R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 Top has rubspots after 1 week and 500 miles of top down

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 12:48 PM
Derepente
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Rub spots with faded areas 2009 R57

Zanary, I think I have the same issue. How is your satisfaction with the new top? Does it rub at all?
I have the same rub and indent spots that yours had. I keep my top closed when in the garage and parked at work. I have over 327 hrs top down driving. My VIN is 89605. I recieved it in May 09.
If you or anyone has a service bulletin about the rub spots and the need for top replacement, please post those so I can show MINI of Sterling, VA. I am beginning the process to claim this and want all the information I can get.

Here are the pics of my black roof showing the spots (rub spots are happening on both sides). First shot is the driver side, second - the passenger side [note the other wear areas], and third a close up of the dent but doesn't show up well.

Attached Thumbnails Top has rubspots after 1 week and 500 miles of top down-roof-wear-areas-driver-side.jpg   Top has rubspots after 1 week and 500 miles of top down-roof-wear-areas-passenger-side.jpg   Top has rubspots after 1 week and 500 miles of top down-roof-wear-closeup.jpg  

Last edited by Derepente; 07-29-2010 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Add photos from iPhone 3GS-cropped
Old 07-29-2010, 06:50 PM
zanary
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Derepente,

The new top is absolutely perfect, however it's only been about 50 hours so far, but no issues so far. My dealer had no objection to replace it as long as the factory rep for my region gave the approval, which he did.

If you do have a problem, I'll be happy to give you my VIN if that helps your case incase you do get push back from your dealer.

BTW, your rub spots are almost identicial to mine, and mine was a Week 10 build, and I picked it up in April 2009.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:13 PM
Derepente
4th Gear
Thanks for the quick reply ! I plan on seeing the dealer tommorrow for their first look at it. You give me hope that the new top, if all goes well, won't suffer from the mechanical wear of the fabric.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:10 AM
sajacobs
2nd Gear
Help with Rub Spots

Help!! I need the wisdom from NAM. I have rub spots appearing on my 2009 MCS. None are serious but my concern is for the future. The dealership tells me that they are normal and even the tech from Mini USA agrees. Not only is the top getting minor rub spots, but the rubber weather stripping around the top is getting worn down. It's on both sides of the car, but the driver side is the worse. You can see threads of the fabric are broken from rubbing on the weather stripping. I believe when the top locks down there might be too much pressure causing excessive rubbing.

I only have 9000 miles with 113 hours of top down time. I am concerned with time this will get worse, thus I thought it would be smart to start having the dealership document the problem. The dealership tells me there is no way to adjust the tension of the frame going down...so I'm out of luck.

My husband is ready to fight, he's very upset to spend over $30000 on a car and have this issue. But I want to hear from the group, before "killer" tackles the problem. No use fighting a battle that can't be won. I had a 2007 mini covertible and had none of these issues. Is this just my car??? Or are others experiencing the same problem??

Sorry my pictures are not the best. I'm not so good with techinology and picture taking.

Attached Thumbnails Top has rubspots after 1 week and 500 miles of top down-top-down-rub-spots.jpg   Top has rubspots after 1 week and 500 miles of top down-pic-of-back-driver-side.jpg   Top has rubspots after 1 week and 500 miles of top down-passenage-side-rub-spots.jpg  
Old 08-06-2010, 11:43 AM
howie289
2nd Gear
What would you like the dealer to do right now?

My opinion: This doesn't look bad (yet)

Suggestion: Every time you take the car in for service, make sure the dealer makes a note of the top's condition and your concerns.

Wait until car is almost out of warranty and then decide whether you'd like the dealer to replace the top. By then, the problem may be more obvious (and hard for MINI to ignore), there also might be a better fix for it, and the MINI tech will have some experience working on these R57 tops.

Sadly, I do not think anyone offers an extended warranty that covers the top fabric.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:57 AM
sajacobs
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by howie289
What would you like the dealer to do right now?

My opinion: This doesn't look bad (yet)

Suggestion: Every time you take the car in for service, make sure the dealer makes a note of the top's condition and your concerns.

Wait until car is almost out of warranty and then decide whether you'd like the dealer to replace the top. By then, the problem may be more obvious (and hard for MINI to ignore), there also might be a better fix for it, and the MINI tech will have some experience working on these R57 tops.

