R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Multi Function Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 09:47 AM
glangford
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multi Function Steering Wheel

My MA just sent me a bulletin (MINI Dealer Bulletin) concerning multi function steering wheel, I had ordered the leather one. Apparently they are sending cars over without the multi function wheel even though you may have ordered it, and sending it with a sport leather steering wheel option for $300. This isn't even an option on the configurator. I haven't talked to my MA yet, but spoke to MINI USA and told them I was extremely unhappy to not get what I asked for and on top of that to pay for something I didn't ask for. If I had known muti-function was unavailable, I wouldn't have spent 300 for a leather steering wheel (duh?) He has speced another car with what I want just in case. So I'm to start over and wait another 2 months or accept something i didn't want in about 2 weeks? I guess another option is to walk away...

Old 01-30-2007, 09:53 AM
inomis
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
If confirmed for all multi function wheel orders this will not be good news for me. Maybe I can get a demo for 2 months?

Old 01-30-2007, 10:25 AM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
No doubt...I can't think this is true...just the logistics involved to hose up that many orders..

Old 01-30-2007, 10:51 AM
glangford
6th Gear
My options

I don't know if this is unique to my order, but i doubt it, or why would mini issue a bulletin to the dealers? Any case, I'm not that young anymore (+50) and not having a cruise to stretch my leg, means that I'd have a car i can't take out of town. Seems i have no choice but to wait for another one. If I do that then I have another option. I originally wanted automatic, was told only manual (MC), placed the order, then found out it was only automatic. I drove a friends 6 speed manual and was alittle disappointed when I had to switch back to automatic. Seems if I reorder, I'd be best to just wait for 3/07 build of manual? Any thoughts? What is order to delivery time? Last option is as said before, forget the whole thing.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:53 AM
MiniC
2nd Gear
On my copy of the dealer's online ordering form, the leather multi-function wheel is listed simply as "Sports leather steering wheel" code #255. On their options list #255 is the "sports leather steering wheel w/multi-function and cruise" for $500, not the $550 listed in the configurator. Could this all just be a difference in terminology and not a substitution? Could there possibly have been another change of pricing?

Old 01-30-2007, 11:00 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Unless there is something dramatically different with the wiring harness and the 07’s, I find it hard to believe they can’t or don’t offer the MFSW. I have one in my 02 and every year after they were offered. So way now would they have a problem with this option?

Old 01-30-2007, 11:01 AM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem for me, since I ordered an MCS with package that includes the sport wheel w/multifunction.

But when I look at the online configurator, I see only three options for the MC and MCS:

2-spoke Leather
Wood Sport w/Multifunction $550
Leather Sport w/Multifunction $550

I wonder if the problem is the online ordering system allowed you to specify multifunction/cruise an option on the 2-spoke wheel for $250, and what they're doing is saying, "no such wheel exists, you'll get the three-spoke wheel and you'll pay an extra $300"

Or am I missing something?

Old 01-30-2007, 11:05 AM
glangford
6th Gear
Hosed

You got hosed too I think.

"255 is sport leather steering wheel WITHOUT 249- Multifunction and Cruise Control." The bulletin also says:

"If however, they wanted 255 with 249 Multi-function, you will have to add 249 to the order. "

Old 01-30-2007, 11:14 AM
PezRadar
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe an MA will jump in and confirm.. I got the package that included the wheel so I feel safe.

EDIT: Yep I see 249 and 255 on my order *whew*

I'm good..

Old 01-30-2007, 11:20 AM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
Did you get a copy of the actual bulletin or just an email from your MA?

If you got the bulletin...can you post it?

Old 01-30-2007, 11:22 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
If you got the wheel via the premium package you are safe. you will have multifunction.

If you ordered the 3 spoke leather sterring wheel as a stand alone option because you wanted the multifunction part and it only cost you $300 you'd better call your MA and have him check your vehicle inquiry to see if the multifunction is on there.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:27 AM
designerMINI
5th Gear
Correct me if I'm wrong;
The configurator lists 3 options
2-spoke Leather NC
Wood Sport w/Multifunction $550
Leather Sport w/Multifunction $550

Other than a JCW option that's all the options.
I was told cruise ONLY came with the sport MFSW.
2 spoke leather (appears to be the same wheel sans the controls and a 3rd spoke)
The only other MINI option includes the cruise either in leather or wood -- am I missing something?

