R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 NAM Test Drive and Review of the R56

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 08:20 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
NAM Test Drive and Review of the R56

North American Motoring Test Drive and Review of the R56
by
David Bunting

LET’S SKIP TO THE CONCLUSIONS

For those of you that like to skip to the end to read the conclusions first, I’ll save you the time:
  1. The R56 deserves the title “go kart like handling” every bit as much as its predecessor.
  2. Due to the improvements to the interior, suspension, and rear storage, the R56 is more livable on a daily basis than the R50/R53.

LET’S REFLECT

This past weekend I drove out to Arizona in my 2006 MINI COOPER for the launch of the 2007 COOPER and COOPER S. On the drive out, I tried to reflect on my five years of MINI ownership and the many achievements MINI has had in the U.S. during that time. Back in 2002, BMW and MINI were not just launching a new small car, they were launching a modern day version of an icon. Not only was the launch of the first MINI a runaway success, to the point where MINIUSA wound up selling on the order of 2.5 times their original sales estimates, but MINI fundamentally altered the perception of what small cars could be in the United States.

LET’S MAKE A GOOD FIRST IMPRESSION

Driving up to the hotel, I saw my first R56, a sparkling silver/white Cooper. It looked every bit of what an evolution of the current car should. Upon taking some time to look at that car and the other parked around the hotel grounds, I was rapidly warming up to the exterior of the R56.

After asking around a bit about getting a car to photograph in another setting, I was able to get access to a couple of R56 COOPERs to move around on the hotel grounds. Upon sitting in the R56 for the first time, I was very impressed with the new seats. The higher quality of the interior materials was also easy to spot. The wood dash; was real wood. The brushed aluminum; was real aluminum (nothing like the painted plastic representation of metal we got in 2002 with the alloy patina dash). The new telescoping steering wheel felt familiar, but it was nice to be able to finally position it slightly to feel “just right”.

As first impressions go, I was feeling very good about the new MINI, but a real drive would have to wait until the following day.

LET’S MOTOR

Fortunately, the morning came quickly (staying up until 2 AM with friends will do that). After a quick breakfast it was time to pair up and then request a car for the morning’s drive. After doing a bit of checking into what was available, Gabe and I managed to get a Sparkling Silver / Black manual R56 COOPER S with the Red Lounge Leather interior. After getting things sorted, we hit the road for a drive through the city, out onto the highway, and eventually onto some fun two lane roads in the hills North East of Scottsdale, before finishing at the raceway where MINI had an autocross, road course, and drag strip available for testing of the R56.

Throughout the day, the one improvement that stood out for me as being the most significant was the interior. Earlier this week, I shared my impressions of the R56 Interior on MotoringFile. For now I’d like to recommend that you read that article and then if you have questions, feel free to post them on either site and I’ll do my best to answer them.

One thing that every R56 MINI owner should add to their pre-flight checklist is pressing the sport button. It has a pronounced effect on the throttle responsiveness and the weighting of the steering. In normal mode, the throttle could be depressed nearly an inch before much happened and the steering was both lightly weighted and less sensitive to inputs. Once that Sport Button was pushed however, the car really came alive. The throttle would respond as soon as the pedal was touched, and the steering weighting changed and became more responsive. While I could foresee times where it would be good to be in the un-sporty mode, my own take was that 95% of the time sport mode was probably the mode I’d have the car in if I owned one.

Cabin noise is down compared to the previous generation MINI, particularly the MCS with the new twin scroll turbo and direct injection. The R56 MCS pulls smoothly throughout the rev range. The only real downside of this is that without sounding as stressed on the top end, it’s possible to find yourself going quite a bit faster than you might have otherwise thought.

LET’S NOT MISTAKE HARSHNESS FOR SPORTINESS

The wrap on the R56 is that it has somehow gone soft because the suspension isn’t as harsh as the R50 and R53. However, I would argue that harshness is just that, harshness.

Make no mistake, the R56 has a firm suspension, but that firmness also has a supple quality to it that is capable of knocking the peaks off of a sharp input. Part of the reason for that is the front struts in the R56 now have about an inch more travel than before.

The results speak for themselves: Even with 17” run-flats the R56 was more comfortable in normal driving than my 2006 MC with 15’s, regular tires, and the Koni FSD’s. That doesn’t mean though that the R56 isn’t just as capable if not more capable than the R50/R53 when pushed to the limit.

At the autocross course, both the automatic and 6-speed manual COOPER were available for us to test. The R56 behaved in the very predictable way that I have become accustomed to with my own MINI. Between the familiar handing and my recent two days of Evolution Autocross School, I was able to put down the fastest time in the morning (timed for awards) and the top time of the day. Having done that, I am now confident that the R56 in essentially showroom stock condition will place very well in the SCCA National Tour and in Topeka.

