R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Best Exhaust Mod for R58

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 04:01 AM
Matt Beal
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Best Exhaust Mod for R58

So I got my 2012 Coupe S about a month ago. I have put a Alta CAI on the car and thats about it. I really don't like how quiet the exhaust is.

I don't want it to be obnoxiously loud because I still daily the car 100 miles a day to work. I just want to hear something. I have read about the one ball mod but the exhaust on the r58 looks totally different than in the diagrams I see.

What would you guys recommend me do so it sounds a little bit sportier? Also I was wondering what other mods I could do to prolong the life of the car? I want to keep the engine and turbo as cool as possible.

Thankyou

Old 05-24-2017, 09:25 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
Welcome to the family! If legal in your area have a muffler shop remove the second cat and forward resonator. Sportier sound but no drone on the highway. Probably cost you $50 to $75. If still not aggressive you might want to look into a Borla or similar exhaust. Be aware however that if you ever plan on removing the primary cat/DP and going catless the Borla will drone horribly.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:42 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
For an exhaust the Akrapovic is by far the best for that car. It will fit perfect with no drone, and sexy carbon fiber tips.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/akrapo...6-r57-r58.html

Keep in mind that the standard R56 exh don't fit the R58 correctly as they have the extra braces under the rear the R56 exh doesn't clear.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 05-25-2017, 05:46 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
Yep the Akra's have an awesome sound as well. Not cheap but the quality is outstanding by any measuring stick you care to use. Way you sure you weren't thinking R57 with the extra bracing?

Old 05-25-2017, 04:11 PM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Tigger2011
Yep the Akra's have an awesome sound as well. Not cheap but the quality is outstanding by any measuring stick you care to use. Way you sure you weren't thinking R57 with the extra bracing?
R57/R59 both have the R57 style bracing. I thought the R58 had it too, but I can't find any bracing for the R58 on realoem.com.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:53 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
LOL, I was thinking R59 instead of R58. The Coupe doesn't have the bracing so you can put an R56 S exhaust on it. But still like the Akrapovic the best

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 05-30-2017, 04:08 PM
Matt Beal
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tigger2011
Welcome to the family! If legal in your area have a muffler shop remove the second cat and forward resonator. Sportier sound but no drone on the highway. Probably cost you $50 to $75. If still not aggressive you might want to look into a Borla or similar exhaust. Be aware however that if you ever plan on removing the primary cat/DP and going catless the Borla will drone horribly.
So I wasn't sure if this thread was going to be posted, since I waited a couple days and it didn't show up as pending or anything.

UPDATE: I had the same setup as Douglas H in this thread
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...lowmaster.html

I got it done and it is quieter than stock. I hate it. Now after reading his post again, I realized that I still have my secondary cat installed. Do you think it would make any difference to have that removed? Or should I go have the resonator that I just had put on taken off?

I have like 90$ in the resonator so it isn't that big of a deal having it taken off. I just want your guys input first

Old 05-31-2017, 10:31 AM
rosvick
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've installed a Magnaflow kit on my 2012 Coupe S, and I've had a lot of compliments on the sound. The only way I can describe it is that the car now sounds more 'grown up.' At idle it's nice and subdued, but it'll definitely bark if you've got your foot into it. Also, the pops and burbles in Sport mode (after getting the pipe nice and hot) will not be missed by passers-by!