R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 Am I crazy to think about this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Madurodave
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I crazy to think about this?

I live in NH. I currently have 2 BMWs, 1 being a 2007 X3 that I am thinking about trading in for a MINI Convertible S. I am not sure if it will be new or used. I drive a lot of miles, so a low mileage used with CPO warranty probably is in the cards for me.

Anyway, this would be my primary vehicle. A few questions:

1. Will it handle well in the snow? We can get a lot here in NH.
2. Will the top hold up to the snow/cold here in NH? I have sen posts that it is fine, and others say it will wear faster. Most likely with the miles I drive per year (about 25k) for my current job I will only have it for 3 - 4 years or so, depending on how it works. Maybe longer if it is very reliable.
3. Reliability - how do they do over time? I am looking at a 2009 or 2010 if I buy new. Too early to tell?
4. Transmission - I will probably have to get an AUTO this time around, so my wife can share in the fun. Any issues with the AUTO trans? My X3 has some hesitation issues - it has a GM6 transmission. Is it the same in the MINI?

I am taking a test drive Saturday to first see if I like it or not. If so, I need to locate a good CPO car (MINI NEXT). I am thinking of Interchange Yellow. I found 1 that is a bit of a drive away, but if the deal is right it might work well.

Any thoughts/criticisms/experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-02-2010, 08:08 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The MINI will handle quite well in snow, especially if you have good tires - the 17" performance tires are not good. 16" all seasons are OK, or get snow tires for better.
I didn't see much top wear due to weather - I was careful not to scrape the snow too close to the top when clearing the car. But consider that the reason I don't still drive that car is how VERY cold it is in the winter! It's not an insulated top; at 15f outside, I was maybe only at 50f inside. Plan for gloves and coat!
The 2007+ MINIs have been quite good reliability, the auto transmission is good for 2007+.

At today's MINI of Peabody rally I drove a 2009 MC convertible - not an S. Very nice ride, but S has much more power but a bit harsher ride.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:13 PM
Madurodave
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by GBMINI
The MINI will handle quite well in snow, especially if you have good tires - the 17" performance tires are not good. 16" all seasons are OK, or get snow tires for better.
I didn't see much top wear due to weather - I was careful not to scrape the snow too close to the top when clearing the car. But consider that the reason I don't still drive that car is how VERY cold it is in the winter! It's not an insulated top; at 15f outside, I was maybe only at 50f inside. Plan for gloves and coat!
The 2007+ MINIs have been quite good reliability, the auto transmission is good for 2007+.

At today's MINI of Peabody rally I drove a 2009 MC convertible - not an S. Very nice ride, but S has much more power but a bit harsher ride.
Thanks GBMINI. I figured it would be cold in the cabin. Hopefully with heated seats it won't be too bad!

Is there any sort of insulation that can be used for the top? Is there any option like Miatas have for a hard top to use during the winter? I did not see any, so I assume no.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:39 PM
MrsDarcy
Coordinator :: Alaska MINI Club
I can chime in on the snow handling:

I live in Alaska and my MINI handles BEAUTIFULLY! I've got dedicated snow tires that I change over come November... If you plan on driving this daily in the snow, you absolutely must get snow tires. It makes a world of difference. When the snow is a little deep, the MINI just plows right through it! I get all the snow coming up over my hood.

I love the Interchange Yellow! I just wish it was available in a Clubman!

Have fun on your test drive!!

Old 05-03-2010, 04:54 AM
howie289
2nd Gear
The Heated Seats are great.

If you will drive in snow often, get a set of good snows on wheels and you will have no problems.

I also got an electric blanket that plugs into the cigarette lighter. A must for rear seat kids.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:50 AM
Madurodave
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by howie289
The Heated Seats are great.

If you will drive in snow often, get a set of good snows on wheels and you will have no problems.

I also got an electric blanket that plugs into the cigarette lighter. A must for rear seat kids.
In my case, my kids are grown but I have my first grandchild! I can't wait to take her out someday with the top down! I saw Zanary's pics with the 2 car seats. Looks like the back is tight but perfect for toddlers and small children!

Thanks for the heated blanket idea!

