road would of course be even smaller.

Last edited by Audiophile_Mark; 07-10-2012 at 07:53 PM. Reason: oops grammar
Old 08-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Liquid
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Just got back from being in San Diego for 6 days, including one day I drove all the way to LA and Back....and I didn't see a single Roadster. Lots of MINIs...even a few Countrymans, but no Coupe or Roadsters at all. My wife and I were talking about how we figured we'd see a few....and wished I had my JCW R59 out there to sport around in. :-)

Old 08-08-2012, 07:56 PM
minimaniacal
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Liquid
Just got back from being in San Diego for 6 days, including one day I drove all the way to LA and Back....and I didn't see a single Roadster. Lots of MINIs...even a few Countrymans, but no Coupe or Roadsters at all. My wife and I were talking about how we figured we'd see a few....and wished I had my JCW R59 out there to sport around in. :-)
Liquid,
we live in San Diego and have put over 4200 miles on her driving around San Diego, LA and the surrounding areas and have yet to see a single Roadster driving on the roads with us! (Not including the 3 privately owned Roadsters we saw in Mini Takes The States, nor the one other roadster we know of in San Diego who we met its owners at a local MINI club breakfast). The only actual Roadster we have seen driving was in Palm Springs. I hunted the guy down the street as my husband sat waiting to order dinner at a restaurant! So our local count in San Diego and LA so far is: No R59's and only 3 R58's.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:45 PM
noreen99
4th Gear
Question

Originally Posted by dillo99
I have watched the road between Syracuse NY and Buffalo NY (I travel the thruway a lot) and have seen ZERO roadsters!
Was that your car I saw? We waved thumbs up ect.
The driver was female.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:45 AM
Retired Rev
4th Gear
Saw a black one on US19 in Clearwater the day I ordered mine in June. Haven't seen another one since.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:23 AM
white3
4th Gear
I just saw my first two roadsters (both sitting on the dealers lot). They looked great, but at $41,000 for one of them, and $45,000 for the next, I can see why they are still on the lot. That's a lot of money for a convert that doesn't even have a lined top. I know MINIs are great cars, but I'm wondering if the price is getting a little out of line?

Old 08-09-2012, 09:33 AM
Liquid
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by minimaniacal
Liquid,
we live in San Diego and have put over 4200 miles on her driving around San Diego, LA and the surrounding areas and have yet to see a single Roadster driving on the roads with us! (Not including the 3 privately owned Roadsters we saw in Mini Takes The States, nor the one other roadster we know of in San Diego who we met its owners at a local MINI club breakfast). The only actual Roadster we have seen driving was in Palm Springs. I hunted the guy down the street as my husband sat waiting to order dinner at a restaurant! So our local count in San Diego and LA so far is: No R59's and only 3 R58's.
Too bad we didn't see it, would of made the vacation that much better! I will say, the wife and I are a little jealous to not live there....we concluded that San Diego would be the perfect place for a Roadster :-)

Old 08-09-2012, 09:55 AM
Mindphunk
1st Gear
Originally Posted by white3
I just saw my first two roadsters (both sitting on the dealers lot). They looked great, but at $41,000 for one of them, and $45,000 for the next, I can see why they are still on the lot. That's a lot of money for a convert that doesn't even have a lined top. I know MINIs are great cars, but I'm wondering if the price is getting a little out of line?
I paid just a little less for a new s2000 in 2007 and it didn't have a lined top either. It was also very spartan in the interior and had the worst stock stereo I have ever seen any car. I think the mini's price is right on target considering the car and some of the refinements.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:42 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
At MITM '12 this past week, the R59 seemed to be ubiquitous. Many more than I had anticipated.

The mountain weather was absolutely perfect for topless motoring too.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:24 PM
Retired Rev
4th Gear
Originally Posted by white3
I don't know if it the dealers or MINIUSA that puts those big ticket models out on the showroom floor. Seems silly to me. You can get a basic S delivered for less than $30,000.00, a Justa roadster for for under $27,000.00. That is less than anything else out there. Sure, if you are of a mind you can load up a JCW and hit the $45,000.00 mark. I will agree that the top ought to have a thin layer of soundproofing fabric bonded to the ragtop. Knowing MINI, it will probably be a $250.00 option someday.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:28 PM
MY4thMINI
6th Gear
Florida vacation

I just spent a week in Fort Lauderdale. I saw tons and tons of MINI Coopers on the road, but have not seen a single roadster. There was one on the lot at MINI of Fort Lauderdale . I figured sunny Florida would be the place to see them.

Last edited by MY4thMINI; 08-31-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:01 PM
DaKirb
1st Gear
Saw a black JCW Roadster with red sport stripes on the way in to work yesterday. I think I was drooling.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:22 PM
Xit
Neutral
To all you lucky roadster owners, Hi.

I have seen one on I10 just a couple days ago with the rear spoiler deployed. What a sight for sore eyes, there she was the Mini Roadster, so much better then looking at all the same old mundane cars.

Besides that one I was over to the Post Office to buy a few stamps and YUP! there she was all in her glory...

This was an S and I got to talk to her owner. She is a very happy girl with her sister, both beauties. LoL! There is only one way to top that. Do you all know what that is?

Ha, ha

-Xit

Old 08-09-2012, 07:08 PM
Audiophile_Mark
2nd Gear
Nice one of the first real sightings.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:45 PM
minimaniacal
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Liquid
Too bad we didn't see it, would of made the vacation that much better! I will say, the wife and I are a little jealous to not live there....we concluded that San Diego would be the perfect place for a Roadster :-)
That would have been great to see you! It's pretty exciting when you can see another roadster and share in the mutual admiration! And indeed, San Diego IS the perfect weather for one. Thus one of our biggest decisions to go with it. I must say that we have had Pippa's top down for less than 10 hours total of her 4200+ miles. That really speaks volumes to our climate, especially when it will likely be November before we ever have to start putting it up because of rain or really cold nights. Right now it only goes up if we have to drive in sizzling mid day sun on stop and go roads.

Quick Reply: R59 Anyone seen another Roadster on the road yet?