Sadly, I do not think anyone offers an extended warranty that covers the top fabric.

I really wanted the dealership to readjust the frame or locking mechanism. What has me frustrated (especially my husband) is the dealership is not interested in helping...why???...because it's an issue with all 2009 convertibles. It's like an automatic out for them. So I was trying to find out from the group if others have same problem or if the dealership if BSing me.

I did check about the extended warranty...your right...not covered.

So I have the dealership documenting the problem, so when it gets worse they can't give me the "you never mentioned the problem".

Old 08-06-2010, 12:59 PM
zanary
4th Gear
Originally Posted by sajacobs
Help!! I need the wisdom from NAM. I have rub spots appearing on my 2009 MCS. None are serious but my concern is for the future. The dealership tells me that they are normal and even the tech from Mini USA agrees. Not only is the top getting minor rub spots, but the rubber weather stripping around the top is getting worn down. It's on both sides of the car, but the driver side is the worse. You can see threads of the fabric are broken from rubbing on the weather stripping. I believe when the top locks down there might be too much pressure causing excessive rubbing.

I only have 9000 miles with 113 hours of top down time. I am concerned with time this will get worse, thus I thought it would be smart to start having the dealership document the problem. The dealership tells me there is no way to adjust the tension of the frame going down...so I'm out of luck.

My husband is ready to fight, he's very upset to spend over $30000 on a car and have this issue. But I want to hear from the group, before "killer" tackles the problem. No use fighting a battle that can't be won. I had a 2007 mini covertible and had none of these issues. Is this just my car??? Or are others experiencing the same problem??

Sorry my pictures are not the best. I'm not so good with techinology and picture taking.
So your 2nd and 3rd picture look exactly like what my 2009 looks like. I had my top relaced under warranty due to rub spots that had rubbed through many of the threads. The Factory Rep did agreed with my findings and they replaced the entire top under warranty. However, the same rubber indentation you have in Picture 2 and 3 are exactly what is on mine before and after the top replacement.

One thing I will add is that the replacement top appears to be made from a different thread than my original one.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:27 PM
sajacobs
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by zanary
So your 2nd and 3rd picture look exactly like what my 2009 looks like. I had my top relaced under warranty due to rub spots that had rubbed through many of the threads. The Factory Rep did agreed with my findings and they replaced the entire top under warranty. However, the same rubber indentation you have in Picture 2 and 3 are exactly what is on mine before and after the top replacement.

One thing I will add is that the replacement top appears to be made from a different thread than my original one.
Thanks for the info. I'll just keep monitoring the wear and be a pain in the a$$ if it gets worse. BTW my husband appreciates the input, he's very wary of the dealership so your info was helpful.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:39 PM
Derepente
4th Gear
Rubspots after 400 hrs topless and 19,000 total miles

I finally got the MINI to the dealer. Sorry it's taken so long. The summer was fun and topless, but now I have finally accepted that the MINI needs to go to Hospital.

Since the last post I have logged 400 plus hours topdown driving and 19,000 miles during the vehicles first 16 months. The wear spots (if you compare to others on this thread or in the link above) have gotten a little worse. No actual holes. The service manager and his trainer both agreed that the wear had gotten through the "outer shell".

Mini of Sterling has done "a few of these before". They always get approval before replacement from MINI USA. At first, I was explained, they would look at pictures via internet and send a technician to the dealer. Now, it seems, they no longer send the technician, unless the wear is slight. So it seems that my photos should be obvious evidence that my top has unacceptable wear. If (keeping fingers crossed) my top gets replaced, the new one comes with it's own warranty for 5 years. I still want to verify that, but that was good news when I heard it this morning.

Since I had driven past the mileage mark for the oil service, they chose to do a new one and change the filter. Yes, I had already had an oil change done in May, but that's the new policy (I am pretty sure that was already in place). Other items getting looked at/replaced are:
1 Windshield wipers
2 The chrome ring around the key (finally!!)
3 Brakes are getting looked at as well. The seat belt mechanism for driver and passenger side, getting replaced....never snapped or recoiled back as they should. This is the second time they look at the belts.
4 I asked for the key fob battery to get looked at, but I have since been told it doesn't seem to be defective. I just don't see the range I used to have in the first few months.

