R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Things you didn't know about your R56 MINI

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 02:21 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The increase or decrease is not always exactly 1 MPH. There are times that I set the cruise and it winds up 1 MPH over or under the speed I want. So I hit increase, and it goes up by 2. Decrease drops it by 2 again. I can disengage cruise and re-set again, and it'll go to the speed I want.

It's not always the same speed that does that, either. And I have found that when it does that, several single pushes will go 1 MPH. Just that one speed gets skipped.

I think they're bumping it by just over 1 MPH for some reason, and the display is just showing you a rounded version. (Maybe it's 0.5 km/h?)

Old 09-14-2015, 10:29 PM
MiniLes
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That I would love my car so much after 5 years even if it's giving me some minor problem. So fun to drive!!!

Old 07-18-2016, 09:20 AM
GreenMiniCooperS
Neutral
On the newer minis, not sure what year it starts, if you go to the passenger airbag and press on it it should open to a secret compartment.

Old 07-19-2016, 04:25 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMiniCooperS
On the newer minis, not sure what year it starts, if you go to the passenger airbag and press on it it should open to a secret compartment.
2007-2015. (Excluding countryman and paceman. Also, convertible didn't get it until the R57 model came out.) Removed in 2016.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:57 AM
scottselk
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have kind of a comical one, I didn't know my Mini could play ring toss. a couple months ago my passenger headlight ring came off and it hooked on the passenger mirror at about 40 MPH. I slowed down about 10 MPH and was able to remove it without stopping even though I was the only one in the car.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:32 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by scottselk
I have kind of a comical one, I didn't know my Mini could play ring toss. a couple months ago my passenger headlight ring came off and it hooked on the passenger mirror at about 40 MPH. I slowed down about 10 MPH and was able to remove it without stopping even though I was the only one in the car.
That's hilarious!

Old 07-29-2016, 09:15 PM
CornishMini
Neutral
Bimmers and Beemers

Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Only if you go way back with the marque. We had a pumpkin orange 2002, back in the days...

Actually, it was the Yuppies that started "Beemer."
Actually...

Bimmers are cars, beemers are motorcycles. (not because of yuppies - who have/had no ability as motorcyclists)

BMW is that airplane-engines-then-motorcycles-then-cars company with the stylized whirling propeller as its logo (in the state colors of Bavaria).

My newest beemer is from 1993.

Cheers...

Old 07-30-2016, 04:36 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by CornishMini
Actually...

Bimmers are cars, beemers are motorcycles. (not because of yuppies - who have/had no ability as motorcyclists)

BMW is that airplane-engines-then-motorcycles-then-cars company with the stylized whirling propeller as its logo (in the state colors of Bavaria).

My newest beemer is from 1993.

Cheers...
That bimmer **** is Only in America I refuse to participate
And the propeller thing is fasle

Old 08-02-2016, 04:45 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Interesting, I didn't know the "roundel==propeller" thing was false!

Wikipedia agrees with you, BTW. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW#Roundel_logo

They used it as a propeller in advertising shortly after adopting the roundel, but it wasn't originally one.

Old 09-10-2016, 03:25 PM
D1QuickSilver
2nd Gear
Just wanted to thank you all for sharing.

I'm a new owner of an 07 S and I've been reading this thread, on page 30 now. Very useful.

Thanks again.

Old 09-11-2016, 12:55 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Things you didn't know about your R56...if you sell it, it'll haunt your dreams until you buy another one.

On a side note, you'll potentially have nightmares that if you don't get another one quickly enough, they'll replace it with something bigger, heavier and less nimble, potentially killing your hopes and dreams. Yup, it happens.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:24 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Precisely.

Originally Posted by NJ Mini
Things you didn't know about your R56...if you sell it, it'll haunt your dreams until you buy another one.

On a side note, you'll potentially have nightmares that if you don't get another one quickly enough, they'll replace it with something bigger, heavier and less nimble, potentially killing your hopes and dreams. Yup, it happens.

No more bigger MINI's! My first was (and is) an R56S. I long for an R53S. No desire for an F56S. Too big, too far away from the tenets of MINI. All of the quirky stuff is gone with the F56 etc. Sorry, but for me, the F-series lost it. Too mainstream, none of the MINI character. If my passenger can easily find the window switch, and also NOT ask me why the speedo is in the center of that dash, all the charm that the MINI had is LOST. It's about being different. NOT the same.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:48 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by NJ Mini

Wow, this could not be more accurate for me. Sold my 08 S, drove a 2010 Audi A4 manual for a while and a 135i convertible, but I still was drawn back to an R56. And a JCW no less and I wouldn't choose anything else.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:09 AM
D1QuickSilver
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by renchjeep
No more bigger MINI's! My first was (and is) an R56S. I long for an R53S. No desire for an F56S. Too big, too far away from the tenets of MINI. All of the quirky stuff is gone with the F56 etc. Sorry, but for me, the F-series lost it. Too mainstream, none of the MINI character. If my passenger can easily find the window switch, and also NOT ask me why the speedo is in the center of that dash, all the charm that the MINI had is LOST. It's about being different. NOT the same.
I've been into classic Minis for over 20 years. Have had many Minis and even a Moke.

