R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Official Oxygen Blue Owners Club

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 07:52 AM
wannab drivin
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, I do like the white wheels, blainestang!
tedswoods, I did not get snows, just the all-seasons. I think a wider tire would do better. These are like teeny little trailer tires! But I do OK if it's plowed pretty well, which it is around here as I live in the city limits. Maybe next year I'll spring for snows and go a little bigger and wider at the same time.
Here's a picture this morning before we shoveled out:
No need to white out the license tag!

And just for fun:
Baxter is a total clown in the snow. He runs laps and figure 8's around the yard. Good Boy!

Old 01-19-2009, 08:47 AM
CooperDreams
2nd Gear
wannab, those pictures are awesome! Being a Texas girl, I can count the number of times I've seen snow on one hand!

Blainestang, your pictures looked great too...I love how this color changes with the light.

I just found out from my MA that my MC is sailing on the Sierra Nevada and due in Charleston on the 29th! It should be here by Valentine's Day after all!!

Old 01-19-2009, 11:28 AM
wannab drivin
3rd Gear
That'll make a nice Valentine's Day present, Cooper Dreams!

I just went out for a joy ride. I've had my Mini since 12/24 and I hadn't even hit 800 miles yet! So I just went randomly driving around for about 90 minutes to put some miles on. All the highways are bare here and the secondary roads are pretty well plowed and the Mini did fine.
I love this little car!

Old 01-19-2009, 12:19 PM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by CooperDreams
Blainestang, your pictures looked great too...I love how this color changes with the light.
Thanks... and yeah, it's a very interesting color that way.

Originally Posted by wannab drivin
I just went out for a joy ride. I've had my Mini since 12/24 and I hadn't even hit 800 miles yet!
What!?!

Not acceptable! You need to be driving your MINI more!

Our MINI crossed 2,000 miles this weekend, and we picked it up on the 29th.

I guess that picture of a MINI-shaped pile of snow is a pretty good excuse, though.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:28 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They're predicting 2-6" here in Charlotte tonight and tomorrow.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:47 PM
wannab drivin
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by OXYBLUECOOP
They're predicting 2-6" here in Charlotte tonight and tomorrow.
UhOh, does that mean everything shuts down for a couple days and the grocery store shelves are picked clean?

Old 01-19-2009, 04:08 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
I usually spend winter and spring in DC where snow is the norm but here in Charlotte the folks claim snow is a rarity.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:21 PM
tedswoods
5th Gear
Great pics Blainestang and wannab! I can't decide which I like better--the MINIs or Baxter. I love that picture of him!

Hey, I got to drive my MINI today--snow and all. I love it. Many in WNY are having issues with the MINI running at 'half-power' but it seems to be mostly an "S" thing. Mine's been running great. It does quite well in the snow (one of my biggest hand-wringers before ordering). Blainestang, THAT'S what looks wrong in your pictures. No Snow! wannab, your MINI looks C-O-L-D up there in Maine! Even going incognito as it is, we can tell it's still a MINI.

I've always tolerated, even liked winter, but this year, I must say I'm ready for spring and performance tires and twisty roads!

Old 01-22-2009, 07:45 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well Gang...Molly will have 10,000 miles on her as of tomorrow AM. I can't decide if I'm Happy or Sad, she's my Baby and I don't want her to grow up!!
Already have her next Oil Change scheduled (April 17th), will also be replacing the Micron Filter due to Hubby's allergies.

I'm amazed everyday at how great she handles, how quick she "get's up and goes", and how much L<3VE I have for her!!

Motor On my fellow OB/W/B Pals!!