One interesting side note about the autocross, I was actually about a second to a second and a half quicker in the automatic than the manual COOPER. Part of the reason for this was that the manual transmission COOPERs available to test had 15” wheels with narrower tires. While it would have been nice to test both cars with the same wheels/tires I would say that the new automatic transmission was quite impressive from a performance standpoint compared to the manual.

On the track, we were able to test the COOPER and COOPER S. Again, when really pushed in this environment the R56 seemed to be right at home and the handing responses were spot on and familiar.

LET’S SPEC

I’m sure everyone here has played around with the new MINIUSA configurator and noticed that as the configurator loads, it claims that there are 10 million possible combinations. From what we were told at the launch event, the truth of it is there are actually more like 150 trillion combinations.

As far as options go, here’s my take on a few of them:
  • The Lounge Leather is worth the additional cost over the regular leather. If you’re debating this, stop. You can safely spec the lounge leather. You will be happy you did.
  • The wood and aluminum dashes were also impressive.
  • You no longer need to attempt to avoid the run-flats on the Cooper or spec the 16” wheels instead of the 17” wheels to get a comfortable MINI. The suspension is significantly better in terms of ride comfort.
  • Visually, the 15" wheels on the COOPER look a little small now. I say this as someone who is a big fan of 15's on the R50. 16" wheels seem to fit the R56 COOPER a lot better. Plus, they have the added performance benefit noted above, AND the R56 suspension is so good that there isn't much if any real penalty for going ot the 16" wheels with the lower profile sidewalls and run-flats.

Closing Thoughts

Those North American Motoring members about to take delivery of an R56 will be very happy. With the second evolution of the modern MINI, BMW and MINI have yet again demonstrated their commitment to being good custodians of the MINI brand. Every MINI owner should make a point to get out and test drive an R56. The dual nature of the R56 is a little hard to fully capture in words, but the R56 is less jarring while maintaining that sharp MINI handling. Fear not though, the sport mode lives up to it's billing, and whether you're on open curvy roads or an autocross track, the R56 delivers the goods. The fact that it is also a better car around town makes what MINI has accomplished all the more impressive.

Photo Galleries:
My Photos:

Old 02-08-2007, 08:52 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent review, Dave. Thanks very much for the write up.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:55 AM
The Seeker
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56

Dave,
Good article. I'll reserve judgement on the center stack/speedo, side vents until I see them in person. Do they look better in person ?

Old 02-08-2007, 09:00 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
RE: center stack
The center stack shows a little better in person, but it is still the weak point of the interior for me. I don't hate it though.

Re: side vents
Those have grown on me now. If someone came up with an aftermarket set of vents I might consider them, but I could see living with the stock vents too.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:02 AM
PezRadar
5th Gear
Mood Lighting:
Any experience with this in the cars? Not sure if it was dark when you guys got to see the cars.. How about the Bi-Xenons?

And for anyone over the pond.. Is the mood lighting just for show.. or can it be used all the time while driving? Would look pretty flashy =] I'm all for looks on some nights =P

BTW: Great Review Dave

Old 02-08-2007, 09:12 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
The mood lighting was pretty cool. I got a chance to use it in the evening on the way to and from dinner on Sunday night. Actually if you look at the interior photo above (click on it) you can barely make out the purple mood lighting right above the rear view mirror. It wasn't quite dark enough yet to capture the lights in the doors, but the overall effect is nicely done.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:15 AM
Eric B
3rd Gear
anyone figured out yet if these much talked about new seats can be retrofitted to R50/R52/R53?

Thanks for the write-up and nice pics!
Two of them will be at the local dealer on Valentine's Day. Can't wait to finally see them in person.

-e

Old 02-08-2007, 09:20 AM
PezRadar
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dave
The mood lighting was pretty cool. I got a chance to use it in the evening on the way to and from dinner on Sunday night. Actually if you look at the interior photo above (click on it) you can barely make out the purple mood lighting right above the rear view mirror. It wasn't quite dark enough yet to capture the lights in the doors, but the overall effect is nicely done.
So mood lighting can be used while driving w/o issue? Nice! I just fear battery draining and people not being able to see it from the outside.. but if you can.. that makes it all the more sleek!

Awesome.. Thanks dave

Old 02-08-2007, 09:41 AM
jmelrose
5th Gear
Dave,

When you say you can safely spec the lounge leather, is there any reason to be worried if you have gone with the "regular", like the Tuscan Gravity leather?

Old 02-08-2007, 09:44 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Originally Posted by jmelrose
Dave,

When you say you can safely spec the lounge leather, is there any reason to be worried if you have gone with the "regular", like the Tuscan Gravity leather?
The Tuscan Gravity Leather is cool too.

I just mean that if people were humming and hawwing over the additional cost of the lounge leather, then they don't have to worry about it, the lounge leather is very nice and justifies the cost.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:45 AM
inomis
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Dave, any comments on the standard vs. sport suspensions?

Old 02-08-2007, 09:47 AM
jmelrose
5th Gear
How would you describe the difference between the two textures.