Old 05-03-2010, 06:09 AM
ChrisNJ
2nd Gear
I also had 2 BMWs. I traded the 2006 Conv. for the Mini. My wife drives the 330i. We are always fighting for the Mini. It averages 33mpg and is fun to drive.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:17 AM
Madurodave
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ChrisNJ
I also had 2 BMWs. I traded the 2006 Conv. for the Mini. My wife drives the 330i. We are always fighting for the Mini. It averages 33mpg and is fun to drive.
I have the X3 which I am not thrilled with which I am thinking of trading. The AT is a little rough on shifts. My 530xi, however, will be with me for a long time. It is truly a great car.

The extra mpg on the MINI over the X3 will help with my commute. I get 22-24 mpg on the X3 versus 33+ on the MINI will save me around $100/month on gas which will help with payments!

Old 05-03-2010, 06:42 AM
Madurodave
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MrsDarcy
If you plan on driving this daily in the snow, you absolutely must get snow tires. It makes a world of difference. When the snow is a little deep, the MINI just plows right through it! I get all the snow coming up over my hood.
Would the All Season Run Flats work well? I see a used one with 16" AS Run Flats. Not sure if it would work ok or not for a year.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:13 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
I get by fine with all-seasons here in Gloucester, MA ... it all depends how well they plow round your way, and how careful you are driving in the snow.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:21 AM
Madurodave
2nd Gear
I get by fine with all-seasons here in Gloucester, MA ... it all depends how well they plow round your way, and how careful you are driving in the snow.
Thanks. I do a pretty good job of driving in the snow. My town, however, can be pretty bad in the winter on some storms. I had a Hond Civic 3 years ago with 5 spd and studded snows. I had the hardest time making it up a steep hill by my house. I am not sure how the MINI would have done that day.

I know the run flats are pricey, so after they wear out I will probably replace them with something like Michelin All Seasons. I have those on my X3 now - quiet, great wear and excellent snow traction.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:25 AM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
Just a quick note that the '07+ Coupe and '09+ Cabrios have the good auto transmissions. Just clarifying.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:33 AM
Madurodave
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by thevelourfog
Just a quick note that the '07+ Coupe and '09+ Cabrios have the good auto transmissions. Just clarifying.
What was wrong with the AT prior to that? A lot of problems?

Do you or anyone know who makes the AT?

I have an AT in my X3 made by GM. It is a 6 speed auto. It works well but has some peculiar shifting. It can be jerky. Others have complained on a BMW forum that they were almost killed due to the AT not downshifting so they could accelerate!

Old 05-03-2010, 08:21 AM
jsargevt
3rd Gear
I have a 2008 MCS with the AT. I think that the complaints about the old AT is specific to the CVT. That is agreed as universally crappy. I think that all R56 ATs are Aisin which are outstanding. I have had ZERO issues with my AT in the MCS and I really love it. Highly recommended.

I also live in NH and I can say that only once did I have to turn around to get the pilot this year in the snow. I run stock 16" with the stock all season Contis on. I admit that the stock contis are not very good in the snow but if you tossed on some winter tires you should be good to go most anywhere. The issue then becomes clearance - the mini does make a good snowplow impression and that can be problematic (hence why i had to turn around on the un plowed road). I know that Nokian makes some WRG2 all season runflat tires that are mud and snow rated and look like they would probably be a good "all season" tire fi you didn't want to have to swap wheels.

I love the look of the 17" wheels but around where i am in the lakes region the roads suck bad enough (even now!) that I am happy that I have 16s. You might want to keep that in mind (but an IY convertible with the 17" black bullets would be quite nice).

Ping if you have any other questions....happy to help a local out.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:43 AM
Madurodave
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jsargevt
I have a 2008 MCS with the AT. I think that the complaints about the old AT is specific to the CVT. That is agreed as universally crappy. I think that all R56 ATs are Aisin which are outstanding. I have had ZERO issues with my AT in the MCS and I really love it. Highly recommended.

I also live in NH and I can say that only once did I have to turn around to get the pilot this year in the snow. I run stock 16" with the stock all season Contis on. I admit that the stock contis are not very good in the snow but if you tossed on some winter tires you should be good to go most anywhere. The issue then becomes clearance - the mini does make a good snowplow impression and that can be problematic (hence why i had to turn around on the un plowed road). I know that Nokian makes some WRG2 all season runflat tires that are mud and snow rated and look like they would probably be a good "all season" tire fi you didn't want to have to swap wheels.

