R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) MINI Roadster (R59) discussion

R59 MINI Roadster - What Did You Order?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 06:05 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MINI Roadster - What Did You Order?

I've ordered my Roadster from Ralph Schomp MINI on 01/10/12 and here are my specs:

2012 MINI Cooper S Roadster - Sheba (my midnight temptress)

Color
A94 Midnight Black Body Color

Packages
ZCW Cold Weather Package

Options
205_R56 6-Speed Automatic with Paddle Shifters
226 Sport Suspension
345 Chrome Line Interior
346 Chrome Line Exterior
387 Wind Deflector
3A2 Black Headlamp Housings
405 Chrome Mirror Caps
430 Auto Dimming Mirrors
431 Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror
473 Center Arm Rest
4BA Rooster Red Color Line
4BD Dash Surface in Piano Black
502 Retractable Headlamp Washers
507 Rear Park Distance Control
522 Xenon Headlamps
534 Automatic AC
5AA Rear Fog Lamp
5DT Dynamic Traction Control
674 Harman/Kardon Sound System
6ND Bluetooth and USB/iPod Adapter
785 White Turn Signals
927 All Season Tires
T8FP Leather Punch: Carbon Black/Beige

Accessories
Invisishield: Fog Light Kit
Chrome Dual Exhaust Tips
Driving Lamps Chrome
Illuminated Sills - MINI Cooper S
Side Scuttle - Black Jack
Black Jack Mirror Caps
Black Jack - Door Handles
JCW Strut Brace
JCW Drilled Front Brake Rotors
JCW Tuning Kit

$41,687 + Dealer Installation

Old 01-17-2012, 07:36 PM
old81
M6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nicely done, I was going to ask if you got the sport suspension!

Did you do the JCW body kit and the JCW Tuning Kit? Or am I mixing apples to oranges.

Don

Old 01-20-2012, 01:02 AM
minitiny
1st Gear
Got nearly the same stuff as you did!

Ordered a Pepper White Cooper S Roadster.
Only exceptions are Piano Black Dash, Pepper White colour line, Black Mirror Caps and MINI Yours Twin Blade Spoke (they're standard where I live)

Was thinking long and hard about the Recaro sports seats and the Semi-auto top. Didn't get the Recaro as they were awfully pricey.

What rims are you going to be on?

Old 01-20-2012, 05:30 AM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like a great setup. Only question I have is why go for the chrome exhaust tips if you're getting the JCW tuning kit? The kit has the great looking JCW engraved stainless steel tips already.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:12 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
NJ: Habit, I've removed it since the JCW exhaust is already chrome.
Tiny: As for wheel I went with 16 simply because I drive it every day and I have a nice set (actually 2 nice sets) I was going to slap on day one. I love the black trim on the Pepper White - classy.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Island Don
3rd Gear
Chili Red Roadster

My 2112 Cooper S Roadster has been on order since the day we could place one.

Chili Red with Black Cloth interior

ZSP Sport Package
2RU 17" Black Star Bullet
3A7 Black Sport Stripes

ZTP Technology Package

6NM MINI Connected

205_R56 6-Speed Automatic with Paddle Shifters
322 Comfort Access System
3BE Black Mirror Caps
431 Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror
494 Heated Front Seats
4BA Rooster Red Color Line
4BD Dash Surface in Piano Black
502 Retractable Headlamp Washers
521 Rain Sensor and Auto Headlamps
524 Adaptive Light Control
5AA Rear Fog Lamp
ATE1 Cloth: Checkered Carbon Black/Black

And the rear windscreen, which my dealer assures me needs to be ordered from the factory. (which is unique in my experience)

Contemplating the JCW Tune and Suspension.

Planning to do *something* with the suspension, just haven't decided between JCW (which I had on a previous hatch and loved) and aftermarket.

Anxiously waiting...

Old 01-24-2012, 01:51 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Nice sounding cars. Man, those cars are pushing $45k per, and not for the JCW either. They are pretty loaded up though. What's the base on the Roadster S? It's still about $23K on the S Hatch I think.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:16 PM
tommy13
1st Gear
$28 and change. IMHO, anything over $32k, and I'd be uncomfortable buying without looking at other options. That's when an M roadster with a little in the bank to cover future breakdowns looks attractive in comparison.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:32 PM
Island Don
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Nice sounding cars. Man, those cars are pushing $45k per, and not for the JCW either. They are pretty loaded up though. What's the base on the Roadster S? It's still about $23K on the S Hatch I think.
Well, mine (Chili Red S) has a fair amount of options and is right at just $36k off the boat.

