R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 Top has rubspots after 1 week and 500 miles of top down

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 02:09 PM
stefspain
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Top has rubspots after 1 week and 500 miles of top down

After 1 week of top down motoring and 500 miles driving in the car carefully, I discovered that when closing the top , that on the right side there is a spot where the blue color is fading away, looks like the top when folded rubs itself. Anyone experience on a R57 ? I remember that the previous convertible had in the beginning multiple of these tops replaced.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:14 PM
zanary
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed that a first, but for me it wasn't fading, as much as dust collects in certain areas that leave what looks like faded marks. I rubbed it off with my hand, and then used a lint brush which works awesome.

I also have the black top, so it's possible that what you're seeing is actual fading or rubbing; hopefully not after just 500 miles.

Is it on both sides, or just on one side? Can you post pictures?

Old 06-30-2009, 02:05 PM
stefspain
1st Gear
I'll post a picture soon when I put the top up? anyway I have on friday an "appointment with my dealer" (after 2 weeks of driving or 700 miles) to finally have my iphone music through the Iphone snapholder !! I let you all know how he reacts ! The weather has been over the 80 F the last 2 weeks her in Belgium and this is for us very exceptional. So I never ran in a convertible for 2 weeks with only the top down !!!

Old 07-03-2009, 06:04 AM
BRGminime
2nd Gear
I just went out to check my top since I have had mine down since receiving it as well and there are rub spots but nothing that looks bad. It is like getting new carpet, there are traffic area that will touch and rub but I'm not too concerned at this point. I did the same and wiped it clean with my hand. You do want to make sure the top is clean and dry before putting it down or bad things could happen. Moisture and dirt are BAD!

Old 07-05-2009, 02:30 PM
stefspain
1st Gear
Pictures rub spots on top : 2 weeks old !!!

Here are the pictures which speak for themselves, both spots are on the right side. I washed the car first time afterwards and now there are less visible but still visible. If the top rubs at this speed , after 6 months it will have holes !!

Attached Thumbnails Top has rubspots after 1 week and 500 miles of top down-img_0463.jpg   Top has rubspots after 1 week and 500 miles of top down-img_0464.jpg   Top has rubspots after 1 week and 500 miles of top down-img_0466.jpg  
Old 07-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Certainly not normal (at least I surely hope not!) What did your dealer say when you took it in Friday?

Old 07-05-2009, 05:10 PM
mullman
2nd Gear
stefspain-

That certainly does NOT look normal.
Consult your dealer.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:05 PM
zanary
4th Gear
I agree with Jeremy and Mullman, that is not normal. I don't know if you've been to the dealer, but I'd check one thing that I came across last week. As I was loading stuff in the boot, I raised the Convertible top and the shelf to put in some large stuff that would not normally fit the small boot opening. In doing so, I also tossed in some small item which appeared to be round. When I wasn't looking, those items had rolled in the spare where the convertible arm top would normally occupy when you're topless. I cought that at home, when I was unloading the items from the boot.

It's just a guess, but that rub may be caused by something that may be in that area. From the pictures, it looks like you're only experiencing the rubbing and/or discoloration on the side near the seams. Maybe something rolled in there?

Old 07-05-2009, 09:10 PM
zanary
4th Gear
Hmm, after I wrote that, I remember reading a bulletin about hard contact for the convertible top when it's open. I went back to the system, and captured two Mini Technical Service noticed that the dealers received in May.

I don't think the first one applies, but the second one is really about Noises when the top of down, but it does say

"...Hard contact between areas of the convertible top that have some movement when in the open position, caused by tight tolerances or incorrect adjustments..."

I'm wondering if this hard contact could be cauisng the rubbing/dis-coloration of your top you're seeing.

See the Word 2003 document I attached below. If you haven't been to your dealer, ask them about that Technical Bulletin as well. Maybe it's somewhat related.

Attached Files

Last edited by zanary; 07-05-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:43 PM
ngweibing
6th Gear
its hapen to alot of mini....its from rubbign against each other when folded down...i put a felt cloth between them so thta the rubbing is reduced

Old 07-09-2009, 01:16 PM
stefspain
1st Gear
Top with rub spots

While I care very much about my cars, I refuse to put a cloth between the layers of the top. It means I can not open the top while driving (one of the reasons selling my VW Eos !) and the car costs a fortune for lets admit a small car ! So if BMW (sorry Mini) wants premium prices, they need to deliver and I expect a premium product. But I got a call from the dealer that they ordered a new top as the factory wants asap my damaged top back to see if it's any structural problem. They sounded to me quite nervous so let's see when they ask the car back. Besides this the snap holder for the iphone does not work and the garmin nuvi holder has now finally arrived , so I count I will have a replacement car for a week to fix all 3 problems ! The car has not even a 1000 miles !
Stef

Old 07-12-2009, 12:01 PM
stefspain
1st Gear
Dealer will send back top to the factory as they might think it is a structural problem on the production line. Dealer was referring to similar problem as with the R52 model. Rub problem is mainly on passenger side but also the driver side has it but in a minor matter. On the expense of Mini they will replace top. I wonder if they will take the whole thing of the car o only the upper layer ? Any ideas ? Car will as such go in for a week for replacing top, replacing iphone snapholder, and finally installing nuvi holder ! Otherwise car drives terrific !!