Old 01-30-2007, 11:56 AM
inomis
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Hummm... my owner's lounge only says "Sports Leather Steering Wheel". What does it say for those that have #249 on your paperwork? My paperwork is not with me at the moment.

Old 01-30-2007, 12:01 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
You are missing the bulletin that MINI just issued to dealers stating the first run of cars had to have the multifunction specified in addition to the leather steering wheel (if leather steering wheel was ordered ala cart). For now you can order just the leather 3 spoke leather wheel for $300 without the multifunction bits. It is not shown on the configurator. Starting Feb 26th ALL leather 3 spoke steering wheel will have multifunction but price increases to $550.
If you are in doubt about your already placed order call your MA and have him check your vehicle inquiry!

Old 01-30-2007, 12:09 PM
glangford
6th Gear
Motor Mouth is correct. I expected multi-function as that is all the configurator showed. Got something different. Told MA I'm not inclined to accept the MINI for reasons cited above.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:03 PM
MiniC
2nd Gear
Just talked with my MA, yes there is an ordering glitch. He told me I had the option to accept the car as is, or he would re-order for me. Yes, I'm disappointed, but it was not the dealers fault. They have been upfront about the problem and are willing to do what they can to remedy the situation.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:07 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
You can retrofit the R53, so I would just ask for that.

FWIW, I am now worried too, as I have the option for the 255 Sports leather steering wheel at $500 - no mention of multi-function...

Randy

Old 01-30-2007, 02:13 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
I also have On-Board Computer listed in the OL, but not on my order - could that be MFSW?

Randy

Old 01-30-2007, 02:21 PM
glangford
6th Gear
Randy, I'm afraid per the bulletin I read you are probably hosed as I am. Per the Bulletin, the sports leather steering wheel if not ordered with 249 Multi function cruise control will be just a 300 option with sport leather steering wheel. (I recieved an updated build sheet from MA with price drop to 300 with sports steering wheel, without option 249 as well. This was never an option on the configurator. I am absolutely livid. The corporate arrogance to not deliver what was ordered and advertised on the miniusa site, and then to charge for an option that is f***ing meaningless is absurd. I'm an engineer, and this says little for plant operations and logistics. (or maybe speaks volumes in a negative way. I told my MA I'm not accepting the car. He configured another as I originally intended for next week build (wait all over), I told him to hold off on that as well. I may just drop 10 and punt.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:23 PM
MiniC
2nd Gear
Looks like you didn't get the mutlifunction wheel, either. The on board computer is standard, according to the configurator.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:32 PM
mini-number1
2nd Gear
Vdc

could the VDC maby change the stering wheel.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:34 PM
PetesPepperWhite
2nd Gear
I ordered a cabrio with the MFSW. I looked at the configurator for the cabrio and it still lists it as an option for $250. I'm hoping this mess only applies to the coupe--anyone know anything about that? Thanks.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:36 PM
mininovice
3rd Gear
I am totally confused by reading this post: My invoice states wood sport wheel with multifunction $550 will I get that wheel or not?

Old 01-30-2007, 02:38 PM
MiniC
2nd Gear
glangford,
The dealer and the MA are not the problem so why get mad at them! They're willing to reorder for you. The MINI will be worth the additional wait. There is no excuse for the ordering misinformation. You, as an engineer, should know that no matter how well things are planned and organized, when humans are involved, mistakes are inevitable. Be patient, reorder your MINI, auto or manual, and enjoy "motoring".

Old 01-30-2007, 02:46 PM
glangford
6th Gear
I am not mad at the dealer, and he understands this. But I think it is really corporate arrogance to not deliver what was requested and then charge for something meaningless. I probably will reorder when I calm down. Question is if I do reorder, do I wait and extra month for manual on MC?

Quick Reply: R56 Multi Function Steering Wheel