R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 What is the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 07:36 AM
ny_yankee
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
What is the difference?

Im going crazy over this color thing with the Roadster. They just dont have the right colors IMO for this car. So I start comparing the regular Mini Convertible S with JCW package to Roadster because I like this Eclipse Gray color, just a nice color. So just wanted to hear what differences you guys see besides the seats of course. I do have 2 young girls at home and a wife who hates driving in convertibles because it messes up her hair and would be nice to take my girls for a drive but I could do that with the roadster also, just one at a time. I see the windshield is lower on Roadster and love the way the Roadster looks. The measurements are pretty much the same anyway. Is it as simple as they are the same car except for seating? And does anyone have pics of Eclipse Gray?

Old 03-02-2012, 02:16 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ny_yankee
Is it as simple as they are the same car except for seating?
As you noted the convertible has a more upright windshield and true seating for four.
With the R57, you can take out the entire family for a road trip or ice cream, versus making runs in the R59 Roadster.

Otherwise, the powertrain is the same, dimensions (although not exact) are virtually the same, as the available options.
It's gonna come down to you making a choice in terms of style versus desired operation.

Originally Posted by ny_yankee
And does anyone have pics of Eclipse Gray
TONS, when you search. See the registry thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ners-club.html

And a random R57 image from Google-search...

- Erik

Old 03-03-2012, 07:34 AM
gr8ful
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the Eclipses Gray on my R 55. It nice but very dark and most that saw it thought it black. The main reason traded it in. That color shows all flaws and dirt.

I currently own a R57 and justed checked out the R59. Same driving feel but much smaller of a cockpit. Also the rack of the windshield is easy to smack face/head on, makes exiting and entry tuff. Better looking than the regular cabrio, my $.02 worth.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:35 AM
b&WCM
3rd Gear
There are a lot of differences.

The frame on the Roadster has a lot more bracing to stiffen up the upper structure behind the seats. This greatly reduces the annoying cowl shake present on convertibles.

The Roadster has real functional Stainless steel roll bars behind the seats which are mounted in the stiffer frame. The convertible has plastic roll bars.

The suspension is redesigned and setup just for the Roadster/Coupe. The Roadster has a very large trunk that the top does not intrude upon when down. The Convertible has basically no trunk with the top down.

The Roadster has the pop up spoiler for more stability at speed. The Roadster has new and improved windshield wipers. The Roadster has a steeply raked windshield.

The list goes on!

You can find out a lot about the differences by listening to the podcasts at WhiteRoofRadio.com as they have been testing out the new Roadster lately. Also there is a lot of written articles on the Roadster at MotoringFile.com

Old 05-15-2012, 01:21 PM
CalsonicSE
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was so set on eventually trading in my daily driver MINI convertible for a MINI Roadster, mainly because the Roadster is lighter and looks better (subjective). Our other car is a mid-size sedan, so I thought having a two-seater shouldn't be a problem.

After seeing the Roadster in person, however, I decided to keep my convertible. The thing that changed my mind is the issue of practicality. Although the Roadster comes with a bigger boot, it's no match for the storage space of the convertible with the rear seats folded down. E.g., I can fit two large, 32" suitcases in the convertible with the seats folded down. No way the suitcases will fit in the Roadster. Also, there have been numerous times when friends/family needed a ride and the extra seats came in handy.

Last edited by CalsonicSE; 05-15-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:11 PM
AustinS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by b&WCM
...The Roadster has a very large trunk that the top does not intrude upon when down. The Convertible has basically no trunk with the top down...
Wrong-O. On the convertible the top sits up and blocks your rear vision but it does not intrude into the trunk. The trunk has the same space - and it is amazing how much space it has - with the top down as it does when up.

Plus the convertible has plenty of space with the seats folded down, but more importantly is how much you can put in the back seat on a trip. And in a pinch you can put 2 people back there. Not comfortably, but they can get home.

And, if you took out the back seats...

I have looked at the roadster and I really like it, but I think I like my convertible more.

But as to colors, IMO MINI has never had a good color selection.