R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 SmartTop for R57 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 07:00 AM
none
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can set all of the options using the mini's roof open/close toggle switch and the turn signals. A pc and USB cable is convenient but required.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:53 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by none
You can set all of the options using the mini's roof open/close toggle switch and the turn signals. A pc and USB cable is convenient but required.
Your statements seem contradictory.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:04 AM
none
1st Gear
Sorry about the typo

You can set all of the options using the mini's roof open/close toggle switch and the turn signals. A pc and USB cable is convenient but NOT required.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:05 AM
mid_life_crisis
1st Gear
I just installed one in the wife's 2010. Wasn't difficult. You don't need an internet connection when changing settings in the car. You only need internet to download the little program to your laptop. If a firmware update comes available you would obviously need it for that.
Can't comment on the mirrir thing because I didn't enable it: the wife thought it was silly.
Since I installed it my wife has complained a few times that the trunk unlatched on its own. I find that unlikely to be a coincidence. Anyone else experience this?
She also complains that sometimes it acts like it is disabled and the system is factory spec. Anyone else notice this?

Edit: Found out that the trunk unlatching has nothing to do with the smarttop. Apparently the roof can leak in that area and water gets in and shorts the electric latch release. The seal needs to be replaced.

Last edited by mid_life_crisis; 06-08-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:06 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis
Edit: Found out that the trunk unlatching has nothing to do with the smarttop. Apparently the roof can leak in that area and water gets in and shorts the electric latch release. The seal needs to be replaced.
See my post
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...teresting.html
The dealer had to replace the latch mechanism. I am not alone in this either. The factory fix - and every R57 owner should do this before the next rain - is to remove the rubber plug at the bottom of the hatch and leave it out.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:36 PM
AustinS
4th Gear
6 days till Father's Day. I have my fingers crossed.

Last edited by AustinS; 06-18-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:22 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
Yesterday was Father's Day and I got the smartTOP. Now to find time to install it.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:14 AM
mid_life_crisis
1st Gear
The manufacturer recommends leaving the USB cable connected. I did this, but hindsight being 20-20, I realized after I put it all back together that I should have run it up to that small access port at the top of the side panel. I really don't feel like taking it all apart just to relocate it now.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:15 AM
mid_life_crisis
1st Gear
Originally Posted by AustinS
Yesterday was Father's Day and I got the smartTOP. Now to find time to install it.
If you're comfortable working with interior pieces, you can do this in an hour easily.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:35 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
I don't think I'll have any problems installing it but I will wait a couple days as my MINI is leaking anti-freeze. I am just 2 months and 2,000 miles out of warranty. I have an appointment tomorrow. My service advisor says possibly thermostat or water pump. I hope it is the former. I have never had a MINI or BMW before so I may find out what others have said about repair costs. Maybe it will just be a loose hose clamp. I tried to locate the leak (right side behind engine) but couldn't. It is dripping from the inner CV boot, so it is somewhere above that.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:46 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
The dealer is replacing the water pump right now. But I was mistaken about the warranty. It's 48mo/50k so I am ok.

I did speak to them about the smartTOP and they said it could void the warranty on the electronics if there ever were a problem.

To those of you who have installed the smartTOP, I have a question:
Do you think the functionality is worth the money?
OR - do you wish you had not installed it?

I also drove the roadster while here and I like it.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:51 PM
mid_life_crisis
1st Gear
Originally Posted by AustinS
The dealer is replacing the water pump right now. But I was mistaken about the warranty. It's 48mo/50k so I am ok.

I did speak to them about the smartTOP and they said it could void the warranty on the electronics if there ever were a problem.
Wow, your service department is tough.
My guy told me intakes and exhaust, no problem. He drew the line at turbos.
He knows what a SmartTop is, no problem.
Apparently tuned ecu's can fry when hooked up to their diagnostic computers and are not covered.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:29 PM
AustinS
4th Gear
Well they have really taken good care of me and my MINI though. Water pump replacement took about 2 1/2 hours.

Meanwhile I took an extended test drive of the Roadster (manual but no turbo). It was pretty nice and I really like it. I think it handles as well or better than mine and definitely rode smother. I do like my turbo but this Roadster did fairly well on hilly curves if I kept the RPMs at 5000 or above (I know some of you would not rev a new engine that much) and worked the gears as needed. I enjoyed my drive and the salesman with me (he sold me my current MINI) encouraged me to drive aggressively, which I did.