When the new Mini came out it was good news and I wanted one.

It's a shame what has happened to the brand in terms of heft.

Like you I'm searching for an unmolested R53S and will never buy any of the newer ones.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:43 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
D1, I would LOVE an original Mini, but they seem so hard to get nowadays in decent condition. Granted, my 2011 R56S is a bit of a compromise, and after hearing the supercharger whine of an R53S, I need to have one of those! Just glad that I stepped into MINI before the F series. Too big, too heavy, lost all of the charm. I am sad to see MINI go mainstream. Just so unbecoming of such a "different" marque.

Old 10-16-2016, 06:24 PM
CornishMini
Neutral
Charming

Originally Posted by mega72
That bimmer **** is Only in America I refuse to participate
And the propeller thing is fasle
Hundreds of nice people here, and I get this *sshat bringing childish foolishness.

Cheers to the rest of you.

Old 10-16-2016, 06:44 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by CornishMini
Hundreds of nice people here, and I get this *sshat bringing childish foolishness.

Cheers to the rest of you.
you bumped this thread to call me an *sshat because I corrected something, and it's your second post on the forum. Perhaps you should look in the mirror and take some time to self reflect

propeller has nothing to do with the bmw logo, and bimmer is an american thing

Last edited by MrBlah; 10-17-2016 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:44 AM
isamin
4th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Press on the panel above your glovebox to reveal your secret compartment.

ISAMIN

Old 10-21-2016, 01:00 PM
gloriousgabe
Neutral
I wanted to add a few things I didn't find out till about a year of driving my R56.
1. In the glovebox there is a vent that you can open or close to keep things cool.
2. You can roll up the windows with the key by locking the car from outside and holding the key in the locked position. (VERY USEFUL WHEN CLOSING DOOR AND WINDOW DOES NOT INCH UP)
3. You can roll down the windows and open the sunroof remotely by first unlocking the car, then click the unlock button 3x and hold it on the 3rd press. Wait a second and the windows will roll down and sun roof opens. (You have to hold the button and all doors must be closed.)
4. The brightness adjuster in the Tach controls brightness of all interior lights. (Mood lights, tach and speedo, as well as lower climate control lights).
5. Finally figured out the pathway lighting (just turn engine off remove fob and flash the the brights once, they will stay on and you can get out and lock the car. They turn off in a few seconds)
Hope this is useful for someone!!

The following users liked this post:
Chicknminis (02-15-2018)
Old 10-22-2016, 09:19 AM
alan.dg
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gloriousgabe
2. You can roll up the windows with the key by locking the car from outside and holding the key in the locked position. (VERY USEFUL WHEN CLOSING DOOR AND WINDOW DOES NOT INCH UP)
It's possible that a previous owner had it coded to do this. I know it's possible, but I don't believe this has ever been enabled by default, due to safety concerns. I just tried it on my 2013 and it didn't work. Consider yourself lucky!

Old 10-22-2016, 09:22 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by alan.dg
It's possible that a previous owner had it coded to do this. I know it's possible, but I don't believe this has ever been enabled by default, due to safety concerns. I just tried it on my 2013 and it didn't work. Consider yourself lucky!
Key in the door to lock position. Yes you can close windows.
But to do it on the lock button on the key itself. That's when u need coding.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:42 AM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
my 2012 cms all4 will shut the windows by using the key in the drivers door, my salesman showed me when i took delivery

but better than that, i purchased the carly app and used it to program the lock button on the key fob to close the windows (among a lot of other programming options)

carly app can also read/reset emls and reset service reminders

mycarly.com

Old 10-23-2016, 11:32 AM
James3370
1st Gear
I didn't know just how much damn fun they are just to drive LOL

also, right after I got mine, I posted on my Facebook -

"What's the the best thing about having a Mini?? That there are soooo many aftermarket things to personalize/upgrade it

What's the worse thing about having a Mini?? That there are soooo many aftermarket things to personalize/upgrade it "

Old 10-23-2016, 10:06 PM
gloriousgabe
Neutral
Originally Posted by alan.dg
As far as I know I bought it 100% stock. You have to first step out of the vehicle and make sure to leave the windows down and shut all doors. Second step is to remove the metal key from the fob. Last step is to insert the key into the lock and turn to the right and hold, keep holding till all windows are up. (This also works the other way around "unlock the car and hold windows will roll down")

I hope this helps! See you on the road!

Old 11-21-2017, 08:11 AM
BlueCooperS
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've found that some of my MP3s on a USB stick play at a volume that's just too low even though I crank the volume. I don't have a problem like this on the R53, but I replaced that head unit with a Kenwood.

Quick Reply: R56 Things you didn't know about your R56 MINI