Old 01-22-2009, 08:03 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Managed to get one pic of the snow this last Tuesday visiting family.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:21 PM
wannab drivin
3rd Gear
Somewhere I have pictures of about that same amount of snow in Charleston, SC. I lived there for 5 years and one year we got a dusting two days in a row. School was canceled, everything was closed down, stores were out of bread, water and milk, and they had advisories telling people to stay off the roads.
I grew up in New England so I was .
And here I am, back in snow country asking myself why.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:56 AM
tedswoods
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
Well Gang...Molly will have 10,000 miles on her as of tomorrow AM. I can't decide if I'm Happy or Sad, she's my Baby and I don't want her to grow up!!
I hear ya RJ! I have just over 10,000 miles on mine now too. Wanted to celebrate with a wash for it yesterday. They forecast 27 degrees and it went over 40. Unfortunately, I had to make a couple of drives (that wasn't the unfortunate part) and didn't have time to wash it before the temp started dropping again. Today, it's about 10 degrees and not predicted to go back up anytime soon. Bummer...

Old 01-24-2009, 01:19 PM
wannab drivin
3rd Gear
I couldn't stand the salt and dirt so today I took Ethel/Marge/Lucy/Edith/Mabel/Wilma/Daphne/Abigail/Bessie (yes, I'm pretty sure that's her name; OK I could use some help! ) to a do-it-yourself carwash then went for a nice drive. I'm at about 950 miles. Only another 300 of break-in miles! I know, I know, it should take anyone this long to put on the first 1250 miles!

So what do you other winter MINI drivers do for carwashes in the winter? The do-it-yourself'rs (the ones that you pull into a booth and dump quarters in to use the power hose) get the salt off, but they don't really clean the car. I squeaked today's in at about 27 degrees. It's supposed to drop to single digits tonight. Makes it awfully difficult to keep my new girl clean and looking good.

Last edited by wannab drivin; 01-24-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:26 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
So what do you other winter MINI drivers do for carwashes in the winter? The do-it-yourself'rs (the ones that you pull into a booth and dump quarters in to use the power hose) get the salt off, but they don't really clean the car. I squeaked today's in at about 27 degrees. It's supposed to drop to single digits tonight. Makes it awfully difficult to keep my new girl clean and looking good.
Griot's Garage (www.griotsgarage.com) has a Spray-On Car Wash, that's what I'm using, though our Winter's don't get as cold as yours. Not sure if you'll have freezing problems with this stuff or not. But it does keep Molly clean and BEAUTIFUL!!

Old 01-24-2009, 11:39 PM
Rainforest_Elf
2nd Gear
Went driving around Portland again today. Got Dr. Horrible up to 333 miles. Slow going, really. I need to drive him up to the coast or something, otherwise it'll be another 4 months before I'm done with the break in period.

What was REALLY odd today was as my friend and I were at a stop light, a hot pink Zapcar Zebra pulled up right next to us. That thing only has 3 wheels!!!! And I thought my Mini stuck out like a sore thumb!

PS. wannab drivin, your Mini looks like a Lucy, to me

Old 01-25-2009, 02:56 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It was one of those days. I went to my normal hole-in-the-wall where I always eat. I got a great parking spot...both for my MINI, and for me at a table where I could see it sitting there. Then it happened....one of those magic moments...I fell in love all over again!!!!! Of all the MINIs that have ever come out of Plant Oxford....this one was truly destined to be mine!! I love OB.....I love it w/ white trim....I love my R56 interior....I love how the Cooper engine runs....I love all the functions of the buttons and gadgets.....I love the wheels....I love the R56 body styling. It...is....absolutely....perfect (for me). And.....the OBC sits at 45.8 mpg after driving around town for a few days. How can it get any better? Yes, I suppose I could be counted as a satisfied customer....please pass a survey. I got this car in 5/07...16K miles now. This can't be mere infatuation.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:38 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
It was one of those days. I went to my normal hole-in-the-wall where I always eat. I got a great parking spot...both for my MINI, and for me at a table where I could see it sitting there. Then it happened....one of those magic moments...I fell in love all over again!!!!! Of all the MINIs that have ever come out of Plant Oxford....this one was truly destined to be mine!! I love OB.....I love it w/ white trim....I love my R56 interior....I love how the Cooper engine runs....I love all the functions of the buttons and gadgets.....I love the wheels....I love the R56 body styling. It...is....absolutely....perfect (for me). And.....the OBC sits at 45.8 mpg after driving around town for a few days. How can it get any better? Yes, I suppose I could be counted as a satisfied customer....please pass a survey. I got this car in 5/07...16K miles now. This can't be mere infatuation.
+1

Old 01-25-2009, 06:51 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Got a GPS for Molly (Garmin 265T), OK it's for ME, but don't tell her.

