R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Bummer of a day

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 05:36 AM
DogfaceSGM
4th Gear
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by kerwooddr
Hmm. From the photo it looks like most (if not all) of the pricey damage is limited to fender and hood, headlight, bumper and bumper cover, and maybe some twisted metal on the right front engine support member. It looks pretty doable to me, certainly within the price point of the resale value of the Coupe. One thing did catch my eye - the connector for the exhaust VANOS module looks like it popped off. Weird how that could've happened.
Good catch on the VANOS connector. I hadn't noticed that. 99% of my attention was outside of the engine compartment. I just went out and looked and the connector is broke. The lockbridge (metal part under my hand that goes front strut to strut and supports the radiator) was bent. During my NASCAR repair, I straightened it best I could. I am guessing the boost air duct got it as nothing else in that area is/was bent. I bet that is the reason for my limp mode.

I think it is doable as well. I am not looking at resale, I will drive it till it drops. I have been monitoring two Auto Salvage Auction sites. Two sold this week that would have gotten me all the parts I need for $2400 & $2600. I really didn't want either, one was in NV farther than I care to pick up, the other had an automatic tranny. If I buy one, I would rather have engine/tranny to rebuild as a hobby if mine lets go.

Old 04-20-2024, 05:48 AM
DogfaceSGM
4th Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
Situations like this warrant carrying full coverage, even on an older vehicle. If the car is worth $8-9k, even if it got totaled out by insurance, you’d be up $8-9k towards a replacement. Or at the least you would have the money to put into a rebuild. Just saying….
A lot of that depends on your financial situation. I am 59 years old, I have had one at fault accident (I was 22 then), and hit 3 deer (Had full coverage on the vehicle I was driving then). Since I have worked sales all over the Midwest, I have driven over 1,500,000 miles. My last three work vehicles add up to over 1 million miles when I sold them (1992 Chevy S10 210000, 1996 Ford 350 Powerstroke 365000, 2016 Chevy 3500 Duramax 465000) I have had no other accidents in my life. I am a defensive driver but this one just happened too fast, too close to even react.

The one thing I did find out is you can get uninsured motorist coverage for your car CHEAP. I will add that. There are too many out on the road today.

Old 04-20-2024, 07:53 AM
kerwooddr
2nd Gear
Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by DogfaceSGM
The one thing I did find out is you can get uninsured motorist coverage for your car CHEAP. I will add that. There are too many out on the road today.
CSM - USAA all the way, esp for folks that wear the uniform.

Old 04-20-2024, 08:16 AM
DogfaceSGM
4th Gear
I quoted a few years ago. They couldn't beat my current State Farm price/coverage.

In the past whenever a insurance rep said uninsured motorist, you never really heard the "bodily injury" part. I thought it was anything. Now I know.

Old 04-21-2024, 01:27 PM
DogfaceSGM
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kerwooddr
One thing did catch my eye - the connector for the exhaust VANOS module looks like it popped off.
Went to a pick & pull and got a new to me connector ($7.50). Soldered it in and now my go fast is back, no more limp mode. Thanks for catching that.

Now if I can just find out for sure if the other driver had insurance or not, will determine my course of action.

Old 04-21-2024, 04:05 PM
kerwooddr
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DogfaceSGM
Now if I can just find out for sure if the other driver had insurance or not, will determine my course of action.
Why isn't your insurance company trying to find that out? It'd be in their own best interest to limit their own financial liability and dig that money out of the hide of the person (and their insurance company) that crashed into your MINI. They're supposed to be looking out for your interests here. Along with their own.

No lawsuits involved? Would this be a no-fault insurance claim?

Old 04-21-2024, 04:40 PM
DogfaceSGM
4th Gear
They still haven't received the police report. I am calling the Sheriff's office again tomorrow with a "WTF" where is my police report question. Today was two weeks since it happened.

BTW, fixed the boost air duct with tile tape. It is basically 2" heavy duty electrical tape. Once you have had it, you will always want some, kind of like duct tape.

Old 04-22-2024, 04:08 AM
kerwooddr
2nd Gear
Speaking of ducts, and to keep this thread within the bounds of this MINI Coupé (R58) discussion, this story:

About a year or so ago, I went about changing the air filter. Popped the cover and found that much of the space below the filter was filled with seeds, acorn bits, and lots of leafy bits. Turned out that a chipmunk thought he or she had found the perfect spot to snuggle down for the winter and keep a food stash handy. Not what I wanted though. So after cleaning it all out and putting in the new air filter, I made this simple mod to the air intake just inboard of the driver's side headlight:

Critter barrier

Works like a charm, needless to say.

Old 04-22-2024, 05:19 AM
DogfaceSGM
4th Gear
Chicken fence to the rescue! I used that as a temporary grill on my Chevy 3500 after plowing into a deer till I got it fixed properly.

We don't have a chipmunk issue but field mice. They will nest in an idle vehicle and chew through wires causing an electrical nightmare. My dad had a truck that sat for one week and the little buggers chewed through a couple wires. Took my brother and I over two hours just to find where it was, 10 minutes to fix. Thankfully it wasn't severe.

Old 04-23-2024, 01:58 AM
kerwooddr
2nd Gear
The most expensive chewed wire issue I've had to deal with was after another nest of chipmunks chewed through a cylinder head temp sensor wire in my 2011 Ford Flex. I gave up trying to get to the sensor connector which was located in the valley between the V6 cylinder heads in top middle area of the engine. Doing it properly would have required disassembly of everything above and including the intake manifold, a job I was just not willing to do myself, so I took it to my local Ford dealer to take care of. $500 later it was fixed by splicing a new wire to the sensor connector. Never a dull moment.. https://www.fordflex.net/forums/view...242442#p242442

Old 04-26-2024, 03:53 PM
DogfaceSGM
4th Gear
Well I bought a parts/donor car. Going to Alabama Sunday to pick it up Monday. It has the stuff I need plus some stuff I wanted. Being it is a JCW, it has the color side rails and the R112 rims and the headlights. Once I get all I need off it, I plan on taking a few "backup" parts like the drive assembly for the spoiler, any and all electric boxes (footwell, fusebox etc.) then offering anything else for sale.

The following users liked this post:
bluonyx (04-27-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 05:52 PM
DogfaceSGM
4th Gear
Drive from Ohio to Alabama 11.5 hours. No major incidents but a LOT of idiots on the road for a Sunday.

Pick it up tomorrow at 8:30 AM then the drive back.

The following users liked this post:
MiniConn (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 02:29 AM
kerwooddr
2nd Gear
CSM - have a safe trip back. I'm sure that more than a few folks here would take that R59 off your hands in a skinny minute if you decided not to use it for a parts vehicle. That's a rare bird you've gotten yourself.

Old 04-30-2024, 05:10 AM
DogfaceSGM
4th Gear
Yes and no. Vehicle history has a couple owners and several fender benders. I don't think it was shown much love.

If it weren't for the flood damage, I would consider repairing it but I have no idea on the electronics/mechanical ​​at this point. I also do not care for the brown interior.