Old 07-13-2009, 04:31 PM
mullman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by stefspain
While I care very much about my cars, I refuse to put a cloth between the layers of the top. It means I can not open the top while driving (one of the reasons selling my VW Eos !) and the car costs a fortune for lets admit a small car !
Stef, I do agree.
Good Luck, and I greatly look forward to hearing positive [hopefully] future developments.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:39 PM
zanary
4th Gear
I was just surfing through REALOEM, and I found this. Oouch. I guess if you have any problems with the top, get it fix under warranty, otherwise it could be big $$$.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...04&hg=54&fg=10

Old 07-20-2009, 11:38 AM
stefspain
1st Gear
Car goes in next wednesday , still no answer to replace top ! But spots appear now also on the driver'side. Indeed we had last week the top open for more than 7 days. I usually close top over the weekend when I am sure the car won't be driven.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:45 PM
stefspain
1st Gear
Known problem : top will be replaced

Car has been with the dealer and has been inspected by a "Puma" expert and a rep from the factory. The problem is known and they will replace the top but the tops now being produced still have the same fault. So they are working on it, first to get the cars on the production line fixed and then calling the affected ones back. The whole top , mechanism, inner liner and soft top will be replaced before .... end of the year. So looks to be again the same issue as they had with the R53 in its early days.

Anyone else here on the forum with these rubspots on the top ?

Old 08-19-2009, 01:49 PM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stefspain
So looks to be again the same issue as they had with the R53 in its early days.

Anyone else here on the forum with these rubspots on the top ?
...with the R52 in its early days.

My top is showing no signs of wear after 1 month, 800 miles, 20+ hours topless.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:50 AM
koveras
2nd Gear
My top isnt experiencing discoloration like that, but I have several spots where the fuzziness has been rubbed off after 4 months of ownership. It's visible from a distance and im wondering if it will get any worse. Seems several new ones, though smaller, have popped up lately as well.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:47 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
My top stays down only until it is needed. No problems at all with 33K miles. I make it a point to keep it scrupulously clean and dry. Do not neglect to regularly use a good quality cleaner like RaggTopp on the fabric. Cleaning would not have mitigated a production fault but it is a good habit to get into when you get your new top.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:03 PM
zanary
4th Gear
So, I'm bringing this topic back to light becuase my top has been experiencing rub marks around the 200 hour mark of topless driving.

When I took my R57 to the dealership for the 15,000 service (on them of course), I mentioned the top rub marks and suggested that the marks were caused by rubbing while topless as the rub spots are identical but mirror images of themselves and on both sides. The passenger one has also started to frey a bit.

The regional manager looked at it today, and agreed with my findings, so my top is being replaced (one will be ordered on Monday).

If you're curious or if it helps anyone else out there, here are some pictures of my top with the rub marks. Pictures taken with an iPhone 3GS

NOTE, My Mini was a 2009 Mini Cooper "S". It was a week 10 Build, so very early on in the manufacturing process.

Drivers Side (2 pictures)

Passenger's Side (2 pictures)

Old 02-21-2010, 05:31 PM
Mead
Neutral
Originally Posted by zanary

NOTE, My Mini was a 2009 Mini Cooper "S". It was a week 10 Build, so very early on in the manufacturing process.
I'm about to look at an 09 on the lot, how can you what week it's built?

btw I'll look for the build date, but is there a good cut off date?

Old 02-21-2010, 05:54 PM
zanary
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mead
I'm about to look at an 09 on the lot, how can you what week it's built?

btw I'll look for the build date, but is there a good cut off date?
The dealer can run the VIN and tell you when it was built. For comparison sakes, my VIN ends in 88178, and one of the Mini's that was classified as a launch vehicle (also an Interchange Yellow), had a VIN ending in 88045. The launch Mini's were I think a week 4 to 6, but I can't be sure.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:25 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
The VIN plaque on the door jamb has the build month (although not the week)

Old 02-21-2010, 07:58 PM
Mead
Neutral
Originally Posted by rkw
The VIN plaque on the door jamb has the build month (although not the week)
Yes, thanks, I think every door jam plaque has a build date and counting backwards I guess we can figure out the build week... now the sixty four thousand dollar question... do later build dates equate to less problems ?

Old 02-21-2010, 08:02 PM
Mead
Neutral
Originally Posted by zanary
The dealer can run the VIN and tell you when it was built. For comparison sakes, my VIN ends in 88178, and one of the Mini's that was classified as a launch vehicle (also an Interchange Yellow), had a VIN ending in 88045. The launch Mini's were I think a week 4 to 6, but I can't be sure.
Hey thanks for your answer... I am considering a left over 09 vert, but dang it these problems are design flaws, I'm scared...

Quick Reply: R57 Top has rubspots after 1 week and 500 miles of top down