R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 Convertible Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 06:18 AM
bionichicken
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convertible Problems?

I have found an 09 convertible (new) but have heard that some convertibles have water problems inside the top. Anyone have problems? Does it make any difference whether you get the black or blue top? Would like to hear from current owners before I go sign the papers. Also instead of buying an 09 which the dealer is still making a profit on .....not much of a profit...should I wait for the new engine and buy a model with it? The US is getting the new engine isn't it?

Old 02-07-2010, 07:02 AM
iamsteve710
4th Gear
I really can't give any MINI specific advice about convertibles, but I've owned ragtops for about 3 decades. In general they require more maintenance $$'s, rattle, cost more to purchase, but once the warm weather sets in IMHO, it's worth it. My only problem with a MINI convertible, is I don't have one!

Old 02-07-2010, 09:21 AM
martinb
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
'Got an '06 and no problems, though there is a wear spot on the rear inner liner that I'll have taken care of before the warranty runs out. Like iamseve710 said, when the weather warms up, there's nothing like having a convertible. I'd thought about getting a convertible for many years and finally did it with the Mini - a full on, every possible option, full aero JCW car in dark silver with dark gray leather. Sweet. And as long as it's not raining here in California, the top is down regardless of temperature. Even if it's in the 30's. It is soooo worth it.

Oh, and I really don't have any rattles to speak of and a twice yearly proper cleaning and fabric treatment of the top takes care of it.

Awesome fun!

(You only go around once in this life.)

Old 02-08-2010, 12:01 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an '09 MINI convertible and like the 3 previous BMW convertibles I have owned the top is tight with no wind or water leaks. I have never had a drop of water enter one of these convertibles.

When you open the door on a BMW or a MINI convertible note that the door window drops down about 1/4" when you open the door. When you close the door the window goes back up about 1/4" and the window is locked in a C-shaped channel for a very tight seal.

Regarding the engine check out the articles at www.motoringfile.com. The modified engine will be on the 2010 made after March and more changes are made on the S than the regular Cooper. The S will get the BMW Valvetronic system that eliminates the need for a throttle plate. The power goes up I think about 8 HP and the part throttle eficiency goes up about 10% I believe.

It is fun to spec out the exact car you want and MINI makes the wait pretty fun. There is also something to be said about buying the second model year of a new model (2009 was the first year of the second generation convertible) but I am very pleased with my '09.

If the deal on the '09 is right you may want to take it. It needs to be a good deal however as you are buying last year's model and the resale/trade value will be less if you try to sell it in the first few years of ownership. If you keep it longer the resale difference will not be as big a deal.

These are fun convertibles. ENJOY!!

Old 02-09-2010, 09:25 AM
Paul
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I have an '09 MCS convertible 6-speed. My 3rd MINI... and IMHO, the best built MINI I've owned to date. It's rattle free (much more so than my '07 MCS, and much much much more than my 05 MCS) and to keep the top squeaks down, I apply silicone lube on the seals every 3 or 4 months. No wear on the top yet either.. and that was with daily opening and closing.

The only issue I have is that I live in Chicago... and I really can't enjoy top down motoring year round

Old 03-03-2010, 04:21 AM
Racer X
1st Gear
I had my second top replaced due to wear issues. My Service Manager told me that they would replace my top, after 9 months. And that I use it too much. He was soo angry that he said that I was wasting the Co.'s time and wouldn't get a warranty with this new top, Yeah go ahead and try it!!!!!! They suggested that, maybe I put towels between the folds so I don't get wear as quick. Funny this is my second Mini and my sixth top. All with the exact wear points. I told them what to do with their towels.
Now I live in CA. and the top goes down three or four times a day. As a matter of fact, MINI just had a contest, Who could keep their top down the longest. And when we ordered both our '05 and '08, BMW had a pop up that made you agreed to drive the car with the top down ninety percent of the time. So give me a break, quit bustin my B@LLs

Old 03-03-2010, 04:49 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
I have an '09 convertible and the only time I have gotten wet is when driving in the rain with the top down...which you can do if you keep the speed above 30 or so. Just plan well so you don't have to stop unless you have something to stop under.