I know this comment has nothing to do with the smartTOP, but if I get the urge to sell or trade mine and buy a Roadster, I won't need the smartTOP.

And I didn't know this but the non-turbo uses regular gas.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:51 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
Update on my smartTOP

My son and I installed the smartTOP yesterday. He programmed it from his laptop...so easily...it took a matter of seconds.

I was leery about this being worth the money but I love it.

I think what I like best is the remote closing. Many has been the time I have had something in the back seat, got out of the car and retrieved it, got back in to close the top and then got back out. This morning I had a box in the back seat. I got out, grabbed the box, pressed close and walked away. I did look back after 30-40 feet. The top was closed and the windows were going up.

COOL

Old 06-21-2012, 08:52 AM
mid_life_crisis
1st Gear
Excellent. Where did you put the cable?

Old 06-21-2012, 01:48 PM
AustinS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis
Excellent. Where did you put the cable?
The USB cable?
FYI - we programmed the unit on the workbench before installing it.
After install the USB cable is tucked under the carpeted lid right above the trunk light with the green emergency release

Old 07-25-2012, 10:05 AM
sinus
1st Gear
Looks like the SmartTOP module is now available for the R52 Mini, too:

http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/shop/in...oducts&cat=203

Old 08-12-2013, 04:18 PM
jealonso
Neutral
I know this is an old thread but I just got my R57 and looking for this. Mods4Cars has the module at $299, which is a bit steep. Ever heard about the top commander? or maybe another cheaper option?

Old 08-13-2013, 05:33 AM
sweetestbaboon
1st Gear
I got it as a gift from the in-laws. Thought it was pricey myself, but absolutely dug it the most as a present. I use it constantly & have never had one issue. I really do love it & having used it, definitely would buy it for myself, regardless of cost. (Like the Wind Deflector- Mini sent me one as a make good for somethin' or other. Never woulda' bought myself, but gosh is it a wonderful thing to have!)
The SmartTOP was really easy to install too & no need for a PC (I have a Mac); it can all be programmed in the car lickety split. I was really nervous as I am indeed the opposite of handy, but it was surprisingly simple (a lil' time-consuming, but actually fun as well!).
Feel free to PM any more questions if you'd like & I hope you enjoy it.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:14 AM
mitch171
3rd Gear
I am very interested in the smart too just to be able to put my top up and down at low speeds (r52). The cost is what is getting me. Does anyone know an alternative that will give me that function?

Old 08-13-2013, 06:23 AM
jealonso
Neutral
Originally Posted by mitch171
I am very interested in the smart too just to be able to put my top up and down at low speeds (r52). The cost is what is getting me. Does anyone know an alternative that will give me that function?
I've been reading about something called top commander that works on the R52... You should look it up

Old 08-13-2013, 06:31 AM
mitch171
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jealonso

I've been reading about something called top commander that works on the R52... You should look it up
I looked at that and it seems to have every feature except the roof during movement, which r52 can't do at all stock. If I am wrong about this that would be great, $70 is much better.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:41 PM
Neutral
Hi All!

I just got my first Mini and am loving it. It's a 2015 S and all I could really use the SmartTop! I've took over a lease with 1750 miles so the car has warranty. Some questions I have:

1.) Is this SmartTop working well for everybody who has used it?
2.) Where is the best place to buy one!?
3.) Any issues with it voiding the warranty? Is it pretty easy to remove before I take it to service if there is ever a problem?

Cheers.
EDIT: I just ordered one! This must be the best mod out there and I'm so happy it exists!

Last edited by 1800; 12-30-2016 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:01 PM
none
1st Gear
I've had mine since 2011 and it still works perfectly.

They do a nice job to minimize warranty issues. You can uninstall the unit and reconnect the cables exactly like stock. You can also turn the unit off and then it acts like it isn't there. I've done this when the dealer was going to do a software update and everything worked smoothly.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:21 PM
Neutral
I received it and was so excited to install it. While the software portion on my laptop was easy, taking apart the trunk and finding the plug has been incredibly challenging. I have no idea who these people are saying it was a breeze (obviously much more handy than the average guy). I can't find installation videos for the r57 either, just a site with some pictures. Anybody know where to go to get this installed? Paid $320 for this, not need to cough up more for installation.

Quick Reply: R57 SmartTop for R57 Convertible