Now, if I do some of the JCW stuff I want to, that obviously goes higher, but you can get a pretty well equiped S Roadster for the low $30s. Heck, just going with a manual transmission on mine would bring it down under $35.

Don

Old 01-24-2012, 02:38 PM
Island Don
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tommy13
$28 and change. IMHO, anything over $32k, and I'd be uncomfortable buying without looking at other options. That's when an M roadster with a little in the bank to cover future breakdowns looks attractive in comparison.
I'm certainly over your $32k threshold, and have looked at other options of course. Keep coming back to how much fun MINIs are!
Other cars sound better on paper than in reality in my experience. (at least until you spend a lot more than I'm spending here)
My 370Z should be more fun than it is. Great car, and a pleasure to look at IMHO, just not as fun as the MINI I sold to buy it was. I'm going back!

Don

Old 01-25-2012, 03:18 AM
gwsteven
1st Gear
Roadster Ordered

We ordered our Mini Roadster on 1/24/12 from Mini North Scottsdale.

12MR Cooper S Roadster
A63 Lightning Blue
GSE1 Carbon Black Dinamica/Leather
7HN John Cooper Works Package
226 Sport Spension
387 Convertible Wind Deflector
3A9 Silver Stripes
473 Center Arm Rest
4FA Recaro Seats
6ND iPOD Adapter

Hope to have delivery before AMVIV in Las Vegas and then the FUN begins.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:07 AM
gwsteven
1st Gear
Ordered Blue Roadster

We ordered our Mini Roadster on 1/24/12 from Mini North Scottsdale. We eneded up ordering the Lightning Blue Cooper S Roadster with Recaro seats and the John Cooper Works package. We also added a few misc options, stripes, arm rest, sport suspension, wind deflector and bluetooth adapter. Hope to have delivery before AMVIV 9 in Las Vegas and then the FUN begins.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:31 AM
tommy13
1st Gear
I guess once you go Mini, you never go back.

I sat in the 370, and it felt about as claustrophobic as the new Camaro. Did you ever get used to that?

Looking forward to your thoughts of the car when you get it, especially the windscreen, as it sounds like it would be an impediment to ease of dropping the top. What's it's ETA?

Old 01-25-2012, 06:35 PM
Island Don
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tommy13
I guess once you go Mini, you never go back.

I sat in the 370, and it felt about as claustrophobic as the new Camaro. Did you ever get used to that?

Looking forward to your thoughts of the car when you get it, especially the windscreen, as it sounds like it would be an impediment to ease of dropping the top. What's it's ETA?
Yeah, very different feel to the cockpit. I did get used to the way the A-pillar comes back, and it stopped bothering me, but never loved it. The more upright windshield on the MINI is one of the things I always liked. Now of course, the Coupe and Roadster do lean it back a bit more as well, but seemed ok to me.

I'm anxious to be able to see how the windscreen goes also! (the traveling Roadster we got to poke around at didn't have it)

My dealer says hoping for early Feb build. Status when I check the website is still just "On Order", sigh.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:11 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by gwsteven
We ordered our Mini Roadster on 1/24/12 from Mini North Scottsdale. We eneded up ordering the Lightning Blue Cooper S Roadster with Recaro seats and the John Cooper Works package. We also added a few misc options, stripes, arm rest, sport suspension, wind deflector and bluetooth adapter. Hope to have delivery before AMVIV 9 in Las Vegas and then the FUN begins.
That's where I bought mine. I stopped there a few weeks ago to see a Coupe and they didn't have a Roadster yet. Do they have one now? I'll be back in a couple weeks. Yours is the first I've seen ordered with the Recaro seats, how much does that set you back? Sounds like a nice Mini.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:49 AM
gwsteven
1st Gear
TheBigNewt, Mini North Scottsdale does not have a Roadster yet. We expect delivery in approximately 90 days. I am not sure when they will get theirs. The Recaro seats are $2750 and well worth the money. We have a set of Euro GP Recaro seats in out R52 convertible and really love them. I also had a set of Recaro seats in my Saleen Mustang and highly recommend them.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:06 PM
b&WCM
3rd Gear
I am still waiting for a JCW Roadster dealer slot. Apparently you can only order a standard or S Roadster. JCW Roadsters are still not available to order.