I love the look of the 17" wheels but around where i am in the lakes region the roads suck bad enough (even now!) that I am happy that I have 16s. You might want to keep that in mind (but an IY convertible with the 17" black bullets would be quite nice).

Ping if you have any other questions....happy to help a local out.
Thanks for the info - very helpful! Looks like you are pretty close to me! I go to Meredith Harley Davidson quite a bit during the summer. Bike Week is coming up fast!

I have Contis on my 530xi. I agree they are not the best. Quiet, nice ride, but a little slippery in the snow. They work on my 530xi because of the AWD.

So far, I love my Michelins on my X3. Also quiet but better bite into the snow.

I do love the looks of bigger wheels. Where I live in Nottingham it is rural with dirt/gravel roads as well as bumps, potholes and frost heaves in the winter! 16s may be the better choice for a more comfortable ride.

As far as getting another set for the winter with dedicated snows, that is a possibility. My wife would probably be mad, though. I still have a second set of wheels in the basement from my old Z3 convertible. She hates "clutter"! The aluminum is pitted and needs to be polished. I might try and do that and sell them. Then I would have room for wheels for the MINI!

Old 05-03-2010, 10:35 AM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Madurodave
What was wrong with the AT prior to that? A lot of problems?

Do you or anyone know who makes the AT?

I have an AT in my X3 made by GM. It is a 6 speed auto. It works well but has some peculiar shifting. It can be jerky. Others have complained on a BMW forum that they were almost killed due to the AT not downshifting so they could accelerate!

I guess the S has the same Aisin tranny for the R52/R53 as the new R56/R57...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...056&hg=24&fg=0

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...56&hg=24&fg=05

Must have just been the crap ZF CVT in the non-S that gave them a bad rap.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Madurodave
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by thevelourfog
I guess the S has the same Aisin tranny for the R52/R53 as the new R56/R57...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...056&hg=24&fg=0

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...56&hg=24&fg=05

Must have just been the crap ZF CVT in the non-S that gave them a bad rap.
Sounds like it. I just don't want to get into another potential bad AT vehicle.

I am hoping my wife will say ok to the manual instead. She was almost getting it on our Civic. I think I intimidated her too much!

Old 05-03-2010, 07:33 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
I sold my 3 series 323 convertible and had an '09 MCS Convertible built for me. I love this car. My wife drives an '06 BMW 530 and it is a fantastic car. Given a choice however, I always drive the MINI as it is just more fun.

The second gen auto trannies have a very good reputation and are responsive. I have a 6 speed manual but rented a MINI with auto before buying the MINI just to make sure my infatuation for the MINI was not a fleeting thing - it was not!

Live in Atlanta so can't help you much on snow opinions.

I run Michelin Pilot Sport A/S PLUS non runflats and love this tire. Quiet, good grip and smooth running and they have a 45k mile tread life warranty. Don't know how these are in heavy snow but great all season tire for Atlanta with good wet and dry grip.

Heated seats are a must for me - they work great. Also the wind deflector makes a big difference on cooler days. I did not order it with the car but bought a new one on ebay from a dealer for about $400. It really calms the airflow in the cabin and folds easily for stowage. With it in place I can have the top down at 50 degrees and ride in short sleeves with the seat heat on.

If you order a 2010 - the new Harmon Kardon audio upgrade is getting very good reviews (the '07-'09 Hifi systems are not nearly as good).

Overall reliability is good - not Honda bullet proof but BMW good. When you read the posts in any message board it is easy to think that every car is a lemon as negative items tend to attract posts. I have had no issues in the 9,000 miles thus far.

I also enjoy the comfort option that lets you leave the key fob in your pocket.

The MINI shows its BMW roots in every drive. I realize that you want an auto but drive both. The manual is a very easy shifting unit and the MINI has a 2 second hill hold that makes starting out easier. The S has so much torque- even just off idle-that driving a MINI manual is really easy.

I added coco mats from cocomats.com to top things off. Haven't had these in many years but they don't show dirt and these units are very well built.

I must have test driven the MINI 5 times as I couldn't put my finger on just why I was so enthralled by the MINI. I worried that I was "going backwards" by downsizing from a 3 series (silly, I know). I loved my Bimmer but the MINI makes going to the dentist fun.