So that's the run down. I was told 2 maybe 3 days before I see the MINI. In the mean time, I was given a Cooper S hardtop loaner. The lack of sway is noticeable. I think I'd like to buy a sway bar as my next mod... anyway, I'll update when I get news and the MINI is back home.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Mat J Monk
4th Gear
The top was replaced on mine under warrenty but it had a bit more of a catastrophic failure, it was actually preventing the rear window from rolling completely up. Ironically it happened within a couple of weeks of my reading about this issue here! Thank goodness for NAM, it sure has given me some good information so that I can be on the lookout for problems and get them taken care of ASAP. The dealer in RIC has been pretty good about addressing my issues, I had a top replaced, the HPFP and a windshield which cracked within two weeks of buying SJ.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:39 PM
Derepente
4th Gear
Originally Posted by zanary
... However, the same rubber indentation you have in Picture 2 and 3 are exactly what is on mine before and after the top replacement.

Did you notice if the new top was thicker than the old one? The service manager I spoke with says he noticed that a denim blue top they had in the shop seemed thicker than my black top. Also, I'd like to keep the old one so I can have a back up. I don't think just a thicker top is enough to prevent the rub spots and wear from happening (as you already noticed). So at least when we are out in the no warranty years, that old top could still be used right?

Old 10-02-2010, 03:14 PM
Derepente
4th Gear
Brand New Top, replaced under warranty

Well it was Monday the 27th of September when MINIofSterling finally got our MINI. I wanted to drive it one last weekend with the top down. (I actually picked it up after they had for the initial repairs and took it back when they had the O.K. from MINIUSA to do the replacement Top Work).

They had it for 3 days. Monday to start taking it apart, Tuesday to finish and put the new top on. Wednesday to finish up the replacement and test. I finally got the call that afternoon but couldn't go to the dealer till Thursday morning.

It looks good, like new really. My service Manager was really interested in this job. He let me know that he went back there several times to see when the old top would be completely removed to then check it's thickness vs the new one.

He told me that the new top looks to be of the SAME thickness. I was a little bummed by that news. But other than that, all the work looked good.

I drove the car home and didn't notice any rattling or undue noise. So that's a big thank you to them and a recommendation for anyone in the DC area if you are looking to have this same work done. OH and since this was a high dollar warranty job, I could not keep the old top. It was slated to be sent to the MINIUSA or wherever for "further review".. Hope they do the right thing and learn from this.

So, I have to drive around top closed for "2 weeks" to give the new material time to stretch. Anyone break that rule? I sure am tempted

Last edited by Derepente; 10-02-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:54 PM
johns928
Neutral
Nuvi Holder

Originally Posted by stefspain
After 1 week of top down motoring and 500 miles driving in the car carefully, I discovered that when closing the top , that on the right side there is a spot where the blue color is fading away, looks like the top when folded rubs itself. Anyone experience on a R57 ? I remember that the previous convertible had in the beginning multiple of these tops replaced.
I have not noticed that problem in my Mini with a dark blue top (08 with 57K). But I am interested in your listing as having a Nuvi holder. I would love to get one, can you tell me something about it??

Thanks, John johnnys928@hotmail.com

Old 04-14-2019, 06:51 AM
Angi73
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Convertible Trim (interior piece) screw popped out?

Hello guys...new here! 2012 Mini Cooper S convertible.....just bought this car used and yesterday went to put the top up and heard a “pop” and the middle trim piece is now hanging a little low....it was hanging way down, but I was able to push it back up.

I

See those two parts ....something is missing that I need to purchase...but WHAT.?
took a photo of what looks like where a screw goes, but I can’t make heads or tails of what exactly I need!

Can anyone look at the photos photos and help me?

Thank you in advance!

Old 04-14-2019, 11:42 PM
Scudder44
4th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts
I know it might sound cheecky but can you check the other side? It should be the same part you are looking for.

Old 04-15-2019, 04:17 AM
Angi73
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scudder...Yes I did that first thing....I can see what the part looks like...(somewhat ...the head anyway)...but have no idea what’re to buy it or what it actually is!