But hopefully a slot will open soon. I may be one of the first to get a JCW Roadster. Not sure if that is a good thing or not but if the production numbers are low, I would think that the JCW Roadster 2012 might be a fairly collectable car in the future.

Wishful thinking!

Old 01-27-2012, 08:28 AM
tommy13
1st Gear
Originally Posted by gwsteven
The Recaro seats are $2750 and well worth the money. We have a set of Euro GP Recaro seats in out R52 convertible and really love them. I also had a set of Recaro seats in my Saleen Mustang and highly recommend them.
I'm just curious - is there anything other than the Recaro front seats with this? I put in a Recaro driver's seat in my Benz, and it was about a grand with the modification piece for the slider. If this package is not more than front seats, why would it not be better to go aftermarket instead? You could probably pocket around 700-1,000 on the difference?

Of course, if there is more than just the seats, is it really worth the additional money?

Old 01-27-2012, 08:34 AM
gwsteven
1st Gear
Side airbags is one of the reasons that they are better than aftermarket Recaro's. If you buy aftermarket Recaro's you would probably have to buy the seat adapters which is an additional expense plus installation if you do not install them yourself.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:46 AM
b&WCM
3rd Gear
The Recaro seats are not as expensive of an option as they first seem.

To go from standard leatherette to Lounge leather is $2000.00. A heated seat option is $500.00.

The Recaros are $2750 but they included the heated seat option at no charge. Also three sources have reported that the Recaro seats will be 6 way power adjustable with a manual lumbar support adjustment ****.

Power seats have never been an option in a Mini before.

So for $2750.00 you get much better leather, heated seats, and power adjustable.

I think going aftermarket will be more expensive as well. To get a side airbag compatible seat, plus proprietary mounting system to fit the Mini, is going to add a lot to the price.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:01 PM
Island Don
3rd Gear
I'm looking forward to seeing the Recaros in person.

We didn't order them due to cost (not getting leather, so it was big bump in price) and availability (anxious anxious anxious) as well as an inability to actually see them. Or even get real information about them - could never get a straight answer as to powered or manual adjustment even.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:12 PM
b&WCM
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Island Don
I'm looking forward to seeing the Recaros in person.

We didn't order them due to cost (not getting leather, so it was big bump in price) and availability (anxious anxious anxious) as well as an inability to actually see them. Or even get real information about them - could never get a straight answer as to powered or manual adjustment even.
Yeah, if you're not getting leather then the Recaros are a pretty big jump. I don't think anyone knows if the new seats are powered because they don't start production until March. Most of it is probably wishful thinking from people asking for powered seats over the past few years.

I mainly wanted the Recaros for comfort. We live in the mountains and take long leisurely drives in the summer. The current sport seats just don't fit me right. They seem too short, lack any padding in the center, and feel uncomfortable on a longer drive.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:24 PM
minitiny
1st Gear
Do the recaros come with any form of marking to identify them as recaro seats? And they come with side airbags?

Old 01-27-2012, 06:41 PM
sequin
3rd Gear
Pepper White here

I pulled the trigger on Jan 13 and luckily I've got my dealer's first production slot for a Cooper S Roadster. Here's my order:

Color 850 Pepper White paint
FTDT Toffee and Carbon Black Cloth/Leather
ZPP Premium Package
ZSP Sport Package
ZTP Technology Package
3A7 Black Sport Stripes
7L7 Adaptive Xenon Headlights
524 Adaptive light control
387 Convertible wind deflector
3BE Door mirror caps in black
494 Heated front seats
4BD Interior surface Piano Black
4CN Color Line Toffee
502 Retractable headlight washers
5AA Rear fog lamp
6NM MINI Connected

I also considered the Recaro seats, but I find that my R55 seats fit me perfectly, so I don't want to mess with a good thing. Plus, I don't want to wait!!

Mine now says "Scheduled for Production", after being "On Order" for a while. The factory order options box is still empty, though, so I'm guessing production is still a ways off.

Last edited by sequin; 01-27-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Julien321
4th Gear
Originally Posted by minitiny
Do the recaros come with any form of marking to identify them as recaro seats? And they come with side airbags?

They say something by Recaro (maybe) but.... Should have done it in red/color and/or high relief.

Quick Reply: R59 MINI Roadster - What Did You Order?