Last edited by gawannamini; 05-03-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:04 AM
Madurodave
2nd Gear
Thanks for the info, Gawannamini! I definitely will try out the manual. The problem is convincing my ife. I have every confidence that she could learn. How is the clutch? Pretty light? More like a BMW clutch? If it is light and easy, she might try it. I would rather not spend the extra money on the AT anyway and put it into some JCW upgrades, such as the engine kit.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:59 AM
Herleman
5th Gear
I just came back from driving the dragon at MOTD. I will probably incur some wrath here, but I truly wish I had bought a manual instead of the auto. The auto in sport mode is pretty good, but if you like to drive quickly, it can't keep up.

BUT.... If you spend time in traffic, the auto is a delight, and its otherwise very nice to have.

I selected the auto after very careful consideration (that is to say, I carefully considered my wife's suggestion that it was an automatic Mini or no Mini).

I selected well.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:56 AM
Madurodave
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Herleman
I just came back from driving the dragon at MOTD. I will probably incur some wrath here, but I truly wish I had bought a manual instead of the auto. The auto in sport mode is pretty good, but if you like to drive quickly, it can't keep up.

BUT.... If you spend time in traffic, the auto is a delight, and its otherwise very nice to have.

I selected the auto after very careful consideration (that is to say, I carefully considered my wife's suggestion that it was an automatic Mini or no Mini).

I selected well.
That is the decision I will most likely have to face.

My daughter (all grown up now) thinks I AM crazy to do this. She thinks I am taking a step down from the BMW X3 to the MINI and that they are dangerous. Of course they are, but they have lots of safety features! Also, I had a Miata which was tiny.

My only concern is will I freeze my a$$ off in the cold/snow with the uninsulated top!

Old 05-04-2010, 08:03 AM
jsargevt
3rd Gear
For wheels - just keep your eyes peeled for 4x100 here on the forums or on CL for mini wheels. If you are looking for winter wheels you can eventually find a nice price on wheels which are "generic". There are 16" on frequently since most people move up to 17" - the trick is to find someone local because shipping can kill a good price on cheap wheels. I am sure that 17s would be fine for the most part - you'll just have to pay a little closer attention. I'd NEVER run 18s up here in NH personally.

I love the AT - i don't think that i miss out on any excitement. Frankly, if someone is outrunning you in a mini it is unlikely that it is due to the difference between MT vs AT. I will admit that MT does give you more "connection" to the car in some respects. However, the flexibility of the AT won out for me - most of the time just tooling around I just leave it in "DS" auto and it handles the shifting w/o issue. Plus, my wife was wanting an auto - she just does not care for MT. Honestly I am perfectly happy with it. In traffic the auto is great.

If you're thinking manual and wanting to add JCW "bits" I'd seciously consider Factory JCW, personally. You will probably save a lot of $ moving forward if you're considering adding JCW bits - unless you were just looking for JCW bodykit. I am surprised that the Factory JCW doesn't include the bodykit at the upcharge price.

Anyhow good luck with the decision.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:56 AM
Madurodave
2nd Gear
Deals

Can anyone share their purchase experience? Is MINI pretty willing to deal in this environment?

I assume an order is a little harder to deal on versus buying something off of the lot?

I have seen posts of a 10% markup on MINIs and some saying they got the car for $500 over invoice. True of the convertible and an order?

Any feedback is appreciated!

Last edited by Madurodave; 05-05-2010 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:32 AM
Herleman
5th Gear
There are a bunch of Mini convertibles down here and sticker price or a few bucks below. The days of premium markup on Minis appears to be over around here.

If you'd like, I'll check the guys in Orlando to see what they have and what they might think they would go for out the door. You may find that you cvan fly down here and drive home for less than you could buy one elsewhere if there is a $500 premium.

PM me if you need for me to check.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:20 PM
Madurodave
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Herleman
There are a bunch of Mini convertibles down here and sticker price or a few bucks below. The days of premium markup on Minis appears to be over around here.

If you'd like, I'll check the guys in Orlando to see what they have and what they might think they would go for out the door. You may find that you cvan fly down here and drive home for less than you could buy one elsewhere if there is a $500 premium.

PM me if you need for me to check.
What I am looking for is new or CPO, Interchange Yellow Convertible S, with all of the package options at a minimum. Also yellow trim and black bonnet stripes. All season tires. My wife wants Auto, I want manual, she will probably win.

Any feedback would be great!

Quick Reply: R57 Am I crazy to think about this?