R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 Boot on 2009 Cabrio won't open from Key

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 02:45 PM
sunnygirl
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boot on 2009 Cabrio won't open from Key

The boot release on the key fob stopped working. I am able to open the boot from the inside using the emergency release, but it doesn't unlock or open otherwise. It also seems like there is a little "slop" in the emergency release cable.

Is there something I'm missing? I made sure the top is fully closed and that the platform over the boot is fully seated/stowed. Is there some valet setting? OR some way to reset the emergency release?

Calling the dealer, will let you know what they say.

sunnygirl

Old 04-30-2009, 10:08 PM
zanary
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you holding down the unlock button on the fob long enough? I tested mine out this evening, and also found this section in the owner's manual.

Attached Thumbnails Boot on 2009 Cabrio won't open from Key-bootcover.jpg  
Old 05-01-2009, 02:41 PM
sunnygirl
1st Gear
Originally Posted by zanary
Are you holding down the unlock button on the fob long enough? I tested mine out this evening, and also found this section in the owner's manual.
Yeah, I re-read the manual too, and you can hold the button down forever and it doesn't make a difference.

I'm taking her into the dealer next week.

sunnygirl

Old 05-01-2009, 09:40 PM
zanary
4th Gear
Originally Posted by sunnygirl
Yeah, I re-read the manual too, and you can hold the button down forever and it doesn't make a difference.

I'm taking her into the dealer next week.

sunnygirl
Funny thing is that when I tried it tonight, my boot won't open either. I'll test it out tomorrow once more.

Weird.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:54 PM
zanary
4th Gear
So, what's the verdict from your dealer? I guess I must have been doing something wrong becuase it started working a few hours after I posted.

I also checked the emergency release cable, and mine also has some "slop" in the cable as well.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:04 PM
sunnygirl
1st Gear
Originally Posted by zanary
So, what's the verdict from your dealer? I guess I must have been doing something wrong becuase it started working a few hours after I posted.

I also checked the emergency release cable, and mine also has some "slop" in the cable as well.
No verdict yet. I was supposed to take her in WED, but something came up....rescheduled for next week. Mine still won't open.....

Old 05-12-2009, 10:17 AM
BRGminime
2nd Gear
Boot release secret code!

To open the boot witht e remote you have to press the door unlock three times and the the boot release twice. then you have to walk around the mini four times in a counter-clockwise direction. Then it will open. if that does not work I have a pry bar that you can carry in your back seat!

I'll be curious to hear what fixes this situation. Good luck!

Old 05-14-2009, 02:28 PM
sunnygirl
1st Gear
the verdict is in

Originally Posted by sunnygirl
No verdict yet.
The dealer said that a couple of wires were abraided/cut. They replaced and "protected" them, not sure exactly what they meant by that. I'll look closer later and see if I can see anything, but my boot unlocks fine now.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:41 PM
rulezz22
1st Gear
Hey, Zanary,
Did you figure out remote boot unlock operation? I think mine just goes in to the really loud car alarm mode if I hold the button long enough...

Old 01-19-2010, 09:12 PM
zanary
4th Gear
So based on my testing, if I hold the boot button down long enough the alarm goes off in panic mode. If I press quickly, depending on if the vehicle is locked or not, it will pop open the boot.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:39 PM
rulezz22
1st Gear
I've figured it out. I guess you have to be quite persice on timing. Anything less than a second and a half would not open the lock and anything longer than a couple of seconds would turn on "panic" mode. Also, you have to make sure you have both doors unlocked first.
Our other cars have dedicated panic buttons, so I've got used to just holding the "trunk release" button until it clicks . Not in this case... A bit over board for my tastes.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:40 AM
furg
1st Gear
I've been having problems with the boot opening since I got my car in May of last year. I am on the 3rd boot latch, water is getting in and corroding the wires. My trunk will open anytime, anywhere, while sitting at a stop light, pulling into the garage, but when I want to open it, nope, nothing. I usually have to pull the cord from the inside. So all of you who are having a hard time opening your boot might want to take it to the dealer and have them check your boot latch. First time I took it, it was missing a washer or gasket. It then worked for several months. Stop working so I went back to the dealer, put a whole new latching system on it. Well that worked all of about a week till it rained again. They worked on it yesterday and we will see what happens in the next week or so.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:23 PM
NotPortlyNJ
2nd Gear
OK, resurrecting this. It seems lately my boot has been misbehaving. Sometimes even when the doors are unlocked, the boot won't open using the latch at the boot (idling at a building and didn't want to turn off, take out the key fob, and use the remote, but had to anyway). Other times, after putting something in the boot and unlocking the doors, the boot would open again on its own.

I'll have to call my dealer.