I have a lightning blue MCS on order, white details, sunroof, and the Florida sun. I was thinking a light interior made more sense (and tinted windows).

What am I missing out on by not going to the black (which I strongly considered, but was afraid of the heat factor) lounge leather, besides the lovely piping?

Thank you! Very nice review... glad mine's in the production pipeline now... at least, I have a number.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:52 AM
dickdavid
6th Gear
Thanks for the great write up, Dave!

Old 02-08-2007, 09:54 AM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks Dave. I am now more excited about my R56 than ever ...if that is possible.

dean.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:20 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Dave...very good news!

Old 02-08-2007, 10:44 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Dave, thanks for all your great coverage and photos from the event.

How would you compare the performance of the non-S Cooper engines, R50 vs. R56?

Also, when starting off from a stop during regular in-town driving (without "launching"), how is the low end torque of the Cooper vs S? I'm trying to get a feel for whether the turbo kicks in early enough to give noticable power on city streets.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:52 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
I have read that the burble is gone for US Minis because of complaints BMW received Is there any word on if the ECU can be reprogrammed to get the burble back?

Great write up

Old 02-08-2007, 11:12 AM
RudyT
4th Gear
The one comment or statement I have yet to read out of all the reviews I have seen is the very "first" initial reaction, that very first moment where you lay your eyes on the R56. That first look before it registers in your mind.

For me, when I saw the R56 for the first time, it took a minimum of three looks before I realized it was the R56 rather an R53. From a distance, it was hard to tell the difference, and quite honestly they looked the same to the R53/50. It was only when I approached it and saw the more pronounced hood, side reflector and from different angles, the headlights that I registered I was looking at the R56 MINI.

This fact alone was the start of how wonderful and exciting the R56 was going to be. This test alone showed how BMW keep similar looks of the MINI, keeping its charm we have all growned to love. Pictures do NOT do this car justice. All judgements should be reserved until actually seeing the car for that first time, then you might agree, that we have a very similar looking MINI, but with a very different and much more improved machine.

Old 02-08-2007, 03:01 PM
speednut
5th Gear
Great review Dave, very informative.

So how long will it be before Ian comes up with a new circuit for the R56 that automatically "pushes" the sport mode button for you every time the car is started? I love the DSC de-activation mode his circuit provides on my R53 and I'm sure other performace minded folks would appreciate the same inginuity appled onto the R56.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:34 AM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
From your engine pictures it appears to me that MINI has turned the engine around with the exhaust in the front and the intake in the back and the flywheeo on the passenger side and the timing chain on the driver's side... am I seeing this correctly?

YD

Old 02-09-2007, 08:43 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Yes, the engine in the R56 is clocked 180 degrees from the R50/R53 layout.

(these next three pictures are courtesy of MINIUSA)

Top view of the MCS engine layout

Top view of the MC engine layout

Underneath the MC

Old 02-09-2007, 09:23 AM
jmelrose
5th Gear
Dave,

(This is a repost... I don't know if you missed it yesterday or if I'd used up my question quota already )

In regards to the Tucsan Gravity compared to the lounge leather, how would you describe the difference between the two textures? Could you give us a more in-depth analysis of the difference between the styles and leather qualities?

I have a lightning blue MCS on order, white details, sunroof, and the Florida sun. I was thinking a light interior made more sense (and tinted windows). This is my first leather seated car, so I'm not sure what to look for or expect from this type of seat compared to cloth.

What am I missing out on by not going to the black (which I strongly considered, but was afraid of the heat factor) lounge leather, besides the lovely piping?

Old 02-09-2007, 10:22 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
The lounge leather struck me as being a little softer, particularly in the area toward the front of the seat cushion. For me, I liked the lounge leather cushion a little better. The general appearance of the lounge leather seats appealed more to me too (they seem more fitting of a "british" car to me, if you're into that kind of thing). Both leathers were nice though.

Since you're concerned about heat though, and the Red Lounge leather isn't an option with Lightning Blue, I would go with the Tuscan leather over the black lounge leather. Get it, enjoy it, and don't look back.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:36 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
About the english oak trim...the configurator show it on the dash and on door pulls, but mentions (in text) the e-brake and gearshift ****. Did the MINIs you saw in this trim also feature oak in all these places? It's hard to get a feel, even from the configurator, how the entire package looks (although it seems you liked it).

Also, the sport mode button.........is that an option or standard on Coopers? Was snooping around the configurator for into and didn't see it (unless I missed it). Thanks.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:42 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Originally Posted by gokartride
About the english oak trim...the configurator show it on the dash and on door pulls, but mentions (in text) the e-brake and gearshift ****. Did the MINIs you saw in this trim also feature oak in all these places?
I didn't get enough time with that car to be able to recall.

Originally Posted by gokartride
Also, the sport mode button.........is that an option or standard on Coopers?
Standard.

Quick Reply: R56 NAM Test Drive and Review of the R56