Not the TotL I wanted, but I couldn't see spending the $$ right now. If I can convince Hubby that these things are a "must have", then I'll give him mine and go and buy the one I really wanted.

We pass by ZapCar on mornings when we have to go side streets on our commute. They've got a pretty cool selection, we haven't stopped in to take a look, but I'm betting they will have a display at the Portland Auto Show the Weekend of February 5th. We'll have to check them out then.

Woke up to snow on the ground this AM, looks like we've moved WA to the East Coast!!

Old 01-29-2009, 02:29 PM
tedswoods
5th Gear
Hey, hey fellow OBers! We made it through another storm with just some snow and wind. Counting our lucky stars we didn't get the ice that some further south got. Hey--I finally got a chance to hose off the MINI the other day--I can tell it's that beautiful OB that gokartride just loves! And it still runs like a top. I've been fortunate to be trouble-free! It really has changed my perspective about going to work (I freelance so I travel quite bit in the region). Tomorrow, I have a meeting about an hour from here. Great--another MINI adventure coming up! Hoping to take Ted the terrier to MINIs on Top this spring...something to dream about on these cold winter nights...

Hope everyone's doing well. Take good care of those OxyBlues...

Old 01-29-2009, 03:26 PM
wannab drivin
3rd Gear
We got snow topped off with freezing rain yesterday and last night. They predicted 12-19" and we ended up with about 6" topped off with another 1/2" of ice.
It's getting old and I am looking forward to spring and summer when my OB will stay clean for more than 10 minutes and I can try out that sunroof.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:03 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
I do feel sorry for you Easterners...NOT!! jk
I was born in the UP of MI and though I left when I was 2, I still consider MI Home. But I'm glad I'm not having to brave the awful weather that's going on right now. We complain that it's COLD and snowy for a total of a week, so far. It has been an unusual winter, but only 7 Weeks left!!

Old 01-30-2009, 05:24 PM
wannab drivin
3rd Gear
I think another OB/W MINI passed me on my way home tonight. I was in traffic on a main street near my house and was behind a big SUV and it was just starting to get dark and most cars around here these days are dirty, as was this one, so I only caught a quick glimpse. It's only the second OB I have seen other than my own.
For a brief moment I wanted to stalk it.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:40 PM
tedswoods
5th Gear
For a brief moment I wanted to stalk it.
Ruh-roh...I've actually done that . Well, it wasn't my fault...

There I was, out in the middle of almost nowhere, and this OB/W MINI, just like mine except striped, passes in front of me at a T - intersection where I was waiting to turn. I DID stalk 'em. They were steppin' on it or didn't see me (or thought my stalkng was more malicious than intended). I had to meet some folks, so I turned around after a couple minutes. It's funny, the places where I've seen others of my ilk were little holes-in-the-wall kinda places. Whoda thunk I'd see a MINI there??? ('Course, I was there too so maybe it makes all the sense in the world.)

Old 02-05-2009, 07:53 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Was it You??

On our way to work Tuesday Morning (7:45AMish), my Husband says "there we go"...I'm like "what"??

An OB/W (OR Plates) was turning right on to I-84 Westbound. I was to busy keeping us going straight and on time. We don't take the city streets that often, but our normal freeway entrance was a bit busy so we take city streets when needed.

Hope I didn't offend you by not waving, usually I wave, honk, flash my lights, my Husband gets pretty embarassed. I don't care!!

Old 02-05-2009, 08:26 PM
tedswoods
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
...usually I wave, honk, flash my lights, my Husband gets pretty embarassed. I don't care!!
I had one of those encounters last week--made me smile. A CR/W passed me and gave me quite the light show. Tonight I was fortunate enough to drive my MINI over the same turf, about the same time. I was all prepared to flash lights and carry on in case the CR was a commuter car, but alas...no sighting.

Oh well...still a good day. I got to drive the MINI .

Quick Reply: R56 Official Oxygen Blue Owners Club